Next Generation Thoughts

Are you planning on getting either console within a year of their release?

• Yes - PS5

Votes: 15 30.6%
  • Yes - Xbox Series X

Votes: 4 8.2%
  • Yes - Both

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Neither

Votes: 23 46.9%
  • Unsure

Votes: 4 8.2%

• Total voters
I can’t say for sure where I saw it but I remember something about a list of games that won’t be compatible. A lot of people guessing some might have to do with licensing not being renewed for PS5 rather than actually being incompatible.

Takeaways from the UI video?

-- Looks nice and clean.

-- Looks like an evolution of the PS4 UI.

-- Looks like Sony is doing some of the Snap stuff that Xbox One was attempting to do way back when. I don't know if I'll ever watch someone else's gameplay while playing, but it is neat. Maybe if they integrate Twitch into that PIP stuff. That could be cool if I wasn't just limited to watching my friends play.

-- Integration of the built-in mic in the controller seems interesting.

-- The store built into the system is a step in the right direction. Here's hoping for faster download speeds across the board.

-- Tracking progress is gonna make trophy hunting a little easier.

I don't know. It seems nice and snappy all around.

I think they meant more so that some PS4 games will support some of this new UI and tracking progress stuff, while others won't.

I imagine everything will run Day 1 (with exception of those 10 titles confirmed not to work), but some PS4 games may utilize some of this new UI stuff, while others won't? That was the gist I took from it.

As for the UI...looks neat and clean. Looks nice and snappy. Hopefully, it stays that way. But yeah, looks nice and clean all around.
It's around the 10 minute mark. He's specifically talking about content on the PS5 store.

It's around the 10 minute mark. He's specifically talking about content on the PS5 store.

I think the reason he doesn't say "All PS4 games" is simply because there are 10 listed games that don't work on it. And they've already listed those 10 games on the blog. So hence "many."

They've already said there are at least 10 games that won't run on PS5 (I can't remember all 10 but they weren't especially major games in any way)

I imagine most of that library will run fine on day one.

The PS5 UI software looks like a step back from the PS4 and it even looks less refreshed. I find it less attractive than even the PS3 UI (though it does look more modern). It seems the PS4 and PS3 hardware aren't the only things that look better than the PS5, the older software layouts do too from first impression. Same goes for launch titles and the controller design. Hey, at least the graphics will be better??

I'm really keen to get my hands on the Dual Sense controller. A lot of people being wowed by it as embargoes broke got me a little more excited to get my hands on one and see how it feels for myself.

Not long now, two and a half weeks and I should have mine in house.

edit - ignore this post. i just noticed a better youtube clip was posted of the dashboard several posts ago.
leaked pic of the ps5 dashboard

Last edited:
I'm really keen to get my hands on the Dual Sense controller. A lot of people being wowed by it as embargoes broke got me a little more excited to get my hands on one and see how it feels for myself.

Not long now, two and a half weeks and I should have mine in house.

I am keen to get my hands on it too but realise that the media blow things out of proportion all the time. WhatCulture had a good and subdued preview of it saying it's in the gimmicky stage but still feels very unique.

Sony seems to be willing to take anti-consumer to a whole new level with the PS5. Seems they're going into full-on "Xbox Mode". Did they hire Phil Spencer?

Sony seems to be willing to take anti-consumer to a whole new level with the PS5. Seems they're going into full-on "Xbox Mode". Did they hire Phil Spencer?
Yeah they've been pissing people off left and right lately. Arrogant Sony has returned. Ah lets be honest, arrogant Sony never left, they just played nice last gen to get the lead.

Yeah they've been pissing people off left and right lately. Arrogant Sony has returned. Ah lets be honest, arrogant Sony never left, they just played nice last gen to get the lead.
Sony is essentially the Apple of the video game world. Legitimate industry leadership success and innovation during one generation and they then can manipulate the market with psychological marketing tactics to then continue over decades delivering an over-hyped and under-delivered product. Not only is the PS5 the most hideous and ergonomically unfriendly looking console in the last 25 years, it's lending way to more internal control and limiting experience for the end user. I would like to say they may even offer their own color options in time, but if Sony's history(and other companies with the same arrogant bravado in their marketing) indicates anything it's more than likely they will present the PS5 with the usual tone "you'll take it the way we give it to you and like it, because were _____________ and we have a customer base that is 'special' and of a 'higher quality'!" (Fill in the blank Sony, Apple, Samsung, etc). Sony isn't bad, they're just not as good as they think they are, nor are they as well rounded as their competition.

