New Member Introductions

Oh yeah, true, they definitely didn't support it for long compared to the other two--2004, maybe? Still longest life besides Japan!

I'm Joe, used to go by Joey Bassist Dude and then GreenHillZone87. It's really great to see this Shenmue community is still strong. Clicking those Bysby and Yama theme's really sent me back in time 😭 . Was pleased to see the newest one is called Peter and happy to see so many more familiar names as I browse the forums.

Last edited:
Hello everyone, years-long time lurker but never registered before, I guess it's time :)

I played the original Shenmue when it came out on Dreamcast back in 2000 in Europe, I visited Yokosuka 10 years ago in 2009 (time flies) and now I'm finally enjoying Shenmue III after participating in the Kickstarter fundraising.

In short, I'm just a huge Shenmue fan like all of you.

Pretty new here, sort of newish to the series; old enough to have probably played the original games when they first came out but for some reason never even heard of them until after learning about Yakuza some years ago late into that series. I guess I just wasn’t much of a Sega fan outside Sonic, and even then that was after Adventure 2 got ported to the GameCube.

These days I’ve pretty much given up on Sonic(though I want to see the train wreck with Jim Carey), but on the flipside I feel like I’ll keep playing Shenmue so long as new entries get made. Initially I was able to watch 2 being played by SuperGreatFriend and was a bit critical, unable to see what was so good about the bad voice acting and over reliance on QTEs, but I gave it some time, and eventually got the rerelease and got every trophy for the first game and could understand the appeal, even despite the flaws. It reminded me more of games like Deadly Premonition which I also love and hope that upcoming sequel is done just as well as Shenmue 3.

For other stuff about me, well, grew up with Nintendo(mostly Zelda), No More Heroes was my first Grasshopper game and I have played a ton of their stuff since, also really like Drakengard/Nier. Lots of others but those are the main few.

Really like to draw but consider myself an amateur. Hoping to get a new tablet to replace my cheap one and continue to get better to at least get something published or find some way to make money from my hobby.

Games have inspired my art, but so have some shows and movies and stories in general. First anime I can recall was Sailor Moon, kind of disappointed I can’t find the origin dub. Grew up with a few different things like DBZ(though I prefer Dragon Ball), Inuyasha, favorite I think was Paranoia Agent, though I’ve watched both the original run of Berserk as well as most of Jojo in the past year. Also saw most of Satoshi Kon’s films now.

Initially I was able to watch 2 being played by SuperGreatFriend and was a bit critical, unable to see what was so good about the bad voice acting and over reliance on QTEs, but I gave it some time, and eventually got the rerelease and got every trophy for the first game and could understand the appeal, even despite the flaws. It reminded me more of games like Deadly Premonition which I also love and hope that upcoming sequel is done just as well as Shenmue 3.

About the bad voice acting, it's only the Eng dub. A lot of old fans enjoyed its awkwardness mainly because of nostalgia so it's back to please these fans in 3, but the Japanese and those who undestand the original intended language never regarded the dialogue or acting of the series as bad at all. Anyway, I'm glad to see a genuine new fan here. There are seriously not that many games as immersive as the Shenmue series, and I'm not talking only from my own nostalgic feeling towards these games.

Welcome, and hope you stick around.

Thanks! To be honest, I’ve kind of turned around on the voices - I still think many are unintentionally funny, but they’ve grown on me, and I actually think many in 3 are fine for what the dialogue consists of. But maybe one day I’ll see how the Japanese voices are.

(though I want to see the train wreck with Jim Carey),

Its not going to be an Oscar winner or anything, but the films is going to be awesome, I don't what you're thinking lol.

And it'll DEFINITELY be better than Detective Pikachu.

Hello, I'm Kane and I'm new here. Literally just ran into this website after Googling Shenmue and registered. For Christmas this year, my spouse bought me the Shenmue 1&2 PS4 remakes and Shenmue 3! I'm excited to play them. When I was a kid, I had a Dreamcast, and a copy of Shenmue 1. I played it, but that was several years ago. So, starting tonight I'll be playing through them from the very beginning and I'm excited! I'm 37 years old, married, 3 kids. I live in Kansas and am a Pastor and School Bus driver. Anyway, I'm glad to be here!

I used to post during the late gamespy days (2001-ish) and old dojo forums up until around 2012 (but posted much less frequently up until then). I came back briefly for the kickstarter announcement, and now I came back for Shenmue 3 a few weeks ago. And yeah, a good chunk of my posts were from me in my teen years and early 20s, so I'm sorry about that, haha.

I can't say I was a prominent member but I'm getting a nice feeling of nostalgia seeing a lot of posters I remember in this thread! Though it looks like a good amount of those folks stopped posting, but hey, a new era of Shenmue is here and I hope they all find their way back here at some point.

Hello,
Was in 2006 dojo.

I don't speak or write english very well so please forgive my words ;)
...But I understand some things when reading.
I hope you got open mind like I try too, and have a good time here despite my grammar ;)

I remember some people I liked back then...
So if an old dojo member see this= Are members like Clint, landc, miles power; kiyuu; VGAce; Ziming still there?

When I think about it, S3 wouldn't be there if the dojo wouldn't too.
when kickstarter and S3 releases, I thought about the dojo who supported this game for decades...
So thanks again for your presence and love for shenmue all these years.

More than a game... An experience.

Back