NEW INFO - Shenmue 3 Reboot Conference Summary

ShenSun

Site Staff

This is all from memory and rough notes, so please feel free to correct me on anything that may be out of place

Shenmue will have a smaller open world compared to modern open world games. Suzuki is more focused on diversity and solving the same problem or event in the game using different approaches.

Recalling from memory, Yu said there were 20 people outside the studio playing the game and he's very pleased that each of them are finding their own solutions to the same problems. That's his vision of open world games.

What Does Real World Mean To Shenmue?
Suzuki states that the real world is pretty boring. He would rather implement real world elements into Shenmue and spice things with other features. Certain real world elements include things such as real world animations.

For example, Suzuki tried to create many true NPCS from China to mimic the reality of being in China. The actual music in Shenmue 3 also uses Chinese instruments.

Spicing Things Up

5U9D8V6.jpg

You probably wouldn't see this boat in china. One of the designers at YsNet was good a making boats, so this is the boat they used. Shaders and neon signs can be added to make it feel like a Chinese boat

Ysnet Staff & NPC variation
Suzuki really respects his staff. they're making Shenmue 3 as a team. He had a design document for Shenmue. When showing it to staff, he realize the staff were good at certain areas and not good at certain other areas. He therefore altered the game design to match the staffs strengths

Example of where design has been altered?

When they were initially making the game, they had designers good at making Chinese NPC models and some that were good at making Disney like looking characters. He let them both create the different characters and then decided which direction they would go in

For the Disney looking characters, Ysnet added spices(shaders, tweaking colors etc) to make them blend into the vision and design of Shenmue. This explains the NPCS variations. (In my opinion this is a very inclusive and respectable approach to the team at Ysnet)

Where Are You Putting Alot of Your Effort In Shenmue 3
Suzuki feels he had elements in shenmue1 and 2 that were not connected. In Shenmue 3 he wanted to connect the different elements together to make one connected game.

Example: side jobs

When you do different side jobs, you take the money and use it to gamble. when you play the mini game u win prizes. When u get the prizes, you take it to the pawn shop and get money. This exist in japan as Packinco. you cant get money directly as that would be bad money

The systems in Shenmue 3 are now connected. he wanted a central system core to the game.

Skill Book
There is a skill book which connects a lot of the different piece of the game together. when you collect a lot of the items, you can unlock skills in the skill book to use in the story. Suzuki is very happy he was able to achieve this connected game that he envisioned.

(There are 6 others categories that is not shown on the slide)

More Info On Connectivity & Areas

Bailu village is one of the two main areas you'll be able to go into the game. Prizes can be sold for money or exchanged for skills in the skill book. Some skills you can buy with money, some require you to acquire a set amount of items

Items You Can Exchange For Example

The following screenshot is one of the pawn shops in Shenmue 3

The next screen shot is of the prize exchange shop

You will use tokens to exchange for some of these items. These items are used to unlock skills in the skill book. These are not available in the game world to find freely. There are premium exchange location where you can find more items or less items. Prices vary in these shops.

Battle Elements Of Shenmue 3

shenmue-III-01.jpg

For the battle system, one of the things Suzuki wanted to do was create more difficulty options. if you make it to easy so new players will enjoy it, the core hardcore fans will get frustrated, but u dont want to leave people out. You want it to be as enjoyable as possible to many people.

The difficulty settings in Shenmue 3 will match dip switches from fighting games in arcades

In other words there will be 4 different difficulties
  • Easy
  • Recommend
  • Master (hard)
  • DONT PLAY THIS
its not just about providing different difficulty options. its also about making sure the command inputs are easy as possible, so people are enjoying the game and command inputs are not ruining the fun

You can designate 5 skills to auto skills. Cycle through them with L2 and R2 and press a button to activate the skills. This allows more accessibility

This also allows a younger players or someone not good at fighting games to enjoy the game and story. As long as your able to press a button, you'll be able to do the moves

Shenmue was meant to be different from Virtual fighter, its not suppose to be this sever timing fighting game. its suppose to be you having fun with the fights

Shenmue DOJO:love:

in original Shenmue there was a Dojo, but it didn't serve a purpose other than to practice

in Shenmue 3 you can do the following
  • Kung fu
  • Sparing
  • Matches
You can gain power ups from doing these 3 activities

Kung Fu
Ryo against against a wooden dummy. This builds up your endurance and make u stronger. It also allows you to take more hits in a fight

