New Yuji Naka Platformer - Balan Wonderworld (Multiplatform)

Favourite title
Shenmue IIx
Currently playing
Ghost of Tsushima
PSN
mjqjazzbar
cos_pc.png

[Edit]

Looks like Naoto Ohshima is also involved. He actually designed Sonic.

Last edited:
Looks kinda interesting. Got some serious Nights and old-school Sega vibes.

Some parts looked really great but on the other hand, some things reminded me of 3-d Sonic which was off-putting.

I'm on the fence about this one, but I'll definitely keep it on my radar. Naka and Oshima could really result in great stuff. Let's wait and see. I'll wait for reviews after it's out but it would be great to see Yuji Naka make a comeback.

Yeah, graphics don't seem like anything that couldn't be done on the PS3 or Xbox 360, but I figure if I support a project like this, it makes a more impressive project possible next time... Hopefully the gameplay is solid.

My kid's obsessed with Sonic right now, so I am totally preordering this. Hopefully the lack of Sonic doesn't put him off... He needs the quality stuff. Maybe an introduction to NiGHTS is due...

Yeah, I think I dig it. The graphics are probably due to there being a Switch version. Totally fine with that despite being a N*ntendo hater if it means it might have a chance of selling well in Japan.

My kid's obsessed with Sonic right now, so I am totally preordering this. Hopefully the lack of Sonic doesn't put him off... He needs the quality stuff. Maybe an introduction to NiGHTS is due...
The male playable character looks suspiciously like a humanoid Sonic. People were saying this guy also kind of looks like Sonic. Untitled.png

Yuji Naka seems way too happy in that top hat.

Looks pretty good. I'm into it, for the most part. I could do without the musical showtunes, personally, but hopefully that gives it a certain appeal that will make it more successful.

I love and hate it.

I love it cuz it oozes Classic Sega mood.

I Hate it cuz Square's taking the name/cred for this risk and not Sega yet it screams "New Sega Mascots" all over it. :(

Just like with Shenmue 3, it's another one Sega's gonna have to take it on the chin. :/

...And Yes I'll buy it to support Naka. Since he's one of the big 4 OG's of Sega.

Looks good! I know it's tailored to kids, but I hope there's some legit puzzle/platforming gameplay in there. I could have done without the narrator in that trailer, it reminds me of the FFXIII announcement trailer for some reason:

Sega made a summary video of NiGHTS. There was a Knights that I didn't know in the second half. Knights was good at music and world view. nostalgic. The Balun Wonder World I'm making now has the same scent.

A bit of a jab at Nights 2? lol. Anyway, glad to see him talking about bringing the 'scent' of the original NiGHTS to his new game. Seems he thinks of development much like our other favorite developer...Or it's just a bad translation. INSTA-PREORDER if you had any doubt.

The PS4 may be old, but mine is not collecting dust yet. Some interesting releases are still coming up. I thought Yakuza 7 might have been the last interesting release for the system but I'm definitely getting Root Film and keeping an eye out for Balan Wonderworld.

This unfortunately does not look like it is going to be good.

Well, I gotta be honest. After going in honestly expecting it to be a bit shit... I think it's actually pretty great?? Once again I feel like I must be a space alien or something as I read people in other places absolutely tearing the game apart. I feel like this is one of those games that makes a lot more sense after playing it for yourself.

It's okay. Don't really see how it's any better or worse than any other collectathon to be honest. But the performance on the Switch version is atrocious! I'm not normally one to bitch about frame rates because I don't give a shit if something is 30 or 60 fps, but the slowdown and stuttering was really noticeable.

From what I played of the demo, it seemed like a relatively simple collectathon with a charming landscape. Didn't blow me away, but then again, I'm not a big fan of the N64 type collectathon. But it looked charming enough and would probably be something I'd buy on a Steam or PSN sale down the line.

Back