Nintendo Switch OLED

SliverOfSand

I see...
Favourite title
Shenmue II
Currently playing
The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles

So I guess this is the switch Pro… not really sure what to think about this thing. The improvements they’ve made are nice quality of life changes, but I was expecting a bit more technical details. So far I only have a Lite, and I was considering getting a docking switch, but I’m not sure I would be convinced to actually buy the OLED over the normal one unless there are actual hardware improvements. I’m also wondering how much more this will cost… What do you guys think about this? Are the improvements they showed in this trailer enough to warrant buying it?

As someone who doesn't own a Switch this might be a good entry into the system. Either because the price is OK or they sell off the old models cheap.

If I owned a Switch already I'd not even upgrade. There's no real point. The dock will be avaliable separately anyway and barring the screen and a upgrade for internal memory it's the same console.

Good if you don't own the Switch but overall not very enticing for a current owner. Even my 4 year old has got bored of the Switch. Played Mario Kart to deaths and there are so few games on the console.
I agree, the switch seems to me like it really only has long-term appeal to Nintendo fans. I got a deal on the lite I have, and I actually really enjoy just having a small, portable device to take with me. But I don’t really need to play any of my switch games on a tv. The only time I’d want to have a dock would be to play with friends or relatives, but I don’t have anyone who’s interested in playing with me so it’s not really worth the investment. :/

Hmmm, so there is no real advantage to the TV display features? Looks like I'll be waiting until Nint's next-gen entry instead. I had a Switch a few years ago and I simply never played it. I never seem to be able to get into Nintendo properties - Although I at least enjoyed Mario Kart 8 this time around. I have a few games for the system, mostly JRPG exclusives that interest me but for me to re-buy the system and use it over my PS5 Nint' have to really bring something that isn't going to fall behind from a technical standpoint as much as say the Wii - Had the WiiU been able to upscale Wii games my stance would be very different.

Last edited:
Off topic slightly but I feel Nintendo get too comfortable on the money they make from the consoles. The console was released in 2017 and it seems most of the AAA first party games have been ports. Where's a new Star Fox entry? Metroid 4 has been announced but no release date or gameplay.

I have a Switch Lite and I am almost considering doing a trade for it.

Two reasons; 1.) I love my Vita's OLED screen and it REALLY does make a difference on a handheld. 2.) I do kind of miss not having video output on the Switch Lite. The Switch Lite is damn near perfect. If it had the video output, it would have been the perfect form of the Switch for me, but yeah, I do kind of miss the option of video out more than I thought.

I know I'm probably picking up Shin Megami Tensei V this year so it would be nice to have the option to play either on my Monitor or in handheld mode and again, that OLED screen is VERY tempting.

But then again, who's to say that eventual Switch upgrade won't come out next year? You know its gonna happen at some point. Once that chip shortage dies down and chips become available again, you kind of know the next Switch will be in the making...so yeah...to stay with the Switch Lite or upgrade to Switch OLED or wait it out?

Will see how I feel and what EB offers for trade in.

But then again, who's to say that eventual Switch upgrade won't come out next year? You know its gonna happen at some point. Once that chip shortage dies down and chips become available again, you kind of know the next Switch will be in the making...so yeah...to stay with the Switch Lite or upgrade to Switch OLED or wait it out?

Will see how I feel and what EB offers for trade in.
I’m really not sure why Nintendo didn’t just wait and make these improvements on a switch pro, because like you said, it’s hard to decide if you should spring for the OLED model or wait for the eventual Pro model. I’m really wondering how well this thing will sell because of that.

I’m really not sure why Nintendo didn’t just wait and make these improvements on a switch pro, because like you said, it’s hard to decide if you should spring for the OLED model or wait for the eventual Pro model. I’m really wondering how well this thing will sell because of that.
It's Nintendo...it will sell. No matter what....but will be interesting to see none the less.

I thought it was gonna be another New 3DS situation. As in not a system that could do 4K, but a system that would at least have more ram or more horsepower in the CPU to allow for slightly better performance (and maybe a slight resolution up bump for some games) but apparently not.

Really not for me as I primarily use my Switch docked but I’m hoping it’ll shut up all the idiots who take entirely baseless rumors and run with them. So tired of hearing about “pro” nonsense. That kind of stuff is a waste to begin with and that time, effort, and budget is better spent on a brand new console rather than minor upgrades you’d be paying full price for.

This seems like something that's not worth an "upgrade", but worth getting if you don't have a Switch yet. I'm not sure how much this moves the needle, though, especially since there are still some pretty major features missing for a modern portable system, such as the ability to use bluetooth headphones.

It would also be great to get the tv/movie apps on Switch that will allow you to download movies offline. That's another major oversight of the system, IMO, as it would be awesome for travel.

This seems like something that's not worth an "upgrade", but worth getting if you don't have a Switch yet. I'm not sure how much this moves the needle, though, especially since there are still some pretty major features missing for a modern portable system, such as the ability to use bluetooth headphones.

It would also be great to get the tv/movie apps on Switch that will allow you to download movies offline. That's another major oversight of the system, IMO, as it would be awesome for travel.
Agreed, the improvements they have are nice, but very minimal. I agree with the tv apps, it would be great if they had more options for movies and shows. If they did that, it would feel closer to the level of the PS4 and Xbox as a whole ‘entertainment system’ rather than a game console.

It's pretty disappointing for a player who primarily plays docked. I was hoping for something Pro/X-like, with 4k or something like that. Certainly the Switch to pick up if you don't have one already, but for my usage, not worth grabbing.

Back