NEW INFO - Shenmue 3 Reboot Conference Summary

I just noticed the watch interface at the top right of this pic and now I feel dumb. :lol:

60-Reboot_2019_Guide_for_Exchange_Cycle.jpg

Btw, can't get over how awesome this map is.

ZQbHF97.png

I've been trying to analyze it and I think I got most of it worked out.

The grey/brown squares are buildings.
The grey/white is either clouds or rocks and mountains.
The darker green area are trees/mountains
The light brown is the walking path.

KFdGuDP.png

This is... I dunno. Some kind of field? It kind of looks like a track.

Also interesting to note is this round building here.

5SAUo2J.png

Is it a temple?

Wasnt it estimated that this game would take 20-30 hours to complete?

Ha. No way, not for me. I can see me pushing 100 hours on my first playthough. All those collectables, sets, herbs and whatnot will have me hooked. I know it wont be that way for everyone of course, but as someone who was addicted to doing everything in game like The Wither 3, God of War, Horizon etc.... this is way more than I could have asked for.
Same.

Even though there's been a boost to the gamey elements of Shenmue, it feels like it justifies spending more time within the world as a life sim.

Last Shenmue 1 and 2 playthrough I tried to get all the scrolls and toys, pretty much got all of them as well (missed that one damn hard to get scroll in 2, and missed the Afterburner 2 toy because I suck bad at the game). I like playing the games slow, hearing the dialogue as I go and exploring. I did my fast runs when I initially played the games on release. But for 3 I'll be taking things slow again. the toys/prizes/gambling/dojo training stuff are all things I'll very much enjoy doing so I can see it taking me a while to finish it all!

Ha. No way, not for me. I can see me pushing 100 hours on my first playthough. All those collectables, sets, herbs and whatnot will have me hooked. I know it wont be that way for everyone of course, but as someone who was addicted to doing everything in game like The Wither 3, God of War, Horizon etc.... this is way more than I could have asked for.

I'm going to spend at least 30 hours just exploring the world and try to force myself through every corner of the map.

I'm going to spend at least 30 hours just exploring the world and try to force myself through every corner of the map.

I will go even further and try and break the game. I cant help feel like I will play this game like The Witcher 3 (which I am currently on my 2nd 100% playthrough, I keep bringing it up for that reason, as well as for some reason, I feel Velen may be a bit like Shenmue 3 in terms of design, ie, dirt paths, forest areas, thatched buildings etc), where I will try to exploit any areas of the map, like boundaries etc. Trying to get past things which shouldn't get past, alternative routes, possible game breaking instances etc. I play the game primarily as a gamer, but there's a part of me that plays like a tester, which is fun for me!

All of the screens, including even the forklift one, are apparently from... the 4th of June 2018.

I'm not totally certain this is accurate, but at the same time the metadata hasn't been incorrect before. Puzzling, really, really puzzling.

EDIT: I'm more willing to believe the "2019" watermark for these screens than the metadata at this point, but who knows, really?

wow! Could that be true? lol
Why would that specific date be in the metadata then?
Actually, the 2018 date kind of makes sense... As you cannot see many npcs in the distance and some of the vendors spots are empty..

EDIT: I take back what I said. Upon close examitaion, I think the metadata date is not accurate. More than one image has the exactly same date and hour so that can't be true.

Last edited:
What people need to remember also is that these are not just 2 simple areas to play in, and that's it.

Think of Bailu Village and Niaowu in the context of describing Shenmue 2 to someone - "Ah yea you first play in Hong Kong, then later in the game go out to a place called Kowloon." But the reality of it is that both Hong Kong and Kowloon are broken up into multiple areas, sometimes stretching across a vast distance.
Bailu Village and Niaowu will be exactly like that, so there could be more rural areas of Niaowu for example, but I cant remember the exact number of areas exactly.

On the new pictures: Save for the facial animations, there's one thing I hope will be improved: Ryo's hair textures. They look really bad. Really low quality. And that's something that is neither a budget problem or hardware power problem.
S3_MAGIC_2019_02_Two-against-the-mystery.jpg

As you can see, the right side of his hair seems to be... touched up manually. Which i feel like they've been doing a lot with the hair in these screenshots, drawing lines on the hair to give a better look to it, yet in videos or even on the left side of his hair, there's none of these touch up which are showing a rough look.

Edit: On the other hand, Shenhua's hair looks really nice even in videos. I feel like her model received more care and attention compare to Ryo's model.

On the new pictures: Save for the facial animations, there's one thing I hope will be improved: Ryo's hair textures. They look really bad. Really low quality. And that's something that is neither a budget problem or hardware power problem.
S3_MAGIC_2019_02_Two-against-the-mystery.jpg

As you can see, the right side of his hair seems to be... touched up manually. Which i feel like they've been doing a lot with the hair in these screenshots, drawing lines on the hair to give a better look to it, yet in videos or even on the left side of his hair, there's none of these touch up which are showing a rough look.

Edit: On the other hand, Shenhua's hair looks really nice even in videos. I feel like her model received more care and attention compare to Ryo's model.
That's maybe because of the image compression man. Rendering in real time, the game will look much better!

That's maybe because of the image compression man. Rendering in real time, the game will look much better!

Nah, this is unrelated to compression. The above picture isn't compressed as you can see the parts that have been touched up are crystal clear. Even in the trailer despite compression you can see how Shenhua's hair looks higher res, which is a shame considering Ryo's model is shaping up better and better.

I dunno.

I'm skeptical about why shots from 2018 would be watermarked "2019" and sat on for nearly a full year, only to be used in a panel with Yu Suzuki where they conveniently explain the content he wants to talk about.

I think it might be more likely the metadata is somehow wrong in this case.

Considering that Shenmue III's target release date was like December 2017 or something like that, it's possible that the game was playable from start to finish as early as that time.

Not surprising that Yu Suzuki would put year and a half images for the sake of keeping the polished product under wraps. We're talking about the same man who intentionally would crash his own game to keep higher ups from seeing his recent builds. Lol.

I'm starting to feel inclined to trust the small few who have played the game already who are saying that the graphics are fine.

To keep things in perspective... we still have not seen what the final build of Shenmue III looks like to this day.

Let us know what that bad ending looks like when you get there. :)

Not long left. Only a month - Max two months till we have so much shenmue 3 content that are brains will probably melt.

I really want to start another rpg. I was looking at the witcher 3, but i wanna play shenmue 1 in june and shenmue 2 in july. I doubt, May will be enough time to get through the witcher. Gonna stick to dragonball heroes and mortal kombat for now. Pick up and play games

I will go even further and try and break the game. I cant help feel like I will play this game like The Witcher 3 (which I am currently on my 2nd 100% playthrough, I keep bringing it up for that reason, as well as for some reason, I feel Velen may be a bit like Shenmue 3 in terms of design, ie, dirt paths, forest areas, thatched buildings etc), where I will try to exploit any areas of the map, like boundaries etc. Trying to get past things which shouldn't get past, alternative routes, possible game breaking instances etc. I play the game primarily as a gamer, but there's a part of me that plays like a tester, which is fun for me!

What I meant when saying force my way through every corner of the map.

Back