Next Generation Thoughts

Are you planning on getting either console within a year of their release?

• Yes - PS5

Votes: 15 30.6%
  • Yes - Xbox Series X

Votes: 4 8.2%
  • Yes - Both

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Neither

Votes: 23 46.9%
  • Unsure

Votes: 4 8.2%

• Total voters
So for PS4 games on PS5 - Is there any toggle feature in the setting to Boost or Supersampling like on PS4 Pro?

Or does it just do it? Looking on Days Gone I see no option in regards to Performance Mode, Nor in the Systems Settings.

So about that order / pre order chaos again ...
After ordering my PS5 on November 19, 09:30 am, with a order confirmation,
a deposit of 150€ (because of safety reasons) that arrived one day later on my account
(which switched my order status from deposit to ordered) and no new message since then,
my order was now canceled too. Which means it will be impossible to get one in 2020
because that was the last official batch from Sony.

I'm for one haven't been concerned about hard drive space because on the PS4 (500gb model), I never really ran out of space. If I did, there were always games I did not play that I was happy to delete. With that said, the PS5 hard drive space is going to be a problem for a lot of people I feel. My brother was only selecting the games his genuinely plays: Devil May Cry 5, Monster Hunter, Call of Duty, Rocket League, Mortal Kombat, PES 2020, Ghost of Tsushima and Street Fighter. A decent amount of games, all PS4 games BTW, but it could not all fit on the Hard Drive. He purchased an external HDD for the PS4 games.

Man. Story incoming.
So ... here i am again. And somehow i was able to order a PS5 again.
After my canceled order i almost gave up. I searched through Ebay and Ebay classifieds
but all this stuff is 90% scammers, fake stuff, identity theft and other bs.
So i came to the conclusion that i wont even try it there, its not worth the risk
and i dont want to give some random guy 800-1200€.

I still had my online store website tabs open and before closing them all yesterday,
i refreshed all of them one more time. Out of stock / can no longer be ordered,
Out of stock / can no longer be ordered, Out of stock / can no longer be ordered,
Out of stock / can no longer be ordered, Out of stock / can no longer be ordered,
Out of stock / can no longer be ordered, Out of stock / can no longer be ordered, ...

But on one site the PS5 disc version was available.
The weird thing is, this site belongs to a chain of stores and depending on your address,
the site will only show you available things at your nearest store.
And this store is only 3 KM away from my place. So i immediately put it in the shopping basket
and logged in into my account (i made an account for every shop, just in case)
and of course other people probably found it too in this time frame
so the site was just not responding anymore after that step. I refreshed again and again and again
and thought well, its probably gone now. But then suddenly the site loaded again
and i was able to choose a payment option. Site stopped loading again after that.
Refresh refresh refresh refresh refresh refresh refresh ... "please confirm order." ... "Order confirmed."

After that process the site was not responding anymore, it only showed a text saying
"Sorry but the site is offline right now because of the high request rate for the PS5".
The site was offline after that for the whole day.
I checked my emails and there was a order confirmation, but the email said
that this is not a product confirmation, the staff has to manually check the order.
So it was still a possibility that this whole thing was just some server mistake
or that i was way too late. It was sunday and shops are completely closed on sunday here
(and a lot of them even in the week because of COVID safety reasons). So i couldnt do anything.

I was pretty sure that this process was some kind of mistake and they would write me an email next day
like sorry buddy but the consoles are long gone, we just forgot to delete the page after november 19, order canceled.
But to my surprise i received one email on monday morning
and it was a order + product confirmation, order accepted, from that store 3 KM away.
Delivery time frame december 15-24.
This is so weird. Like how high are the chances that i refresh a specific online shop at a random time on a sunday
and suddenly there is a PS5 available in a store that is like 20 minutes away.
What a random weird event.

So for PS4 games on PS5 - Is there any toggle feature in the setting to Boost or Supersampling like on PS4 Pro?

Or does it just do it? Looking on Days Gone I see no option in regards to Performance Mode, Nor in the Systems Settings.
I don't think there are specific settings. Or at least I haven't seen any when I've went looking through menus.

For games like Shenmue III that are uncapped in frame rate, it just locks them to whatever their target frame rate is. So in Shenmue's case it just goes to 60fps and stays there at all times.

But I haven't seen anything in the way of special settings for PS4 games. There may be options there but none that I've seen when digging around. None at a system level at least.

Funny thing, I was playing The Last Guardian on stream tonight at 60fps on PS5 (straight version off disc without any patches targets 60fps...with latest 1.03 patch installed it targets 30fps)...It was running mostly fine and was not glitching out in the slightest. Until I got to the bridge section (the bridge section they showed in the E3 2015 conference)...went to jump over to Trico from the collapsing bridge and the game froze mid jump. The game kept doing it every time mid jump. I would quit and restart the game but every time mid jump it would just lock up and not complete the scripted set piece.

Had to install the latest patch just to get past that segment and then once I was past that segment, I had to uninstall the game completely and reinstall the disc version to get my 60fps Trico back. Seems to be fine now we're past that segment, but yeah, first time I've seen the console screw up with backwards compatibility. Still not sure what caused it. The game was running perfectly fine until that one scripted segment.

