New Yu Suzuki interviews from G-Fusion Tour in China

It goes to show imo how committed Yu is to the series. Sure the development budget has increased but I'm pretty sure the team have been working away well over hours to ensure this game is the Shenmue 3 we all want. As stated by many others the success of the series depends on it.

Combat sounds like it could be great. The idea of playing on after the main story is done to mop up is quite common in games these days.

What really intrigued me was the fact this is going to be a multi-week game. The original Kickstarter implied that the game would be similar in size to Shenmue 1, so I presume with the extra backing this has expanded out and is now much larger.

Can't wait for what we have in store. The game must be very advanced and likely they've been showing us older footage in updates etc.

Well, that was in reference to the size of he world, not necessarily the length of the game, although I think 'somewhere between the size of Shenmue 1 and Shenmue 2' has been cited more commonly since - but whether that's quotes from Yu or just fan speculation, I cannot remember.

It's definitely very exciting and intriguing news in any case. It sounds like Suzuki is managing to build the kind of Shenmue 3 he and all of us will be proud of.

Well, I like to lean on what @Spaghetti said in his post some time back in regards to preparation of trailer cuts for a trade show.

Taking that into account, I'm gonna say the footage we were shown at Gamescom was probably...a month old? Maybe two or three? It definitely seemed to mix between old and newer on a rewatch.

So we will be looking at 7 to 10 months of additional development time before the game could be shown again. As Yu has talked about the graphics, I expect it to be considerably more advanced in the character models.

Outside of lack of gameplay, that has been the primary point of contention from the populace and I'm sure he's been working on that. You can see it in the picture of Ryo in the arcade.

"Yu says Shenmue III is more of a hardcore game than the originals ... Shenmue III may take longer to complete than the originals (Yu says I & II are single week games, III is a multi-week game)."

Wait, what?!

So Shenmue 1 & 2, as wonderful and chock-full of content as those games are, are in fact a mere entrée to this series and Shenmue 3 is the main course meal?

Imagine, Shenmue 3 is a spaghetti carbonara while Shenmue 1 & 2 are just a couple of olives.

I think I need to lie down...

Taking that into account, I'm gonna say the footage we were shown at Gamescom was probably...a month old? Maybe two or three? It definitely seemed to mix between old and newer on a rewatch.

Lol try almost a year. We seen a good lot of it back during the Kickstarter dinner almost a year before, albeit with a little less polish.

It's been that way since the beginning. They are not finishing off a character model one week, then posting it the next. It's all calculated, and it's all for the better in my opinion. Keep this game locked away, until I play the thing. I've seen more than I want to already. Lots of people cry for updates and more stuff to appear, but the second you see that, it's no longer a surprise, and the hype gets lost over the next 8 months.

Thanks a lot for sharing the interview.

I am quite curious about the new combat System already. It seems very sophisticated and could work great and enhance the combat gamplay a lot.

I enjoyed the old fighting System too though which is quite funny. I was never a big fan of the Virtua Fighter Series.Concerning Fighting games I am m ore the Dead or Alive Fanboy. Soul Edge/Soul Calibur is nice as well. But Virtua Fighter was never my Thing though. So really strange that the I really enjoyed the VF fighting System in S1 and 2.

I've been dying to see this get posted on another forum I won't name. Unfortunately, someone decided to post the '100 GB File Size' thread instead for some inexplicable reason, which set off another round of Hate on Shenmue III. I'm sure some of this will be met with derision anyway because it's cool to hate on Shenmue and it's easy to laugh at QTEs/sailors/say Shenmue always sucked. Hopefully more substantive news like Spaghetti's starts coming out so we can stop dealing with Clickbait Trolls for another year. I actually enjoy talking about Shenmue so it's fun to do it in a positive way rather than a defensive way.

"Yu says Shenmue III is more of a hardcore game than the originals ... Shenmue III may take longer to complete than the originals (Yu says I & II are single week games, III is a multi-week game)."

Wait, what?!

So Shenmue 1 & 2, as wonderful and chock-full of content as those games are, are in fact a mere entrée to this series and Shenmue 3 is the main course meal?

Imagine, Shenmue 3 is a spaghetti carbonara while Shenmue 1 & 2 are just a couple of olives.

I think I need to lie down...

lol indeed, as there are a couple of things amiss here lol:

1. Entrée IS the main course.
2. Spaghetti is a, "primo piatto," or first plate, which you also have before the main course lol
3. Olives would be an hors d'oeuvres.

Going by food dishes in the Italian method of courses (as it generally draws it out the most!):

'mue & 'mue II would be the hors d'oeuvres and antipasto, respectively (both are basically the same, but there is a distinction, with the antipasto being more in quantity and diversity)
'mue III is a primo piatto

Which could mean that 'mue IV would be a secondo piatto (or entrée) and then a 5th game would be a delectable dessert.

Make sense? lol

Lol try almost a year. We seen a good lot of it back during the Kickstarter dinner almost a year before, albeit with a little less polish.

It's been that way since the beginning. They are not finishing off a character model one week, then posting it the next. It's all calculated, and it's all for the better in my opinion. Keep this game locked away, until I play the thing. I've seen more than I want to already. Lots of people cry for updates and more stuff to appear, but the second you see that, it's no longer a surprise, and the hype gets lost over the next 8 months.

