NEW INFO - Shenmue 3 Reboot Conference Summary

Details from the arcade shot I noticed:

. EXCITE QTE 3 is indeed to the left of QTE TITLE 2, you can just about see the 3
. The whack-a-mole game has the Ys Net logo on the machine
. There's someone inside the arcade you can just slightly see the back of

Noticed all of these even in the LQ pics.

Also, the name of the driving game looks to be Highway Seas.

There are 4 letters after Highway, so stars doesnr seem to fit.

Suzuki initially planned to change radically the Shenmue formula though. But then, he was advised not to do so and he eventually decided to keep rather a 50-50 new/old ratio to please fans.
What's the source on this? Because we know through development the balance of old:new went from 70:30 to 50:50 between 2017 and late 2018.

Star fits though.

That's what it looks like to me, personally.

We'll have to argee to disagee on this one. Looks totally like Highway Seas to me. :LOL:

Anyway, I am really surprised that arcade seems to be in Chobu. If that isnt a mistake then it looks so different than the rest of Chobu and imo, thats amazing as it means its a very diverse city. Or, it could be on the outskirts of Chobu to attract tourists to the port city.

Either way, pretty neat/exciting.

Source may be Kickstarter in 2015 but I don't remember well. Ryan Payton was the one who advised him to keep rather the old formula, then they both agreed that a compromise was the right solution.

@9dragons

I don't think it necessary means it would have followed the modern OW path but rather he had tons of new ideas. I'm very curious to know what vision he had for Shenmue 3 at this time. Maybe the Baisha gameplay is what remains from the original idea.

Source may be Kickstarter in 2015 but I don't remember well. Ryan Payton was the one who advised him to keep rather the old formula, then they both agreed that a compromise was the right solution.
They disagreed over something (heard about in the Back in my Play podcast Ryan was on), but I'm not sure it was ever revealed exactly what.

btw, can someone post links to the HQ screenshots?
20-reboot_2019_walk_a1pj23.jpg

30-reboot_2019_pawn_s7ajwg.jpg

40-reboot_2019_talk_wyijg3.jpg

50-reboot_2019_prize_5jk1s.jpg

60-reboot_2019_guide_07k4e.jpg

80-reboot_2019_chobu_nekm3.jpg

ryo_gets_a_forklift_jvnkmg.jpg

I'm really liking the idea of most of the arcade games in 3 being mechanical as opposed to video games like in 1 and 2. Its something that hasn't really been tackled in games all that much, it'll be a nice change to classic Sega games in the arcade (which I already got from Shenmue 1, 2 and various Yakuza's already).

Even the HQ screenhots look like they have a filter on them. There are parts where its clearly very smudgy.

Do you mean in terms of depth of field effects, or something else?

I mean it looks like someone applied an subtle instagram filter over the images, or they enabled HQ2X upscaler in an emulator.

These do not seem as crisp compared to other HQ screenshots.

I'll try to show what I mean when I am back on my computer.

I mean it looks like someone applied an subtle instagram filter over the images, or they enabled HQ2X upscaler in an emulator.

These do not seem as crisp compared to other HQ screenshots.

I'll try to show what I mean when I am back on my computer.
HQ images of Shenmue III, or other games? Many other games have their screenshots rendered out above 1080p then downsampled for a sharper, cleaner image.

Alternatively it could be an FXAA solution being used.

So, it looks like something similar to this has been done to the screenshots.

Cxfdz_mWEAA95we.jpg

For example, look at Ryo's shoes. They're just a blured mess.

jYy7RX9.png

And the same applies for this ladies hair, and hands.

weEZbv5.png

They have no definition at all.

I haven't noticed this kind of thing on any other screenshots thus far.

Also I'm not saying the game is ugly or criticizing it, this isn't about DOF either. I'm simply saying it looks like there's a filter on the images.

HQ images of Shenmue III, or other games? Many other games have their screenshots rendered out above 1080p then downsampled for a sharper, cleaner image.

Alternatively it could be an FXAA solution being used.

I know many games screenshots are rendered above 1080p and are then downsampled. This isn't about that and I can tell when that is the case.

I'm talking about these images specifically, compared to other images from the same game.

I mean, even the logo looks more smudgy when zoomed in compared to other Shenmue 3 screenshots.

Last edited:
I'm talking about these images specifically, compared to other images from the same game.

I mean, even the logo looks more smudgy when zoomed in compared to other Shenmue 3 screenshots.
Beats me then. I can see some aliasing when I zoom in, so it's not the actual image quality at least.

Beats me then. I can see some aliasing when I zoom in, so it's not the actual image quality at least.

I was never talking about the image quality or criticizing the geometry or internal resolution of the game. In fact, I wasn't even complaining about anything at all. As again, I was simply saying it looked like there was a filter applied to the images. Nothing more and nothing less.

Anyway, I thinks it's amazing how much detail you can see in the screenshots DESPITE the fact that it looks like its been run through a filter.

Wasnt it estimated that this game would take 20-30 hours to complete?

Ha. No way, not for me. I can see me pushing 100 hours on my first playthough. All those collectables, sets, herbs and whatnot will have me hooked. I know it wont be that way for everyone of course, but as someone who was addicted to doing everything in game like The Wither 3, God of War, Horizon etc.... this is way more than I could have asked for.

I always play Shenmue games nice and slow, exploring every last detail, taking my time to talk to everyone I can. And remember, in the first two games you get rewarded for that because certain scenes and events only happen on certain dates that you wouldn't reach if you beat the game too quickly. I hope Shenmue 3 is the same :)

Back