Next Generation Thoughts

Are you planning on getting either console within a year of their release?

• Yes - PS5

Votes: 15 30.6%
  • Yes - Xbox Series X

Votes: 4 8.2%
  • Yes - Both

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Neither

Votes: 23 46.9%
  • Unsure

Votes: 4 8.2%

• Total voters
I'm doing this on my phone so will contribute more when I get to my PC. For me, when the PS5 was shown off I was so impressed with the design and eager for something new that my immediate plan was to buy the console, headset, controller stand and spare controller (for display purposes) as soon as I could afford it. Now, the lack of news has killed my momentum.

No concrete confirmation regarding backwards compatability (which will allow me to get rid of my PS4) and no mega games for release. I have zero interest in the new Xbox despite being a big fan during previous. The Xbox One is the first console, aside from the Wii U, that I haven't owned since the Mega Drive. Fable has my interest but that's coming out on PC so if it ends up being a good game will just stream it.

Neither. Xbox launches their games to PC, and it seems Sony its doing the same. If you put a gun in my head, I'd say Xbox because seems a better console and the gamepass it's cheap here, but anyway I dont have 4K TV and so on so it'd be a waste.

I'm gonna wait out and see how the market develops for at least 3 years. Im a cheap guy so I want to wait for hardware prices to come down and I want the console to have a good library before I buy it.

Only reason I'd buy a console before that :S4 comes out before. ;)

Similar to what @spud said. My main platform is pc and I have consoles when the exclusive catalog grows big enough to justify the purchase (that is the reason I do not have a switch since to me is a 2 title platform at the moment) and it seems Microsoft, Sony, SEGA are embracing the pc market.

I also do not like to have a fee for what in PC are basic services like cloud storage or online multiplayer (and more when most of the cases they do not host dedicated servers anyways...).

And what seems to be even worse the launch lineup is extremely thin for both platforms and I think we do not know the price for neither of the consoles. It actually makes me wonder why are people preordering ps5...

i want a ps5(disc)..i would like both consoles but can only afford one + having both consoles would be overkill.

having said that, i prefer the design of the xbox series x.

3 main things i want to know about ps5 is the price, release date & if it can play ps4 games because i'm very tempted to sell my ps4 soon, before it becomes worthless + help pay for a next gen console.

The only game I’m interested in for PS5 is the Demon Soul’s remake. Considering Sony’s stance on many of the games I had bought the PS4 to play in the first place, I don’t think they want my business. Deliberately vague censorship policy that they only seem to apply to devs in Japan do not sit well with me enough to spend hundreds of dollars on. And that is on top of this awful tier kind of thing where the “low” grade one is digital only - I will not support that at all.

The only game I have interest in for Xbox is Halo Infinite, and that’s a hard sell. Graphics are one thing, I don’t really care so much, but it’s the gameplay and story that worry me. Bungee was by no means perfect but most of their games had a pretty good balance. 4 started off ok but 5 just became complete garbage by following modern trends. Infinite looks to at least be taking a critical eye to gameplay from previous games and actually trying to innovate, but who knows.

With more games generally coming to PC, I think I will try to just buy a pretty good one if I can find one I won’t have to replace in a few years to keep up with high end stuff. Nintendo has been a little bit of a roller coaster but nowhere near the lows of the other two and I can usually count on at least a couple of their exclusives each gen to be worth the purchase, and there’s no chance they’ll come to pc anytime soon.

Reactions: red
I've been a PlayStation gamer since the very 1st one but if the news is true that the upcoming Xbox can play Nearly every XBOX OG, 360 & XB1 title as backwards compatible then I am jumping ships. Not really for Xbox Exclusives but for all their ports they got - Shadow of Memories, Burnout 3, Crash Twinsanity, Max Payne, Fahrenheit, Shenmue 2 etc. I've gathered a decent amount of Original & 360 collection from having got a 360 recently and eager to hunt for more original Xbox titles if they can work backwards compatible - I did a video on the importance of backwards compatibility not long ago:

These days most of the franchises I identify as PlayStation are on Xbox and Nintendo anyways - Final Fantasy, Metal Gear Solid, Tekken, Crash, Spyro, Tomb Raider etc. I don't see much difference between the PlayStation & Xbox these days.

I just find it very strange how we're reaching q4 of the year and we've still got no release date for console which really should be out in November before the holiday season. I personally haven't seen a system seller but I am being put off buying new PS4 games hearing they're PS5 & XBSX versions on the way like with Yakuza 7 & Control Ultimate Edition.

Last edited:
The only game I have interest in for Xbox is Halo Infinite, and that’s a hard sell. Graphics are one thing, I don’t really care so much, but it’s the gameplay and story that worry me.

I've been a PlayStation gamer since the very 1st one but if the news is true that the upcoming Xbox can play Nearly every XBOX OG, 360 & XB1 title as backwards compatible then I am jumping ships.

halo infinite and the xbox series x ability to play old games with boosted graphics is two great selling points for the xbox.. but i would be very surprised if the next gen xbox could play all original xbox games, didnt the xbox one struggle to play them all? ( if the ps5 could play ps3 games, i would instantly dump my old tank of a ps3 console )

i would of prefered to see halo infinite with more realistic graphics but they are normally fun games.. i'm thinking about getting an old, cheap xbox one to play it, rather than next gen ( i also still need to play gears of war 4 & 5).

sucks for us normal people because when ever the preorders go live, you can guarantee both consoles are gonna sell out.. people are just gonna take the piss and buy 2+ consoles just to resell for profit.

