Nostalgic train - anyone playing this?

Master Kyodai

Space Cowboy
https://store.steampowered.com/app/801260/NOSTALGIC_TRAIN/

Anyone else playing this? I've been a supporter from nearly day 1 and also helped a bit with the English translation (Still a community hack thingy). Not really close to Shenmue as it lacks 3rd person and fighting but what i really appreciated is the fact that it kinda is a snapshot of a specific town in Japan from the past - which was what also fascinated me about Shenmue. In a nutshell it is a mix of the infamous Japanase "Visual novel" and a walking simulator - plus a train driving simulator ("Densha de Go" ftw!). I really love it, just hanging out in Natsu Giri - that small town from the late 1950s. The buildings, the sounds, the music. I always keep on dreaming since it reminds me so much of these tinyvillages i discovered during my trips to Japan in real life. So - no other players around?

Before today I hadn't heard of the game, but from I can see it looks like a walking simulator done right. I hope someone comes along and licenses the game to bring it to overseas audiences and perhaps consoles. It looks like a game that doesn't deserve to live in such obscurity.

Oh well - after all is said and done it's still a very "Japanese" game, so not sure it would ever become a surprise hit outside of Japan.But such a beautiful little town, I just love hanging out there.

Oh well - after all is said and done it's still a very "Japanese" game, so not sure it would ever become a surprise hit outside of Japan.But such a beautiful little town, I just love hanging out there.

Agreed. If anything we need more games like this, even if nothing happens, you just soak up the atmosphere.

I'd never heard of the game before clicking this thread, but it looks really cool! Definitely something I'll get round to once the upcoming release schedule is less hectic.

Looks very interesting but it doesn't even have an english translation unfortunately, what a shame.

Keep in mind the English translation is fan made. The Producer (Tatamibeya) helped me a lot and corrected all the pronouns (he, she, it...) since that is usually a guessing game if you see a single sentence without the context (And all sentences come out in a random order from the localization file, which isn't so helpful).

It's difficult to rate your own work. If I have to I'd maybe rate it 5/10. Like 99.9% of the sentences are "understandable", but loads of them would still need rewording to sound more like "Natural English". Some are also a weird translation and some will never be translated properly i fear. There are actually loads of things that just can't be translated. Like a "Chozuya" - which is the place with water for ritual hand washing. Or the Jizo - the 6 stone figures that are usually dressed with red hats or scarfs. I always tried to find a wording that does not leave you like "Errrrr what?" when reading. Some stuff is extremely difficult to translate since the author writes in such a poetric language - very beautiful in Japanese but even much harder to translate. After all is said and done it still needs much work, but in the current state you can at least play the game and understand what the story is about.

Back