NEW INFO - Shenmue 3 Reboot Conference Summary

D4D_F_iW4AEkdxq.jpg

D4D_HkgWkAA8CFY.jpg

D4D_JN-X4Aonosb.jpg

D4D_LxCWsAEYUfP.jpg

""It's Interesting to note that in December 2016, Yu Suzuki visited the "Musée Mécanique" in San Francisco. Evidently, the visit has been source of inspiration for Yu San!""" @ShenmueForever

More at Phatomriverstone.

http://www.phantomriverstone.com/2017/01/shenmue-3-reward-dinner-in-la-with-yu.html

Also, here is a gameplay video.

""It's Interesting to note that in December 2016, Yu Suzuki visited the "Musée Mécanique" in San Francisco. Evidently, the visit has been source of inspiration for Yu San!""" @ShenmueForever

I've been to this museum in San Francisco and it's a wonderful place. It's filled with dozens and dozens of fascinating electromechanical games. The technical artistry is really inspiring. It even has free admission! I highly recommend to everyone, definitely check it out when you visit SF.

The lettering became a little garbled with the image processing to increase the resolution, but looking at the screen captures, I think the driving game might be called HIGHWAY.

I love how we're seeing arcades and forklifts in Bailu Village/Niaowu when Shenhua said in Shenmue 2 "Oh, we don't have forklifts here, we use cows instead because we live in beautiful nature and have never used technology before"... ?

It certainly is a weird looking game. I've never seen such a creation.

Additional Images from Switches Blog post

The last machine on the right seems to be Wack A Mole

arcade-interior-2000.jpg

whac_mole_se_large1.png

Amazing, how all the fans can figure out these things with a small glimpse of an image.

http://www.phantomriverstone.com/2019/04/recap-analysis-new-shenmue-3.html

Yeah, it is 100% a Whack 'a Mole game. Like all the rest of the arcade games, I bet it'll be a sequel due to it looking likely more advanced than the actual real life machines.

Cant wait to see the pinball machine btw.

Also the only real cpu video game we know of inside the arcade is Excite QTE 3.

I hope there is at least one other 80s style video game arcade machine that isnt just a qte mini game...

I love how we're seeing arcades and forklifts in Bailu Village/Niaowu when Shenhua said in Shenmue 2 "Oh, we don't have forklifts here, we use cows instead because we live in beautiful nature and have never used technology before"... ?

The forklifts are clearly in Chobu, which is quite a way aways from Bailu. Shenhua has never really strayed far from her home town, apart from exploring farmer markets and the mountains. Remember, based on screenshots we've seen, to get to Chobu you have to travel a far distance by boat as well as have to walk across a long and huge ass bridge and wall, to get to the port city. She is a village girl through and through, so this will all be new to her. She has never been to Chobu, and to her its probably the same experience Ryo felt when traveling from the tiny ass urban city of Yokosuka to the huge bustling urban metropolis that was Hong Kong. She's a fish out of water. In Chobu she'll be out of her element. The most modern thing she has seen is probably that arcade.

Last edited:
One dream of mine is to see some people who are good with coding do a port of the PS2 versions of Yakuza 1 and 2 to the Dreamcast. It might take multiple discs but I think that's possible considering the fact that Shenmue is graphically on par with those games.
I'm not trying to shit on those games because they're great, but Shenmue is FAR superior graphically.
Untitled.png

Ray Tracing is not yet ready for the mass market though. So your comment is still funny in a manner speaking. It is not eve nclear if the so called next gen hardware will support Ray Tracing at all. Maybe in S4 this might be a possibility but not in 3. I also do think they will re release it on the next gen. For a Next Gen Game Shenmue does not look good enough. But let's wait and see.

Wow... you say this while a plethora of games actually do support it now. It's entirely possible for them to use any form of Ray Tracing right now in Shenmue 3. The artistic style has no impact on the ability to do Ray Tracing. Ray Tracing is here and while it's not 100% perfect, it very much is 'ready for use'.. which means 'ready for developers to implement into their games if they want to'. By no means am I saying it will or will not be in Shenmue 3, but your condescension here seems quite unnecessary. I know what I'm talking about, too.

Some odd pc games with a special graphics card may support it, but the PC realm is not interesting for me. I am talking as a console gamer. And the current gen consoles do not use ray tracing, and there is no reliable information, that the chips from the next gen consoles are going to support Ray tracing. I do not think so. because the Geforce 2080 you need for ray tracing costs more than a console itself. But we will see. The hardware has not announced yet.

