Nozomi aweful voice acting.

Yeah it's the worst in the game in terms of old characters. They may have different voices but Nozomi is the only one who's personality has completely changed. Really disappointing.

They did that in the first game in the japanese version as well, they only used their first names in the english dub. The translators didn‘t seem to have known about that or they wanted it to be closer to the original.

It's weird. You'd think Corey Marshall would raise a concern with this when reading the lines. He must have known how awkward it was to reference Nozomi by her last name in English.

Hope she sounds better in Japanese.
She sounds nothing like Nozomi what happened?
Not only voice but personality. Nozomi was quiet and reserved that girl has a completely different voice tone that doesn't fit the game.

Different voice actress, probably didn't know the character...or she was directed to be slightly chirpier for reasons unknown (i mean she was always kind of mopey in the first game...maybe she found someone else and moved on from Baby Boy Ryo and became happier for it. Afterall, finding love brings out happiness.)

I mean she even says in the video she found new friends and is having more fun...so maybe they thought it was character development to have her sound a little more upbeat...like maybe she had moved on from her school girl crush realising there was no future with him (I always assumed that's why she decided to leave for Canada)...but yeah, not quite the sad sack mopey school girl Nozomi I once knew.

But yeah, not a good replacement. Almost borderline valley girl in her line reading. Wonder how the Japanese version fares? (will find out when I get there since I'm playing with the Japanese dub)

EDIT: Watched the whole video. Is it just me or did that whole conversation seem passive aggressive as fuck? LIke when she says "I doubt you're having much fun at all"....it feels like it comes from a jilted lover saying "SEE! Look what you gave up, dumbass! You could have had me and a nice quiet life but NOOOOO! You had to go get revenge! Now I'm having fun and you're not...oh wait, really? That's fun for you?" :D

It's a complete misunderstanding of the character, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't find it amusing :) I mean I get it...it's supposed to show they're going different on roads through life.

Last edited:
Different voice actress, probably didn't know the character...or she was directed to be slightly chirpier for reasons unknown (i mean she was always kind of mopey in the first game...maybe she found someone else and moved on from Baby Boy Ryo and became happier for it. Afterall, finding love brings out happiness.)

I mean she even says in the video she found new friends and is having more fun...so maybe they thought it was character development to have her sound a little more upbeat...like maybe she had moved on from her school girl crush realising there was no future with him (I always assumed that's why she decided to leave for Canada)...but yeah, not quite the sad sack mopey Nozomi I once knew.

But yeah, not a good replacement. Almost borderline valley girl in her line reading. Wonder how the Japanese version fares? (will find out when I get there since I'm playing with the Japanese dub)

EDIT: Watched the whole video. Is it just me or did that whole conversation seem passive aggressive as fuck? LIke when she says "I doubt you're having much fun at all"....it feels like it comes from a jilted lover saying "SEE! Look what you gave up, dumbass! You could have had me and a nice quiet life but NOOOOO! You had to go get revenge!" :D

Is not only voice but completely different "personality"
1) "borderline valley girl" this... what I meant.
2) Not only that she sounded weird when the made fun of Goro.
3) As well sounded with a tone of jealousy when asking deeper who Shenhua was.
Sadly conversation ended too soon! wanted to react how she would if she knew Shenhua was a girl and living together with him.

Is not only voice but completely different "personality"
1) "borderline valley girl" this... what I meant.
2) Not only that she sounded weird when the made fun of Goro.
3) As well sounded with a tone of jealousy when asking deeper who Shenhua was.
Sadly conversation ended too soon! wanted to react how she would if she knew Shenhua was a girl and living together with him.

No, I know. I guess either mis reading of character or they thought they were developing her but went too far with it but it's certainly weird to hear mopey Nozomi suddenly become borderline Valley Girl bimbo.

Amusing though. I laughed...but weirdly inconsistent.

Unless you can find the Japanese version on Youtube, I'll let you know how she sounds when I get there...unless you're playing in Japanese and find out for yourself

The weird thing is now Shenhua sounds more like Nozomi than Nozomi and act like her too...
I remember Shenhua was more playful and less serious in Shenmue II especially when she tried to kiss Ryo and Ryo freaked out.
They should just had Nozomi voice actor do Nozomi as well. The person that did the voice obviously just read a script and never bothered to play the original games or see the original character on youtube was very unprofessional.

The weird thing is now Shenhua sounds more like Nozomi than Nozomi and act like her too...
I remember Shenhua was more playful and less serious in Shenmue II especially when she tried to kiss Ryo and Ryo freaked out.
They should just had Nozomi voice actor do Nozomi as well.

I don't know...I can't speak for the English dub...I'm playing Japanese and I think Shenhua sounds pretty close to her former Japanese actress. It's slightly different but close on that side of things. But I haven't spent any time with the English dub outside of the trial so I can't say how performances are on that side other than what I've heard from casually watching streamers play. And I wasn't impressed with what I saw.

To be honest, I wasn't a big fan of how flat Shenhua sounded in English from all the trailers I saw. But then again, I've never been a big fan of Shenhua's English voice actress as a whole (I'm a Japanese dub type of guy all the way for these games)

Eh, I'll just say it. Not a big fan of the English dub for these games. Only appreciate them in a "so bad they're good" kinda way.

I see, I prefer Japanese dub as well. Makes game sound more authentic.
I am curious how Nozomi sounds in Japanese.

The voice acting is fine, it was more the way she was talking that didn't feel right. She came across as a different person. I don't think somebody's personality would change so much so quickly, it's only been a few months since they last spoke.

I don't like that they use their last names when talking to each other either. They would always just say Ryo and Nozomi in the first game, it makes them sound more like acquaintances rather than childhood friends.

Last edited:
I wish Ryo could call the Abe Store. I want to hear that lovely old lady's voice.

Very strange to hear nozomi in english like that, but nothing beats the english voiceactor of Lan-Di...

He is so terrible.

The english voiceactor he had in S1 was maybe the best english voice i have encounter in the series .

That's not necessarily a terrible voice... but it doesn't seem like they made any attempt to try and match the previous actress. Which certainly squashes any nostalgic feeling.

I didn't even bother with the English voices in Shenmue 3 - just the trailer was enough for me. Besides, I already got used to Japanese Ryo during Shenmue 2 DC (which did take some transition since the American Ryo was the one I first knew).

Back