New Gaming Display Advice? (PC + PS5)

Hello!
So i still have my ASUS VE248 PC display. Its a fine display but not very up to date and it only supports 1080p max output.
So i was looking for an upgrade here and there for months and months and months
but then the PS5 was released and the PS5 has no 1440p output.
I dont have the budget for these awesome 4K HDR 900-1500 € / USD PC displays. My budget is like 600€ max.
But the 4K PC displays in that 500€ or below price range seem very mixed in terms of overall ratings. Most of them are 'okay' but not awesome.

1440p displays have very good overall ratings in that price range ... so what do i do now? Should i just keep my 1080p display,
should i look for a 1440p display that can downscale from 4K instead of upscaling from 1080p
or should i wait and then buy one of the more expensive 4K displays?
I found this monitor, released in february 2021, (ASUS ROG STRIX XG27AQ) it says it supports 1440p at 60 Hz on the PS5
(i dont care about 120, 144 Hz etc), so i guess it is able to downscale from 4K?
Is this a good upgrade or are there any other suggestions?

On PC i'm only using the display for Youtube, Twitch and some Steam games,
so i dont need a special display for graphics design, editing or something like that. I'm also not looking for a new tv.
Should i just go for that ASUS ROG STRIX XG27AQ?

I've got a couple of these.

4k 60hz. The only downside is it is limited to 60hz across the board and the HDR is a bit hit and miss. For the price though I can't complain at all.

600 Euros is more than enough for a solid 4k monitor I'd say. At the higher end, you're paying for nice to have features like higher refresh rates and HDR. But if you don't care about that stuff, I think you'd be more than fine purchasing around your budget. Also, if you're not doing things like colour critical or professional grade work, you don't really need best in class specs across the board. For what it's worth, up until recently, I've been gaming on a cheap Samsung 4k monitor from 4 years ago and I've been perfectly happy with the experience.

A good resource to check out is RTINGS. They do very comprehensive tech reviews of a lot of different monitors.

The thing that gets me a bit 'worried' or unsure is:
Of course there are a lot of websites and magazines that do tests for tv's and displays and so on
and it is very easy to find these kind of reviews for each year and for gaming etc
but literally every single time when i take these review winners
and search for them on Amazon or whatever hardware stores there are,
the actual user reviews are pretty average or mixed most of the time.

So what do i do then? Completely ignore the user rating and only listen to the 'official' magazine reviews
or should i ignore these reviews and go for the displays with the overall best user rating?
Because it seems like to me that these two parties are never on the same page.

I google the most up to date display winner from last summer which has 09/10 stars,
then on Amazon it has 3/5 stars and on the website of two other big electronic shops
it has 2 and 2,5 out of 5 stars ... so ... what do i do then?

'Review: this is the newest display model and it has actually no backlight bleeding at all and awesome colors'
'Amazon user review: this new model is way worse than the model before and has a ton of backlight bleeding'

I found a ASUS list for 1440p displays that do support 1440p output, downscaled from 2160p on PS5.
So instead of upscaling 1080p to 1440p, they are downscaling 2160p to 1440p
which looks way better. And the ASUS ROG STRIX XG27AQ is listed there.

The 4K gaming display (300-600€) user reviews are very mixed, theres everything between perfect and awful,
so maybe i will just go for the best 1440p display in the 400-600€ price range
because its way easier to find overall very good reviews there.
Also i'm fine with 27 to 32".

I'm always impressed with NEC because they can swivel vertical aka tate mode for Trizeal, Trigger Heart Exelica and Karous, which are three of my favorite DC games criminally underplayed--and in yoko mode when I do finally play to scratch the itch :/

I've found a 24 inch 16:10 DisplayPort/HDMI/DVI-D/VGA:

My VGA-DVI upscaler goes upto 2K, so I'm about experience Shenmue and Dreamcast in 1600x1200 soon enough

Even "office" LED or IPS displays nowadays are 6ms response time plus good contrast and PPI...!

I think i found a winner. Its a 4K PC monitor, released in October - December 2020
but it really didnt arrive until March - June 2021.
Its the AOC U28G2AE.

Judging by pretty much every single tech review i could find on dozens of websites,
in the price range of 300-900€,
this is the one display where overall 80-90% of all tech reviews and user reviews
are good or very good.

It costs around 300-350€. Its 4K @60Hz and no HDR or any special features,
so its just the most basic new released 4K display
but judging by all the reviews its one of the best displays if you just want a good looking 4K screen with no extras.
I know, 60 Hz is not the best and it has no HDR
BUT
it still will be an upgrade for me because my Asus monitor from 2012 is just a 60 Hz 1080p monitor.
And the AOC one even has a better brightness than my Asus one
even tho i never had a problem with the brightness.

I couldnt find any super bad tech or user review for this monitor,
it has above 4,5 / 5 stars on pretty much every website and its also one of the newest.
So i think i cant go wrong with it for around 300€.

The only alternative to that is the ASUS TUF Gaming VG289Q1A for around 350€,
i think thats a 2021 re release of the 2019 model.
But its very easy to find average / bad reviews for that because of backlight bleeding and other stuff.

So i think i will go for the AOC U28G2AE except if someone here wants to raise an objection?

Decided not to go with 16:10... simply going to wait for a cyber week sale to see if I can get a decent 2K or 4K display. If not, 1080p are still fantastic for me and a nice 22" NEC will suit me perfect for Dreamcast plus any other system.

Well now after one and a half months, i tried the 27" 4K AOC U28G2AE monitor,
didnt like the image quality at all - returned it.
Then upgraded a bit by choosing the 27" 4K LG 27UP850-W monitor
and the brightness and HDR support was nice but it had some really weird color boost
which you can not turn off. So i returned that too.

Then i upgraded again by choosing the 40" 4K Panasonic TX-40JXW834 TV
and the HDR, colors, settings are really really nice (for example it has a option to deactivate that same LG color boost)
but the screen has a slight malfunction where you can see a horizontal grey bar on bright colors.
I asked Panasonic about it and provided some photos and they said yeah it looks wrong
and they could send support staff to check it and take it to a repair shop for free
but they cant tell me how long it would take.

So in the end, they suggested that i should simply return it to the shop and then buy it again somewhere else for example.
So now i'm returning this one too.
One and a half months of ordering, shipping, testing, chatting with the support,
returning it, waiting for the money and then same thing again and again
and now i still dont have a new screen. I'm tired.

Last edited:
Back