New Yu Suzuki Game: Vrsus

Yeah I can understand why some people had such a reaction when they saw the first post. I feel he can do another project as long as it does not burn him out or compromise his current work.

Companies usually should have one of two projects in active development at the time if they want to survive.
Basically a lot of time is spent on preproduction (if they want to have a smooth development), while a lot of the staff is standing iddle, basically wasting studio resources doing nothing and slowly bleeding money.
This doesn't seem like an YSnet project though.

suzuki.png

I would argue this may be a needed distraction for Yu to keep his mind fresh and the wheels spinning. Yu could get burnt out if he solely worked on Shenmue 3 and that could be a huge problem, plus he is taking a smaller and perfectly acceptable role on this project so its fine.

I think that's very true. It's not like he completely devoted himself to Shenmue from 1994 on. He had his hands full with other projects as well. The guy needs the work!

This thread is getting weird.

Innit. Since Shenmue I've always had a passing interest in Suzuki's games, however - I get that this is probably daft on my part considering it's a Shenmue forum - I don't get why every single time it has to instantly devolve into "OMG bit wut bout Shenmue 3?"

It's coming out people, calm the fuck down.

This was mentioned on last weeks GCCX tv show, Arino was at the JPPVR booth and spoke to Suzuki,
He asks, 'How's Shenmue going?'
Suzuki laughs and replies, 'I'm working on it'

It's easy to misinterpret the situation as it's not clearly explained what Yu Suzuki's role in relation to the game is, and might just be bad timing overall, but at least he mentions Shenmue...

CX #266 改造せよ!「チョロQ」.mp4_snapshot_14.33_[2018.10.19_14.36.43]...jpg

Wasn't he working in tandem on Shenmue 2 and Virtua Fighter 4 (Arcade) as Director? And he frequently worked as Producer alongside his big game directing projects like Shenmue 1 (which came out in the same year as another game he directed - Ferrari F355 Challenge). So I'm not sure why people are giving him a hard time for this? He's shown to be more than capable of handling many projects at the same time in the past, so why not let him now?

I would argue this may be a needed distraction for Yu to keep his mind fresh and the wheels spinning. Yu could get burnt out if he solely worked on Shenmue 3 and that could be a huge problem, plus he is taking a smaller and perfectly acceptable role on this project so its fine.

Well said, I completely agree I think it'll help him maintain peak/consistent creative momentum and avoid burnout, not to mention his role is very different here to that of Shenmue 3 and he already has a lot of expertise in that area so it makes sense as long as he's up for it. Maybe it'll help with finances (not for the game necessarily but just for himself in the meantime).

I'm really curious to try this out if it somehow manages to make it's way to the UK, I've only played two of Suzuki's games on arcade hardware (afterburner and outrun) sounds really interesting.

Wasn't he working in tandem on Shenmue 2 and Virtua Fighter 4 (Arcade) as Director? And he frequently worked as Producer alongside his big game directing projects like Shenmue 1 (which came out in the same year as another game he directed - Ferrari F355 Challenge). So I'm not sure why people are giving him a hard time for this? He's shown to be more than capable of handling many projects at the same time in the past, so why not let him now?

Yu was one of the biggest game designers in the world during the late 90s and the early 2000s. He was in a top management position of a four-thousand employees corporation and basically had a blank cheque to a billionaire's bank account (Isao Okawa).

Now, Yu is a self-employed guy with a small project company of a couple dozen people, who hasn't finished a non-mobile game in almost 10 years. Sega Race TV being the last one I can think of (and yes, the game has the word "Sega" in its name, I think it was during his time at Digital Rex, while Yu was still at Sega). Also, if you look at his track record of the last 10 years, a bunch of his projects got cancelled, like Psi-Phi and Shenmue Online. Both are not his fault in my opinion but still, they're on his resume.

Also by now, YS Net probably depend on Deep Silver's money to even be able to finish S3. And they're under extreme pressure time-wise. The PS5 will probably come out at some point in 2020 and Sony building up the hype for it in the months prior to its release could leave the PS4 dead in the water. If they miss the PS4's life cycle, they might as well redirect the entire project to the PS5 but I don't see that happening. Who's gonna foot the bill for that? Missing the PS4 would in all likelyhood get S3 cancelled alltogether (at least the console version of it). They have to get this game out of the gate in 2019, early 2020 at the very latest, if Deep Silver is willing to fund yet another delay, that is. This time, there's not gonna be any pushing it back further.

So given all the factors I mentioned, with Yu's situation being nothing like 15 or 20 years ago, I think it's only natural for people to be a bit wary of Yu starting another project on the side. We're 10 months away from the deadline given to Yu by Deep Silver's CEO.

Yu was one of the biggest game designers in the world during the late 90s and the early 2000s. He was in a top management position of a four-thousand employees corporation and basically had a blank cheque to a billionaire's bank account (Isao Okawa).

Now, Yu is a self-employed guy with a small project company of a couple dozen people, who hasn't finished a non-mobile game in almost 10 years. Sega Race TV being the last one I can think of (and yes, the game has the word "Sega" in its name, I think it was during his time at Digital Rex, while Yu was still at Sega). Also, if you look at his track record of the last 10 years, a bunch of his projects got cancelled, like Psi-Phi and Shenmue Online. Both are not his fault in my opinion but still, they're on his resume.

