NEW INFO - Shenmue 3 Reboot Conference Summary

Ray Tracing is not yet ready for the mass market though. So your comment is still funny in a manner speaking. It is not eve nclear if the so called next gen hardware will support Ray Tracing at all. Maybe in S4 this might be a possibility but not in 3. I also do think they will re release it on the next gen. For a Next Gen Game Shenmue does not look good enough. But let's wait and see.

To be fair...if anybody can make ray tracing work/standardized sooner...It would be Yu Suzuki. This guy took top military grade tech and made it mass producible for the gaming industry. This is why his games are mostly famed for being ahead of their time.

Ex,) 1996 when N64/Ps1 was still the mainstream...Yu releases:

Shenmue 3 is most likely based on an earlier version of UE4, just before they implemented raytracing. I'm not sure what version UE4 was on at the time Shenmue 3 began production.... Maybe 4.18?

Shenmue 3 is most likely based on an earlier version of UE4, just before they implemented raytracing. I'm not sure what version UE4 was on at the time Shenmue 3 began production.... Maybe 4.18?
Would have been 4.9 or earlier, but you can update the engine while still working on your game/project, which they undoubtedly have done throughout production.

FHD resolution screenshots can now be extracted from shenmue.link. I've updated my analysis post on Phantom River Stone with them.

The arcade interior can be seen even better now (I've applied upscaling as well for good measure). Looks like the game's name will is "Highway Star". (@Zoyous called it earlier with the word HIGHWAY).

Last edited:
Sooooo, now the full HD versions are available I've done my usual thing and delved into the metadata.

All of the screens, including even the forklift one, are apparently from... the 4th of June 2018.

I'm not totally certain this is accurate, but at the same time the metadata hasn't been incorrect before. Puzzling, really, really puzzling.

EDIT: I'm more willing to believe the "2019" watermark for these screens than the metadata at this point, but who knows, really?

Last edited:
Sooooo, now the full HD versions are available I've done my usual thing and delved into the metadata.

All of the screens, including even the forklift one, are apparently from... the 4th of June 2018.

I'm not totally certain this is accurate, but at the same time the metadata hasn't been incorrect before. Puzzling, really, really puzzling.

EDIT: I'm more willing to believe the "2019" watermark for these screens than the metadata at this point, but who knows, really?

Could the screenshots have been taken long ago then watermarked ? Would the metadata be changed if so ?

In the reboot event Suzuki showed several old pictures we've already seen with the "new ones" so It wouldn't surprise me these new screens are from 2018.

Could the screenshots have been taken long ago then watermarked ? Would the metadata be changed if so ?
I don't really know.

If they're watermarking in Photoshop the metadata would probably update to when that version was generated, which would make it even more confusing as to why screens from 2018 would be labelled "2019" almost a full year before they would be released.

The more likely story is the metadata is just screwed up somehow on these, even if it's been accurate previously.

In the reboot event Suzuki showed several old pictures we've already seen with the "new ones" so It wouldn't surprise me these new screens are from 2018.
I dunno.

I'm skeptical about why shots from 2018 would be watermarked "2019" and sat on for nearly a full year, only to be used in a panel with Yu Suzuki where they conveniently explain the content he wants to talk about.

I think it might be more likely the metadata is somehow wrong in this case.

I dunno.

I'm skeptical about why shots from 2018 would be watermarked "2019" and sat on for nearly a full year, only to be used in a panel with Yu Suzuki where they conveniently explain the content he wants to talk about.

I think it might be more likely the metadata is somehow wrong in this case.
Yu could just be up to his old Am2 tricks again.:p Fooling us and keeping the real build close till launch.

Certainly interetsing and just say Metadata was correct it would fit with the previous strategy from Shenmue 1 and 2 where, from what I remember, we saw very little of the finished game until very close to release. Could the same trick be applied here? If so then we could have something that blows all expectations out of the water!

If, in the more likely scenario, Metadata is inaccurate then for me the game still looks bloody good. Also there's 3 months of polishing left until the game goes gold. Add onto this the fact that thety could continue working on the game and patch it on day 1 and that's another months work. Whether Yu would do this is another question and given his perfectionist nature I'd be shocked if he did.

It is very intersting to listen to discusion about the age of the pics. I do not care though to be honest. My Standards are pretty modest and the game looks great to me in it's current Status (that might be the 2018 Status). if the game even looks better in August I do not complain but I would be more than happy if it can mantain the current graphical Status.

@[U]高野和泉[/U] Yes Yu-san is brilliant, no doubt about it. He is my favourite japanese developer right now. There are other good developers too, but unlike other stars in the japanese Gaming World, like Kojima or Mikami, Suzuki seems the only developer to pull off a real Sequel.

The other devs I mentioned are horrible with sequals. The Change the game with every new entry, just to scrap the ideas in the next entry. Suzuki on other thand seems to maintain the Shenmue-ness of Part 3 even after 20 years. The Sequel still looks and feels like Shenmue.

On the other end of the spectrum you have Shinji Mikami and Resident Evil 4. A game that does not feel and look like the old games at all.

@[U]高野和泉[/U] Yes Yu-san is brilliant, no doubt about it. He is my favourite japanese developer right now. There are other good developers too, but unlike other stars in the japanese Gaming World, like Kojima or Mikami, Suzuki seems the only developer to pull off a real Sequel.

The other devs I mentioned are horrible with sequals. The Change the game with every new entry, just to scrap the ideas in the next entry. Suzuki on other thand seems to maintain the Shenmue-ness of Part 3 even after 20 years. The Sequel still looks and feels like Shenmue.

Suzuki initially planned to change radically the Shenmue formula though. But then, he was advised not to do so and he eventually decided to keep rather a 50-50 new/old ratio to please fans.

Interesting to note - the arcade screenshot is named "Chobu Arcade". Guess it isn't Bailu after all.

Cc: @Rikitatsu
fTBH8ru.gif

Good to know. Then we were lucky.:giggle: A radically changed Shenmue would not have been good. It would just look like a copy of other modern day games. Shenmue should stay unique to have a place in todays gaming world.

I have not a good track record with radically changed series. I always stopped becoming a fan after series was changed. Resident evil for example died for with 4, and MGS with MGS 5. Ok in the case of Resident Evil Capcom could win me back with the fabulous Re 7 and 2 Remake but still I am not a fan of radical changes.

Back