BTW, that game looks SO much better at 60fps! I can't overstate how GOOD that game feels at 60fps compared to 30fps. The boys movement just feels so much better to me at 60fps and even Trico looks better at 60fps in terms of his animations. I feel like that is the way to play that game and I would hope they would release a new patch making it optional for PS5 users so that way we don't have resort to original disc version to get the unlocked 60fps target frame rate.

Last edited:
I looked for that information too and found some other boards / forums
where they talked about it and tested it.
There is a performance / quality option in the PS5 settings,
i think its called something like save data and game settings
but it seems like it doesnt do anything for PS4 games?

Some people tested Last of Us 1 for example and said that they have a extra supersample / 4K option
on PS4 Pro (1080p screen with the supersampling mode in the PS settings enabled) but the option is missing on PS5.
So it seems like the Pros optional system supersampling is not available on PS5 at the moment?
Which means if you are on the Pro with a 1080p screen, you can force PS4 games to start with the supersampling mode
and the games will recognize that and offer you that option or automatically use the resolution mode
but if you are on PS5 with a 1080p screen you will only get the standard resolution.

I don't think there are specific settings. Or at least I haven't seen any when I've went looking through menus.

For games like Shenmue III that are uncapped in frame rate, it just locks them to whatever their target frame rate is. So in Shenmue's case it just goes to 60fps and stays there at all times.

But I haven't seen anything in the way of special settings for PS4 games. There may be options there but none that I've seen when digging around. None at a system level at least.

Funny thing, I was playing The Last Guardian on stream tonight at 60fps on PS5 (straight version off disc without any patches targets 60fps...with latest 1.03 patch installed it targets 30fps)...It was running mostly fine and was not glitching out in the slightest. Until I got to the bridge section (the bridge section they showed in the E3 2015 conference)...went to jump over to Trico from the collapsing bridge and the game froze mid jump. The game kept doing it every time mid jump. I would quit and restart the game but every time mid jump it would just lock up and not complete the scripted set piece.

Had to install the latest patch just to get past that segment and then once I was past that segment, I had to uninstall the game completely and reinstall the disc version to get my 60fps Trico back. Seems to be fine now we're past that segment, but yeah, first time I've seen the console screw up with backwards compatibility. Still not sure what caused it. The game was running perfectly fine until that one scripted segment.

BTW, that game looks SO much better at 60fps! I can't overstate how GOOD that game feels at 60fps compared to 30fps. The boys movement just feels so much better to me at 60fps and even Trico looks better at 60fps in terms of his animations. I feel like that is the way to play that game and I would hope they would release a new patch making it optional for PS5 users so that way we don't have resort to original disc version to get the unlocked 60fps target frame rate.
As it's now free, I gave it a shot on the PS4 and was immediately impressed with the visuals. However, the frame rate was so bad it was off putting so shelved it until I get a PS5.

On the PS5, my brother has an issue with one of the Tomb Raider games. It will crash every time a minute after you're in the game unless you turn the sound affects all the way down. Strange but it's now working since the latest PS5 update.

As it's now free, I gave it a shot on the PS4 and was immediately impressed with the visuals. However, the frame rate was so bad it was off putting so shelved it until I get a PS5.

On the PS5, my brother has an issue with one of the Tomb Raider games. It will crash every time a minute after you're in the game unless you turn the sound affects all the way down. Strange but it's now working since the latest PS5 update.
That's the only bad thing about it. The digital version can't be un-patched. It will just install the latest patch and lock it at 30fps on PS5 no matter what. Where as the retail Disc version is unlocked targeting 60 on disc and you can at least disconnect from the internet and not let it patch and keep that original on-disc version.

I don't really get why it was targeting 60fps in its initial retail disc version but then changed to 30fps limit in a patch. I guess maybe further optimization to get it running better or probably due to the PS4 resolution upgrade I guess. I hope they actually do another patch and bring back that unlocked 60fps for both retail and digital versions but I remain skeptical they will. I don't think they're gonna be doing much in the way of that stuff for most PS4 games going forward, but who knows?

I remember playing through and finishing it on a Base PS4 the day of release and I remember how badly it chugged on that console. It wasn't too bad when you were in-doors but the moment you stepped into an outside area and the wind simulation kicked in and Trico's feathers started rustling then the game just chugged down to 20fps if not 15fps at times.

That game (and Yakuza 6 at the time) was one of the reasons I ended up buying a PS4 Pro. I wasn't gonna do it initially, but hearing that the game ran at a locked 30fps on PS4 Pro was enough to make me trade up at that time. Just because I feared it was gonna become more of a trend. Lower frame rates on Base PS4 with the games running better on the PS4 Pro was my fear after seeing TLG.

Didn't quite go that way entirely, but some games did indeed benefit from the Pro. But TLG is a game that really benefits from a console that can just blast through that code with ease. In some ways, it probably is a game that could have been optimized better. I mean GoT has some amazing wind tech that works very well on PS4 Base and Pro so TLG probably should have been optimized better. But that game does benefit from hardware that can just crunch those numbers with ease and looks and runs better than ever at 60fps.

I'm still kind of curious to see how that game ran on PS3...I still kind of want to see the last PS3 code of TLG before it got moved to PS4...just because I'm really curious how it ran and looked on PS3...it had to have been pushing that console to its breaking point.

Last edited:
Back