Also by now, YS Net probably depend on Deep Silver's money to even be able to finish S3. And they're under extreme pressure time-wise. The PS5 will probably come out at some point in 2020 and Sony building up the hype for it in the months prior to its release could leave the PS4 dead in the water. If they miss the PS4's life cycle, they might as well redirect the entire project to the PS5 but I don't see that happening. Who's gonna foot the bill for that? Missing the PS4 would in all likelyhood get S3 cancelled alltogether (at least the console version of it). They have to get this game out of the gate in 2019, early 2020 at the very latest, if Deep Silver is willing to fund yet another delay, that is. This time, there's not gonna be any pushing it back further.

So given all the factors I mentioned, with Yu's situation being nothing like 15 or 20 years ago, I think it's only natural for people to be a bit wary of Yu starting another project on the side. We're 10 months away from the deadline given to Yu by Deep Silver's CEO.

I have to agree with you a bit it is about 10 months away. But as others have said Yu had worked on multiple projects before and some even released the same year and he is not even in a big position on this other project. So there should be no problem with it. Unless Deep Silver see's there is an issue and has to delay it again. What Deep Silver should have said was that the deadline was in September 2019 I feel uncomfortable about August guys. That is just how I feel and such but as was said that is plenty of time to get things working and voice overs started. They had a trailer and have been working since 2015 on this project. So in total four years have went into making Shenmue III and I have a gut feeling that it will release on time and if he does not so be it I rather it be delayed to later 2018 than 2019.

I have to agree with you a bit it is about 10 months away. But as others have said Yu had worked on multiple projects before

Yes, a lot of people keep bringing up those comparisons to 15 or 20 years ago. But are we really gonna compare Yu's situation back then to now? I mean, yes, technically he has done things like this before, working on different projects at the same time but with an effectively unlimited budget and a corporation of a couple thousand employees to back him up that was quite a different story from now, Yu being with a little indie studio and depending on a third party's (Deep Silver's) money.

An architect's job is to create blueprints. A builder's job is to turn those blueprints into buildings.

While there will be discussion between the architect and the builder when the foundations and core structure of the house is being put into place, there won't be much discussion after they've finished installing the electrics.

Why would you complain about the architect designing another house just because the last one is still being painted? The architect is not the one painting the house, and has no more work to do.

Yu Suzuki was active as a major executive at Sega only shortly before forming YS Net. It has not been 15-20 years he had major responsibilities only 7 or so years ago. Where did this idea that mobile games don't count as real work come form? Any experience is experience. Even today he manages a team of around 20 and deals with large publishers, its more work than you think. It's silly to think Yu Suzuki can't handles two projects especially if one is only management.

Yu Suzuki was active as a major executive at Sega only shortly before forming YS Net. It has not been 15-20 years he had major responsibilities only 7 or so years ago.

No. YS Net was funded in 2008. This is Yu's bio from YS Net's website. See 2008.
YU SUZUKI
鈴木 裕

1958 出生
1983 岡山理科大学理学部電子理学科 卒業
1983 株式会社セガ・エンタープライゼス 入社
1998 「1998コンピューターワールド・スミソニアン・アワード」(アメリカ・スミソニアン協会)
日本ゲーム業界初の「情報・技術イノベーション 常設研究コレクション」に認定
1998イノベーションコレクション」として関係映像と資料が永久保存
(ワシントンDCにあるスミソニアン総合博物館の国立アメリカ歴史的博物館)
2003 AIAS主催サミットにて「Hall of Fame」(栄誉賞) 受賞
2008 株式会社 YsNet 設立
2011 GDCアワード パイオニア賞 受賞

http://www.ysnet-inc.jp/

Where did this idea that mobile games don't count as real work come form?

From Yu. Well, he didn't say making mobile games isn't work he says but what he did say in an interview once was that he had a hard time assembling a competent team for S3 in the beginning because most younger developers now are used to making mobie games in Japan, not larger-scale games and mostly their experience is with engines like Unity and stuff, not Unreal 4. I'll post the interview here if I find it.

It's silly to think Yu Suzuki can't handles two projects especially if one is only management.

I sure hope it is. We'll find out about that in August or earlier.

Anything ever come of this? It's been nearly 2 years since it was announced. Checked out the one developer's page and I see they have released a couple things since:

Hard for me to make much sense of any of it, though. Wouldn't be surprised if it was quietly killed, but I am trying to find out what Yu Suzuki is up to right now so it was on my list of things to check out...

[Edit]

Unfortunately, I think it's probably dead. The actual 'developer' hasn't updated their page in a year:

Honestly, looking through this stuff the developer looks kind of shady.

Last edited:
Seems like the whole business model was built on popularizing a new token, like Bitcoin, and using these tokens to bet on VR games. Just seems like the typical fly-by-night- business idea that was everywhere a couple years back. "Oh, Bitcoin is big, so let's get in on this like everyone else."

- Linked from their FB page, which has been inactive for 2 years now.... https://www.facebook.com/vres11/. Looks quite odd to me.

Also, their website triggers a warning on both Safari and Chrome when I try to load it. That's really what raised my hairs a little bit...

In any case, I doubt we'll ever see this game. Can't find a trace of it since it was announced at TGS. Like you said, just a prototype; the game itself doesn't seem shady.

Last edited:
Back