New Yu Suzuki interviews from G-Fusion Tour in China

I honestly prefer something more compact (i'm thinking about prague in deus ex mankind divided) but full of content.
I'm playing RDR2 and the ammount of sidequests is making me lose connection from the main story, and for a game like Shenmue I don't feel like having too many sidequests is a good thing (well, depending on how they're made I guess, in yakuza sidequests are the soul of the game, mostly because of the writing).
In shenmue there are not really "sidequests", there are some optional activities to kill time, and optional cutscenes you can trigger now and then.

It's funny this was a discussion had last night and the red dead world is huge and I find it meshes a bit and loses that sense of immersion. The new assassins creed is another where it's so big you lose track of what you're doing.

I prefer a game that's scaled back in terms of world size but is immersive and interactive, so you can lose yourself in the game. I'm confident Shenmue 3 will deliver on that :)

Oddly enough I'm playing Spider-Man atm and while it's not wholly interactive I find 're world size just about right.

Personally, I suffer from open world fatigue and I feel developers are constantly trying to create the biggest worlds they can, rather than trying to add layers of detail to existing worlds. That's what I want from Shenmue 3, a really detailed and immersive world, not a massive open 'playground' for the player, 90-95% of which serves no real purpose and is only there to add to the size of the world, so the publisher can boast about the size in marketing.

I was never a fan of open world games, since I played Shenmue for the first time about one year ago. These modern day games were lifeless. Big but empty worlds with no relations to the storyline. I was really impressed how advanced Shenmue was already. Especially when you compare it to modern day games I sincerely hope S3 will remain old school in that regard.

This thread has kinda hit the big time now. I've seen it cited on a lot of news sites, probably because a lot of outlets just get their news from ResetERA.

Unfortunately this also means inaccuracies in reporting... VG 24/7 ran with the headline that Shenmue III will be twice the length of the predecessors.

This thread has kinda hit the big time now. I've seen it cited on a lot of news sites, probably because a lot of outlets just get their news from ResetERA.

Unfortunately this also means inaccuracies in reporting... VG 24/7 ran with the headline that Shenmue III will be twice the length of the predecessors.

Oh wow, that's awesome for you dude. Congrats! Misreporting aside it's the best Shenmue 3 news in months so glad it's making waves. You helped increase the profile of the game, maybe even future sales, so this was awesome of you.

Well, we have all been chomping at the bit for tangible information for a while now of late.

This goes a long way towards clearing the fog here in the year of release(in theory)...we have more information on the combat, a sense of scope with the voice acting and how side quests intertwine, post-game content..it is nice.

I feel like this game has been being hidden for all the right reasons, rather than the wrong ones that accompany many unfortunate Kickstarter projects.

A few have expressed concerns over the fact that the interview has been machine translated, and just to be clear, that's the responsibility of said outlets to highlight that fact when they publish, which doesn't seem to be the case. It's been said many times in this thread (forum thread too, it's not a case where we pushed through on the main site or anything), that this has been machine translated, and that there could be errors in detail.

Oh wow, that's awesome for you dude. Congrats! Misreporting aside it's the best Shenmue 3 news in months so glad it's making waves. You helped increase the profile of the game, maybe even future sales, so this was awesome of you.
That's very flattering of you to say, but y'know, in the 24 hour news cycle this stuff is here today, gone tomorrow. If we weren't in a slow period for games news, I'm not sure it would have gotten picked up. Any lasting impression on the gaming consensus will be when Ys Net and Deep Silver start cranking up the heat closer to release.

This news has generally been positively received from what I can tell though, as opposed to the ridiculousness of that 100GB figure getting reported again. I'm just hoping potential mistranslations (and outright falsehoods like the VG 24/7 headline) don't come back to bite the game in the ass.

I really admire Yu Suzuki for his immense bravery. His decision to create a new combat system for Shenmue III didn’t go down too well with some fans but Yu Suzuki said something like if risks are not taken then progress is not made and the gaming industry becomes stagnant.

Despite there being pressure on him to deliver a great game, he is still prepared to effectively gamble with innovative ideas.

He’s not certain they will pay off, and he said as much, however, despite not having produced a major game in well over a decade he refuses to toe the line and reign in his innovative, trend-setting, trail-blazing side and is determined to break new ground with Shenmue III.

