New Yu Suzuki interview (Japanese)

Thank you so much for this! It's such a positive interview. Nice little Shenmue IV question at the end too ;)

Awesome work Switch! Loved both parts!

I'm so damn excited for the anime, and it's amazing to read some behind the scenes stuff like this! Thank you!

The last section regarding the crossover in skills between games and anime is very interesting to be honest.

When Yu gets the go-ahead to make Shenmue IV, it would really help to have a team like this on board in some capacity. It seems like they have the skills and expertise to assist Yu with creating a narrative/story from the original script, that would transfer well to a game, with good pacing and payoffs etc. This is something that probably comes naturally to them now, after working on anime (in an episodic format for so long), where you need to keep the viewer's interest peaked to ensure they come back episode after episode.

It makes even more sense as they will have worked together on this anime, they are also apart (kinda) of the same parent company, and also as it was the one main aspect in where Shenmue III (arguably) fell short. From Sega's point of view, if they pony up and allow Yu to make Shenmue IV, I'd hope they'd ask Kiyozono and his team to be involved/oversee in someway to ensure that the narrative is up to par lol.

Last edited:
The full interview translation is now complete! The second part is slightly shorter, but has more comments by Yu Suzuki.

Here are links to both parts.

Part 1: https://www.phantomriverstone.com/2020/10/part-12-shenmue-animation-famitsu.html

New! --> Part 2: https://www.phantomriverstone.com/2020/10/part-22-shenmue-animation-famitsu.html

View attachment 9537
Thanks a million switch. You are a treasure to the community.

The guy doing the anime sounds like a great dude. I have no doubt the series is in good hands

Its also very good to know some of the higher ups in sega are people who use to work with suzuki and respect him tremendously. Makes Shenmue 4 more likely in my opinion

Last edited:
I'm glad everyone found it worthwhile to see a full translation!

I liked seeing this part, meaning we should get to see even more details that were in the original story - part of the boat chapter at the least sounds like a good possibility:
And there is quite a large part of them that hasn't made it into the games. From time to time I share ideas based on them, or suggest certain parts that weren't depicted in the game that might be interesting to include, and so on.

Last edited:
Switch, thank you so much for this translation. 😊 This interview was really good, i think Shenmue Anime is in good hands. I think we will see in the anime some things that are only in the scripts, in my opinion the boat chapter will be in the anime.

We will get the soundtrack of Shenmue III, Shenmue Anime and maybe one day we will get Shenmue IV, i have hope that we will get Shenmue IV, Shenmue is alive, I'm happy with that.

Thanks for the translation switch. It really sounds promising. I have to admit that I had my doubts about the anime at first but now I really think it has potential. The producer seems to understand Shenmue and even Yu-San is on board. I am going to support the anime for sure when it is out, which means I have to get Crunchy Roll account as soon as the anime gets on air.

It has been ages since I was into Anime so I never used a anime subscription service.

Back