At first glance, what you're saying sounds kind of negative and hyperbole, but you're probably right about Sony. It seems the PS4 was the odd one out, unfortunately.

At first glance, what you're saying sounds kind of negative and hyperbole, but you're probably right about Sony. It seems the PS4 was the odd one out, unfortunately.
I think there is an element of truth to it though. Going into the PS4, they needed momentum considering the PS3 and its launch. Microsoft were fucking it up left and right while Sony came almost with the image of "hey, we're your buddies! We've got your back!"

This gen? I feel like it's kind of reversed. Microsoft is trying to be more consumer friendly while Sony is being less so. From imposing censorship on Japanese developers. Granted, yes, it's fringe waifu anime games but still, I don't think their shit would be sitting well with Japanese developers. To just some of the weird things they've been doing as of late. It feels like positions have reversed.

But it probably won't matter seeing that Sony still has games that people want and the console is sold out as of this date. But I do feel like arrogant Sony is back in full swing a little.

They sold over 113 million PS4 consoles (most successful console of this generation)
and there are reports of some big distributors
who said that the PS5 pre orders are surpassing the Xbox Series X pre orders by far.
For example one of the biggest distributors for the german speaking regions reported
that the ratio between PS5 and Xbox Series X (Series S included) is about 10:1
which would mean lets say there are 400.000 PS5 pre orders in Germany,
then there are only 30.000 pre orders for the new Xbox series.

So if Sony wants to get more cocky or stay cocky, i dont think they have to be afraid of losing customers.
I'm not a fan of the censorship stuff or that Sony can just apply their own protection of minors rules
even though we already have official rating companies for every region
or how they changed the PS5 first party games prices to 79,99
but if we look at the user numbers, it doesnt seem like the core of the community cares about that at all.

I think even the biggest controversial discussions are actually not that big,
those are discussions in different community bubbles
but the core God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn, Days Gone whatever players dont care about it at all.
They just want to pre order the new Demons Souls and thats it. A lot of people said they are fine with paying 580 USD / €
just to play Demons Souls. They wont care if Sony censors the next DoA Beach Vollyball game
or if they refuse to allow the next Senran Kagura game on the PS5.
I'm pretty sure Sony could simply ban this type of "asian erotic" content
and there would be controversial discussions about it for a couple of weeks but the core community would just move on.
Issue settled. Even if Sony scares away like 1-5% of the community with that,
1-3% of them will come back with the next three console exclusive games.
Sony would need to f up way bigger to hurt the hype fan core community.
Sony Playstation is not really a japanese brand anymore. Its more like a US brand with some japanese friends.

So i dont think Sony will approach us or developrs in a more friendly way.

God I hate how expensive controllers have gotten. I'm thinking about just saying fuck it and going with the wired Power A Xbone controller for $25, but all the top customer reviews have me scared of getting a lemon. Plus I really want to try the new d-pad if I'm being completely honest...Untitled.png

Microsoft's approach did have me half-consider getting the new Xbox but then all the fluffy stuff around being consumer friendly wore off and I went back to realising they have no games. Wasn't a fan of Sony with the lack of information and such, but just the effort they put into the controller alone has me interested. Whether I get it within the next few months all comes down to whether the Cyberpunk 2077 upgrade is worth getting the console for.

I also measured out the space where it would go and the 15.4 inch height, if that doesn't include the stand then the console, won't fit where I need it too. I like/I'm okay with the design standing up but think it will be too much of an eye sore laying down. Where to put the damn thing is actually a major consideration of mine.

Seems harsh but it could be due to Sony not officially endorsing swapping out faceplates in case someone produces something that's ill fitted or somehow interferes with the fan. Or, they just want to be the first out of the gate when it comes to selling the replacement cases.

God I hate how expensive controllers have gotten. I'm thinking about just saying fuck it and going with the wired Power A Xbone controller for $25, but all the top customer reviews have me scared of getting a lemon. Plus I really want to try the new d-pad if I'm being completely honest...View attachment 9573
I remember hearing about how controllers used to be dirt cheap to produce and the most profitable bit of hardware for a console. With all the tech that is now in them, we'll with the PlayStation one anyway, I can see why they're so expensive. Consoles are also sold at a loss so they have to make it up some how. I'm planning on having two PS5 controllers and will try to make them last the entire generation by keeping them away from the kids who broke at least two of my PS4 controllers.

How are you guys planning to place your PS5’s? I am seeing if I can rearrange my media center and have it in the middle horizontally.

hZBdhci.jpg

Alternatively have it on the top left of TV cabinet in this this orentation but I believe the cables would be visible which I obviously don’t want. Decisions, decisions...

Back