Sparring
Levels up your skills, gives u more damage in a fight. (Similar to Shenmue 1)

Matches
Allow you to go up against stronger enemies and practice for stronger bosses in the game's story

levels are in the game, letting you know what level you and a boss are. ( I'm assuming Ryo level 10 - Lan Di level 50). You'll have to build up Ryo in order to take on Lan Di. etc

Can Someone With No Knowledge Of The Previous Shenmues Enjoy Shenmue 3

Even if you haven't played Shenmue 1 or 2, you can still enjoy Shenmue 3. There will be digest movies showing you what happened in the previous games. (I'm guessing similar to Yakuza 3, 4 etc). Of course, the best method is to go and buy the rereleases of Shenmue 1 and 2

What Sort Of Mini Gams Does Shenmue 3 Have?

You'll be able to find many mini games in Shenmue 3 in many locations. Suzuki wanted to put his focus on mechanical and analog carnival type of games. There are of course still video games which can be played. However, there is a heavier focus on mechanical games. Suzuki felt that this would fit the game world of shenmue 3 more appropriately.

The mini games are also connected to the world of Shenmue 3. You can get tickets for winning a game and you can use the tickets to unlock more skills in the skill book.

Being able to go around Shenmue 3 and do many things in this connected world is one of the things Suzuki is very happy you'll be able to do.

The Forklift

D33MrB3WkAITtRS.jpg

The Shenmue 3 Forklift is slower than Shenmue 1 Forklift

The Forklift mini game is connected to the overall game (unlocking game elements etc)

There are secrets that can be done with the forklift, which Suzuki will not say?

Closing Remarks Message To The Fans

There are differences between Shenmue 1 and 2. Shenmue 3 will also be different. There are many new gameplay elements in Shenmue 3. However, it will still feel like a Shenmue game

Stream Archive

Attachments

• 100.png
    100.png
    1,020.3 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
No problem guys. That was a great hour of non stop Shenmue content. It literally came out of nowhere lol. There's a ton of info for us to dive through.

Recalling from memory (will check the VOD if available later), but Yu said there are 20 people outside the studio playing the game and he's very pleased that each of them are finding their own solutions to the same problems. That's his vision of open world games.

Thanks Spags. I missed some of that part due to my browser crashing. I'll add it to the op.

I want that scary mask and the sledge hammer. Lan Di doesn't stand a chance.......

I didn't consider the mask would be wearable, I thought it was just something similar to a rare capsule toy like those bears might be. :LOL:

D39vzsGXsAAwu-7.jpg

Also, usually I like disabling the mini map most of the time, but this one here is so damn beautiful. It's like a water colour painting on a wood block. Fucking rad.

D39zfJdW0AMQYTR.jpg:large

The machine in the middle against the wall has a steering wheel, but it doesn't appear to have a screen. There also appears to be a lot of desert/cactus imagery on it. Is it some kind of mechanical racing game? Like, controlling toy cars? Something like a micro machines game with tiny cars like hot wheels?

Last edited:
D39zfJdW0AMQYTR.jpg:large

The machine in the middle against the wall has a steering wheel, but it doesn't appear to have a screen. There also appears to be a lot of desert/cactus imagery on it. Is it some kind of mechanical racing race? Like, controlling toy cars? Something like a micro machines game with tiny cars like hot wheels?
IMO it's more likely to be a mechanical shooing game, like the one in Back to the Future 3. It would fit the western theme too.

That's just the prize exchange UI. I don't think Ryo's actual inventory will look like that. It'd be too messy considering there are much more types of items now.

also I hate this picture.
d39u9zcwwaiis9husj0e.jpg

The only thing I don't like about these screen is this dopey ass looking guy.

Thank you @ShenSun ! Love, love, love the new screens as I said in the other thread. Particularly the arcade shot.

And also actual arcade video games confirmed? Even if it's not that many? Awesome! Very happy with this update. Shenmue in-game looks exactly like Dreamcast Shenmue but at a higher fidelity and more modern. And that's precisely what I wanted. Only thing that has me worried is the NPC cohesion (the two different styles based on the skills of the designers) but that's just a minor issue. I don't want to dampen what is a very exciting, reassuring and excellent look at the game.

What a lovely surprise today, and also the other day with the forklift screenshot. Shenmue approaches!

Back