Last edited:
Some odd pc games with a special graphics card may support it, but the PC realm is not interesting for me. I am talking as a console gamer. And the current gen consoles do not use ray tracing, and there is no reliable information, that the chips from the next gen consoles are going to support Ray tracing. I do not think so. because the Geforce 2080 you need for ray tracing costs more than a console itself. But we will see. The hardware has not announced yet.

Why does this have anything to do with console ray-tracing? They could very easily just have ray-tracing settings in the PC version and have no Ray Tracing in the console versions? :what: I never mentioned console ray tracing.

I was speaking from the console point of view the whole time. I also do not think that Y-s net will use much time to please the ""Pc" Master Race as at all. They will try to give the best experience for all platforms and do not make the game PC centric

Mark Cerny revived not only Yakuza bit Shenmue ?
I think that narrative that Sony is more or less responsible for Shenmue's revival needs to stop. Especially when they've been doing so little and contributing to next to nothing.

It's also a disservice for Shibuya Production and Cedric Biscay who has been working hard to make it happen.

I literally gave Cedric the biggest props in another thread. Cerny got Yu at the 2014 GDC, which we now know is where the wheels began turning with Sony and Payton had introduced Yu to kickstarter. Also, Cerny championed both franchises inclusion on their most-wanted list around the time of PS4s launch.

You're a revisionist if you believe the inclusion on the survey at all and backing up Suzuki for E3 is next to nothing. Funny how 4 years and a real Shenmue 3 makes some forget.

I literally gave Cedric the biggest props in another thread. Cerny got Yu at the 2014 GDC, which we now know is where the wheels began turning with Sony and Payton had introduced Yu to kickstarter. Also, Cerny championed both franchises inclusion on their most-wanted list around the time of PS4s launch.

Which is nothing but words and PR from Sony.
It's nice to say "Shenmue is on our most wanted list !"
It's different from bringing funds, marketing or even technologies and support.

I was speaking from the console point of view the whole time. I also do not think that Y-s net will use much time to please the ""Pc" Master Race as at all. They will try to give the best experience for all platforms and do not make the game PC centric

They dont need to make the game PC centric. It's an Unreal Engine 4 game. Just pushing the draw distances, framerate and resolution will make the game shine even more.

Read my edit, please. They did bring funds, and before Deep Silver were going to printing the discs and covers as part of their minimal publishing deal.

No Sony or Cerny pulling strings there behind the scenes and we have, at best, our 6 million scaled back Shenmue III, which would've been fine for me, but definitely not what we will be getting now--if anything whatsoever. Shibuya might've financed less than 6m or around there without a kickstarter because without Sony/Cerny/Payton I don't know if Yu ever goes the KS route.

Again, revisionism.

They dont need to make the game PC centric. It's an Unreal Engine 4 game. Just pushing the draw distances, framerate and resolution will make the game shine even more.

Ah ok good to know. I had never much love for pc gaming. These days pc are just working devices for me, and not the place to play games. I love my consoles for that . But if is easy and the quality of the ps4 version does not suffer, I do no mind if the pc people get their ray tracing.

There's no limitation to raytracing anymore, neither to Ys Net or to the general people. Sure, things need to be optimized and believe me, Shenmue III will require optimization as it is a console game as well as it is a PC game. The console version will need more optimization as that is just a standard for pretty much any console game - you have limited hardware. I actually have a PS4 Pro and bought the game twice, one for PC and one for PS4. I think they could use some raytracing features in the PC version, who knows.

Read my edit, please. They did bring funds, and before Deep Silver were going to printing the discs and covers as part of their minimal publishing deal.

No Sony or Cerny pulling strings there behind the scenes and we have, at best, our 6 million scaled back Shenmue III, which would've been fine for me, but definitely not what we will be getting now--if anything whatsoever. Shibuya might've financed less than 6m or around there without a kickstarter because without Sony/Cerny/Payton I don't know if Yu ever goes the KS route.

Again, revisionism.

On the opposite I have an excellent memory of what happened : Sony since the beginning has been very clear: It was going to be handled by their "3rd party production" studio, which is basically handling small indie partnerships and such. They never brought any meaningful funds. If Deep Silver didnt stepped in indeed, they would've basically handled disc printing and stuff like this. But nothing related to the game or the budget. Only external stuff, unlike DS and Shibuya Production. The revisionnism is indeed to claim Sony has been pulling strings here when they did nothing but ride on the hype of the announcement to then disappear totally.

Back