From my understanding it probably took them some very specific work to get just a portion of 360 games to work on the One. And if I’m remembering right, not all original Xbox games work exactly right on 360 unfortunately. I’d have got Infinite on the One but I ended up selling mine years ago when there were no other exclusives I liked coming to it.

Yeah scalpers are a pain, though tbh I almost never get a console on launch these days since I figure I’ll wait for at least a couple I like to come out. Got both my 360 and PS3 years later, WiiU after Wind Waker HD came out, PS4 for Bloodborne, Switch for Travis Strikes Again. I think the One might be the only console I decided to buy when it released.

Reactions: red
As a new generation approaches, I always feel like it's probably best if they delay it for a year. I have literally seen nothing game wise that looks better than anything we've seen this generation already. Furthermore, it looks like games are struggling to do 60fps and 4k. With 4k gaming, my brother has a PS4 Pro but I struggle to see the difference. For me, the next generation should be less about resolution and more about textures and gameplay. I just hope we don't have to wait 2-3 years to see games that couldn't have been done on the previous generation.

Possibly an unpopular opinion, but I feel this has been the worst generation for Xbox and I really don't see the point of getting a Series X, at least anytime soon. There were fewer big-time exclusives, and Halo and Gears have taken a step back, or at the very least plateaued.

Mostly from the top of my head, here were some of the big console exclusives on each Xbox:
OG Xbox had Halo 1 and 2, Ninja Gaiden, KOTOR 1 and 2, Jade Empire, Morrowind, Splinter Cell, Crimson Skies, MechAssault, and a bunch of Sega exclusives.

Xbox 360 had Halo 3, ODST, and Reach. BioShock, Mass Effect, and Oblivion as big timed exclusives, Gears 1, 2, and 3.

Xbox One had arguably the weakest Halo games and the weakest Gears of War games. It seems Forza is going strong, Master Chief Collection was a good value, as was Rare Replay, but there haven't really been "must have" exclusive games. Cuphead and Ori were timed exclusives, but also smaller digital releases. It seems Sunset Overdrive and Quantum Break are in the "good not great" category. Correct me if I'm wrong and if I missed any major releases.

We'll see what comes out of studios like The Initiative, maybe Rare can focus on making an awesome Perfect Dark instead of Kinect games, Obsidian's "Avowed" has the potential to be a big title, but we'll see (same with Fable). I liked "Enslaved", but unless Microsoft is willing to invest a lot into the sequel it wouldn't fall into a "blockbuster exclusive" category. It also seems that their strategy is to simply undercut with gamepass, instead of compete head to head with stronger software. And with that being said, you might just be better off to see how far you can go with gamepass or buying the games on PC instead of buying an Xbox.

Microsoft simply mismanage their studios. They act like your typical, large corporate company that hasn't got a clue about the real world. All their studios are literally set up to make a single game. 343 Studios and Coalition games have literally been made to make Halo, Gears and nothing else. They are sitting on the likes of Conker, Perfect Dark, Fable, Age of Empires and more. Give your studios freedom and they get to create a diverse library.

Sony on the other hand have Sucker Punch making Infamous and Ghost of Tsushima, Naughty Dog making Uncharted and The Last of Us, Guerilla from KillZone to Horizon and even Santa Monica were creating a new game before developing a completely revamped God of War.

Halo was one of my favourite forms of media ever. I was a genuine fan until Halo 4. Loved Gears but even looking at it now it seems the same. Sometimes stories I have to die and be moved on from.

Nah, need a PS4, Switch, and Wii-U first. Plus I'm still inching my way through the 360 back catalogue I have before blitzing the Xbox One games. But I'll eventually get the Series X.

I'll be buying both the PS5 & Xbox. Both have games that are exclusive to the platform. The Xbox will be backwards compatible with every generation so thats a plus for me. Xbox has to find a way to increase its 1st party lineup. I wish the PS5 would follow the same example but PS always has some of the best AAA 1st party games so I'll always support PS.

They are sitting on the likes of Conker, Perfect Dark, Fable, Age of Empires and more. Give your studios freedom and they get to create a diverse library.
That might be true for most of their previous studios but Rare had a degree of freedom compared to the others but little success. Perfect dark zero, viva pinyata, banjo kazooie nut and bolts were not popular and they seem more Rare fault than MS.

I don't know about Sea of thieves if it is also a fiasco or has been a success.

For me, it's a toss-up between backwards compatibility with the Series X or the exclusives for PlayStation 5. Games that interest me the most such as Lost Soul Aside and Ghost of Tsushima are Sony exclusive. While none of the exclusives on Series X interest me much. My solution is to simply buy a PC for older games that won't be running on PlayStation 5 and get the PlayStation 5 for games I do want.

Also, to answer everyone's question about the PlayStation 5's backwards compatibility, it will play Playstation 4 games only due to having the same architecture according to Mark Cerny.

I think if backwards compatibility is a major selling point for some of you, I would just wait a few months post launch to see what features are announced and how well it works on each system. IMO I still think it's way too early for this to be a deciding factor with the limited information we have.

For exclusives, as a rule I usually at minimum only expect first party games to be exclusive on each console. Everything else is fair game to come out on multiple consoles. When all's said and done there will indeed be some exclusive 2nd/3rd party titles that stay exclusive, but that's not something I would count on 100%.

Back