Favourite title
Shenmue II
Currently playing
Unicorn Overlord
PSN
KiddMarine1
Steam
KiddMarine

Yu and one of the key animators of the project (I think).

*lights the @Switch signal*
I haven't used this in a while.......

@Switch Summoning Jutsu

latest

Alright so he gets around to answering the question right after this, but my retard brain still found it funny.
Yeah, that's a businessman for you. I guess that's sort of what you want from a producer. Interesting that he's also a "Yu."

Lot of interesting tidbits in there. Sounds like some people internally at Sega were already looking at this possibility three years ago.

Also interesting that they really haven't nailed down to what point in the story this first run will go to, and that all 13 episodes being just Yokosuka isn't out of the realm of possibility. I guess some of the artists really like the characters from SII, though (not surprising).

Also didn't know this studio traces back to Castle of Cagliostro. I've always really liked that movie. Damn you and your salesmanship, other-Yu!

Edit: I really like hearing about how deep into recreating 1980s Yokosuka, and the feel of Ryo's jacket the anime production staff is. Also seems they're going for the original games' VA where possible.

Last edited:
Can't wait for a real translation. Interesting they used Shenmue The Movie a lot to show to the staff.

Some tidbits I thought were interesting:
  • Says the budget is higher than a typical anime TV series. Putting a lot of effort into crowds, NPCs, streets, etc.
  • In terms of where they are in the production at this point, Yuu Suzuki has just looked over the first and second parts. The voices have not been incorporated yet.
  • Finally, Yuu Suzuki was asked about the development status of Shenmue IV. Suzuki eagerly responded, “I guess it’s a situation where I’m ready to go whenever I have the chance to do it.”

Seems this may be further along than I thought :oops:

Kiyozono says the anime has been in the works for 2 to 3 years, during the development of Shenmue III.
Tthe budget is higher than a typical anime TV series.

Oh damn! I beginning to think that this is going to be even more of a big deal for Shenmue than perviously thought.

Some tidbits I thought were interesting:
  • Says the budget is higher than a typical anime TV series. Putting a lot of effort into crowds, NPCs, streets, etc.
  • In terms of where they are in the production at this point, Yuu Suzuki has just looked over the first and second parts. The voices have not been incorporated yet.
  • Finally, Yuu Suzuki was asked about the development status of Shenmue IV. Suzuki eagerly responded, “I guess it’s a situation where I’m ready to go whenever I have the chance to do it.”

Seems this may be further along than I thought :oops:
Is that an accurate human translation or a machine translation? That shenmue 4 part is very interesting

Edit: Just seen the link you posted

Last edited:
I'd be interested if it applies to the English cast or not. I assumed it was the JP cast only?

The Shenmue 4 comment is very interesting but then we've had so much Shenmue related stuff kicking along recently the name is certainly getting hotter.

From this interview, they make it sound like they might not be able to include much of 2? That would be a real shame, as 2's story would be amazing anime-ised. Shenmue 1, much as I love it, is much better served as an introduction chapter, but I expect an anime to be faster paced (which I think they can do whilst retaining the true Shenmue feel) and to feature a lot of the awesome characters, story beats and set pieces from Shenmue 2.

Last edited:
It's got to be a machine translation. Notice how they keep calling YS "Yuu."

Honestly, even if Shenmue 4 was being worked on right now, Suzuki would continue to say the same stock answer until announcement.

"if i have the chance, i would like to make it" etc

We'll just have to wait this one out by the looks of it. All good though. Plenty to look forward to in the mean time

It's great to hear a little more about the project, and that also it's been in development for a while and will seemingly have a pretty decent budget too! As they seem to want to work on the Shenmue II story as well, I wonder how far they would actually get into it, or whether that would have to be saved for a theoretical second season. Any chance of that is likely linked to how well the first season 1 does in terms of DVD/blu-ray/merch sales.

Probably the final episode will be Chai on the boat or Ryo arriving at the Come Over Guest House. If it does well, the second season could cover all of Shenmue 2

Back