The hallmarks of the genius and bravery of Yu Suzuki are clearly evident in Shenmue I and Shenmue II; games which were truly ahead of their time. To know that Yu Suzuki is as bold as ever is incredibly inspiring and has certainly emboldened me to anticipate a game which I believe will once again capture the imagination of Shenmue fans and hopefully the wider gaming community.
I was one of the many worried about the new combat system, still pretty worried about it based on many disappointments from modern gaming but hoping Suzuki's old school work ethic still shines through in this. Based on the translation it sounds like the combat system has a super duper easy mode but also can be challenging if you are good at it. I'm still praying the combat is button combinations and inputs rather than button mashing a single button and a block/dodge button, that definitely doesn't sound like realistic Chinese Kung Fu.

You know, looking at that picture(which is quite old by now), I really don't see too much wrong with this game in terms of graphics.

The environments are phenomenal, Ryo looks quite good even in that early picture from 2017-2018.

I'm sure the facial things have been ironed out and a little less of the "shiny" has been implemented. I can't wait to see what they have to show us.

I think it is going to silence a lot of people very quickly.

Deep Silver owners Koch Media, tweeting a link to the VG247 article with the "double the length of prior games" headline:

Honestly, I would prefer a smaller world but rich in depth than a bigger world that feels empty.
I hope that the "much larger game" quote means larger in scope but also in depth....
Shenmue 1 didn't have to have the biggest of the maps. It is in fact quite small compared to todays standards but still is the best game ever made for me.

I think that means we may celebrate the birthday of everybody this time.

A few Yu Suzuki's statements/comments that might give us some indication about the nature of Shenmue III gameplay in relation to its open world structure.

- Shenmue III is a "multiple weeks" game (thank you @Spaghetti for the translation!).

- "I believe that the balance between the user cycle and the economy will be another new point of attraction for open worlds.
I want to deliver the leisurely-paced world of Shenmue to everyone soon." (http://www.phantomriverstone.com/2018/12/end-of-year-interview-with-yu-suzuki.html)

- "Fishing is one of the part-time jobs. So you can make money, starting from having none. There isn’t the ability to release the fish you’ve caught, at the moment. But you can sell the fish you’ve caught based on its weight for money within the game. Once you have some money, you can make more at an amusement spot. Then you can buy things like items and skill books – you can purchase skills, you see. So in that way, the effects carry through to various parts of the game." (http://shenmue500k.net/interview-with-yu-suzuki-magic-monaco-2018/#more-232)

- "New mini-games and activities such as pinball, fishing, punching ball, whack-a-mole, wood chopping, etc... will make their appearence in Shenmue 3. They’ll be more integrated and have more connection with other elements within the world." (Gamescom 2017)

- "There’s going to be a running economy within the Shenmue world" (Gamescom 2017)

Those various information make me think that Ryo may need to settle in Guilin's region.

Compared to the relative "going through" pace of Wan Chai, Kowloon and the cave's road, I can imagine that for the third installment, Ryo will need to litteraly live in Bailu village as a villager. Learn from them, help them with simple tasks, go with them to Choubu's market to sell and buy goods, etc...

Maybe one way to get to Lan Di and the Chi You Men will be to become important on an economic scale. After all, what does matter the most to the various mafias if not money and power?

I would love the idea that Ryo won't necessary stay in point A (Bailu) until a certain point in the story is reached before going to point B (Choubu) and finally travel to point C (Baisha) for the end game. I would love the story and the world of Shenmue III to allow you as Ryo, Shenhua or Ren, to go forth and back to and from those three locations. Not necessarily because of the storyline but also because requested by "mundane" activities.

Last edited:
You know, looking at that picture(which is quite old by now), I really don't see too much wrong with this game in terms of graphics.

The environments are phenomenal, Ryo looks quite good even in that early picture from 2017-2018.

I'm sure the facial things have been ironed out and a little less of the "shiny" has been implemented. I can't wait to see what they have to show us.

I think it is going to silence a lot of people very quickly.

You know when this picture of Ryo was shown awhile back I thought to myself "That's Ryo! An HD upscale of his Dreamcast model!" The fact that Suzuki has gone beyond that is exciting and makes me believe the final models of Ryo and Shenhua will be magnificent.

Attachments

• 94.jpg
    94.jpg
    820.3 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
You know when this picture of Ryo showed awhile back I thought to myself "That's Ryo! An HD upscale of his Dreamcast model!" The fact that Suzuki has gone beyond that is exciting and makes me believe the final models Ryo and Shenhua will be magnificent.
Totally! I've posted this pic a few times but it really does show just how close it is:

uzlpai1ykth11.jpg

Back