Indeed; I'd like to see a bit more myself, but I don't want to be spoiled further.

I want to approach the game like I did the first title; 2006, I've had my Dreamcast for a year and I know NOTHING about the game or the series, etc.

Too late to go in that blind at this point, but would like to know as little as possible, going forward.

Last edited:
I don't think I have ever read such an interesting and exciting interview.

The fact he said that Shenmue 3 will take longer to complete then the originals was very nice and surprising to hear.
Games can always take longer to complete though, just depends on how you play them. I didn't complete Shenmue 2 in a week lol. I just seriously can't believe he said Shenmue 3 will take longer to complete then 1 and 2 ! I thought the game would be around the size of Shenmue I.

Very interested in seeing what the new battle system will be like, sounds it will be more immersive and in depth then 1 and 2's.
'Side quests and the main story will have better integration, and form a better closed loop.' Very happy and excited to hear that, Shenmue 1 and 2 did that in a way but Shenmue 3 sounds like it has more interesting and story related side quests. This will make the adventure much bigger. I guess we can't say how good the side quests will be until we play it for ourselves though.

Post game content was the most surprising for me, I never considered Shenmue 1 and 2 to have post content as it wasn't anything majorly new (70 man battle, street fights etc) but the fact he said 'storylines' will be in the post game content. Are you kidding me?

Anyway don't wanna get too hyped before I play the actual game but I am SO damn excited for this game. Can't even tell you how much.
I take it we won't see gameplay until Magic Monaco in Feb?

Last edited:
lol indeed, as there are a couple of things amiss here lol:

1. Entrée IS the main course.
2. Spaghetti is a, "primo piatto," or first plate, which you also have before the main course lol
3. Olives would be an hors d'oeuvres.

Going by food dishes in the Italian method of courses (as it generally draws it out the most!):

'mue & 'mue II would be the hors d'oeuvres and antipasto, respectively (both are basically the same, but there is a distinction, with the antipasto being more in quantity and diversity)
'mue III is a primo piatto

Which could mean that 'mue IV would be a secondo piatto (or entrée) and then a 5th game would be a delectable dessert.

Make sense? lol

Jesus...my knowledge of cuisine is fucked!

That's it, I will never use another food analogy again. :censored:

Suzuki Yu: [...] after the main line is cleared, other systems can still play. The main storyline in the open world is not the only one, there are many places to explore.

It seems that he's talking about sidequests and not postgame content. But who knows.
Yeah, I said that earlier in the thread after a little more thought about it, but now I've decided to change the wording of that part to avoid any more confusion. There still may be post-game content if the plan is that players are still able to do things after the main story has ended without opening a new save, but I'll err on the side of caution for now.

Outside of lack of gameplay, that has been the primary point of contention from the populace and I'm sure he's been working on that. You can see it in the picture of Ryo in the arcade.
Funnily enough, the arcade gameplay shot that surfaced on Steam still has metadata attached to it. It was generated roughly around mid-July, so already approximately half a year old by now!

I expect by the end of production the rest of the game will either match that screen, or the whole image of the game will have been improved overall.

Shenmue 2's post game features on disc 4 were plenty for me, so I don't expect or even hope for much more. Love booting up to do some street fights or arcade if I don't have a spare save in the Golden Qr.

I've been dying to see this get posted on another forum I won't name. Unfortunately, someone decided to post the '100 GB File Size' thread instead for some inexplicable reason, which set off another round of Hate on Shenmue III. I'm sure some of this will be met with derision anyway because it's cool to hate on Shenmue and it's easy to laugh at QTEs/sailors/say Shenmue always sucked. Hopefully more substantive news like Spaghetti's starts coming out so we can stop dealing with Clickbait Trolls for another year. I actually enjoy talking about Shenmue so it's fun to do it in a positive way rather than a defensive way.

I think I know which forum you mean! And it was just posted tonight:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/new-interview-with-yu-suzuki-chinese-translation.91276/

Feedback is limited so far but mostly universally positive. It's an exciting, hype-generating interview so the response this time is way more positive and contrary to the usual roundabout of undeserved criticism when the game isn't even out yet. Sometimes the derision mystifies me as everything is looking very promising so far.

That said if we see gameplay at MAGIC that'll silence the naysayers - as the one gameplay glimpse we have seen looks fantastic.

I don't understand what all the hate is for the game being 100 GB. I know that's a placeholder number, but in 2001 if you would've said I'd get a Shenmue sequel about 50x the file size of Shenmue II, I would've been ecstatic.

Hell, make Shenmue IV 200GB. I'll clear some space for it :)

I'd be shocked if it's 100gb. If it was then holy shit what a hugely immersive game we would be getting. The world could be 1/4 of Red Dead and feel way more alive!

Can't wait for more details.

100gb is just a placeholder for now. It's a nice rounded figure that can act as a ceiling the game size will likely not exceed.

There's no way Ys Net could have a lock on final game size when that information was given out, which was before English VO sessions had even begun and definitely before they started any appreciable compressing of data to prepare for manufacturing.

The fact that figure got reported as gospel the first time around, let alone the second, is madness.

Back