Next Generation Thoughts

Are you planning on getting either console within a year of their release?

• Yes - PS5

Votes: 15 30.6%
  • Yes - Xbox Series X

Votes: 4 8.2%
  • Yes - Both

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Neither

Votes: 23 46.9%
  • Unsure

Votes: 4 8.2%

• Total voters
I've had the same PS4 controller since 2017 (when I got my console) and it has held up tremendously; hell, I've never had to replace a single controller I've ever owned, over all of my consoles, regardless of brand or gen.

Perhaps I'm too gentle? lol

Also, I've never been a fan of any PS controller (they're not bad, just not a fan), but I find the PS4 controller to be the most solid, beefiest and most comfortable of all PS controllers I've ever used; JMO.

I'm weird though; I prefer the Duke over any of the first Xbox controllers and I'm the only person I know who DOESN'T hold an N64 controller properly lol

I have a original PS4 controller from 2015 and a updated one that came with the Pro
and they both are still 100% okay even tho i played Nioh, Dynasty Warriors, Dark Souls, Yakuza and so on
for hundreds of hours each. I clean them like once a month with a wet towel, thats it.
Dont know about the battery, i'm using a USB cable extension because my consoles are like
4 meters away behind a desk so i dont hear them.

You obviously don't play a lot of Rage inducing games. Or have children constantly throwing it around.... Or have the controller get lost and dragged under the sofa every time you extend the recliner...

I still blame Sony....

True. I dont have kids and i'm really not a rage quit kind of player.
Even when i die like 70 times in Bloodborne because of one boss
i dont throw / squeeze / crush the controller.

The only time i saw a broken controller, was when i helped out a friend buying a new Xbox One on day one.
It came with a broken controller, the triggers were jammed

The main thing I always liked about PS controllers is they kept the d-pad in a high priority location. It was worse for games that required heavy analogy usage (most 3D games), but I thought they solved that with the DS4. I have a launch DS4, so the rubber on the left analog disintegrated off in like a year lmao. Otherwise it has held up surprisingly well with me beating the ever loving shit out of with for all kinds of beat em ups, shmups, etc. Hell, even when playing JRPGs I find myself mashing the confirm button almost non-stop during battles as if that'll make things go faster.

Left on the d-pad is finally starting to go out, though. :( Still not sure what to buy as a replacement since Retrobit never released those Megadrive & Saturn pads with analogs slapped on. The new-ish Xbox controller looks really neat and is supposedly a little smaller which I like, but I don't know if I can accept the d-pad being in a lower priority position on the controller. Conversely the PS5 controller has the d-pad placement I like, but I don't like how it's even larger than the DS4.

I'm weird though; I prefer the Duke over any of the first Xbox controllers
It always makes me happy to see people give the Duke love, which is weird because it's way too thicc for my personal tastes. I guess because it's so distinct and people were so mean to it back in the day lol.

I'm the only person I know who DOESN'T hold an N64 controller properly lol
Don't worry, there's no proper way to hold that abomination. Yes I'm still very bitter over only having an nSHITTY4 during the 5th gen...

I used to get made fun of constantly for how I hold it lol.

But, then again, I would beat everyone at Goldeneye constantly and consistently and I didn't even own the console at the time ;).

I used to get made fun of constantly for how I hold it lol.

But, then again, I would beat everyone at Goldeneye constantly and consistently and I didn't even own the console at the time ;).
To be fair, is there even a proper way to hold that controller? Looks cool, especially for the time, but just like every Nintendo controller (I'll give the Switch a pass), it's an ergonomic mess.

For most games I think holding the middle and right were pretty optimal, which I think is why the Wii and nunchuck felt familiar to me.

Well my PS5 is paid in full and I've been told I'm guaranteed Day One. So, in just over a month I should have it.

Feels like it is all ramping up now. Changes being made to the trophy system lately. Changes being made to the PSN store. A new PSN store supposedly launching this month. Backwards compatibility detailed on the PlayStation Blog. PlayStation 5 tear down video (that fucking heat sink!).

All I'm waiting for now is a bloody UI video. I want to see what changes they've made to the UI.

Other than that, next gen is rapidly approaching.

I had a PS4's joystick in my hands and surprised me how light weighted its in comparisson with my xbox one controller. Like I could broke it easily. The analogs (or whatever its called, the thing you use to move nowadays) were made with kinda shitty materials.

Gotta say the new xbox looks pretty good, like a cute mini PC, but it's useless because I already have a good PC.

If you dont have a PC its a great deal.

I measured the space where my PS5 would go when I get one and it doesn't fit. I really don't want this thing lying horizontally. If it wasn't for Cyberpunk I'll almost definitely be waiting for the slim version.

Gotta say the new xbox looks pretty good, like a cute mini PC, but it's useless because I already have a good PC.

If you dont have a PC its a great deal.
That's exactly how I feel as well, absolutely love the compact little form factor. If they sold it as a prebuilt PC that ran Windows, I would pay up to a $350 mark-up to have it as my next PC. I say markup since of course they only sell consoles as cheap at launch as they do because they get a cut of all software sold for the thing. Obviously not really the case for a Windows PC even if Microsoft is the one that makes the OS.

I measured the space where my PS5 would go when I get one and it doesn't fit. I really don't want this thing lying horizontally. If it wasn't for Cyberpunk I'll almost definitely be waiting for the slim version.
You could always play the PS4 version of Cyberpunk until a PS5 slim comes out. But I suppose you're worried about current gen performance for the game?

That's exactly how I feel as well, absolutely love the compact little form factor. If they sold it as a prebuilt PC that ran Windows, I would pay up to a $350 mark-up to have it as my next PC. I say markup since of course they only sell consoles as cheap at launch as they do because they get a cut of all software sold for the thing. Obviously not really the case for a Windows PC even if Microsoft is the one that makes the OS.

You could always play the PS4 version of Cyberpunk until a PS5 slim comes out. But I suppose you're worried about current gen performance for the game?
Exactly. If they put a Windows 10 on it, your turn it into a PC and then you get the market of the pc gamers. Its a master move. I'd definetely sell my PC to buy a Xbox one series X with a W10. Idk why they didnt realize it, it's silly.

Loved the Witcher so want the best experience for this game. Told myself I would only get it on the next generation of consoles and when the update is released.

All I really want from this generation above all else is an emphasis on hitting 60fps for most if not all games.

That's really all I want from this generation. Sure, SSD load times are nice and all, but I really want more emphasis on performance above all else.

I prefer this style of presentations; simple and to the point. Previously it's been too artsy and bland. One question I have from this is he mentions something along the lines of "many" backwards compatible PS4 games will be available on the PS5 store. Does this mean that the whole library won't be available? What about the digital game we already own?

I prefer this style of presentations; simple and to the point. Previously it's been too artsy and bland. One question I have from this is he mentions something along the lines of "many" backwards compatible PS4 games will be available on the PS5 store. Does this mean that the whole library won't be available? What about the digital game we already own?

I think they meant more so that some PS4 games will support some of this new UI and tracking progress stuff, while others won't.

I imagine everything will run Day 1 (with exception of those 10 titles confirmed not to work), but some PS4 games may utilize some of this new UI stuff, while others won't? That was the gist I took from it.

As for the UI...looks neat and clean. Looks nice and snappy. Hopefully, it stays that way. But yeah, looks nice and clean all around.

Back