NYC Comic-Con Shenmue Anime Predictions

well, we‘re at the week off.

I’m expecting first trailer. Depending on how far along it is. If not ready for trailer then at least some preview from it...be it storyboards or something. That and I could see an announcement of English dub cast incoming.

Hell. Maybe if we’re lucky we get a look at the opening theme to show.

I don’t think there will be an exact air date but I could see it being something as vague as 2022 being announced.

but what would be really cool would be a “one more thing…” moment.

BANG! Shenmue IV logo shows up on screen with Yu confirming it too is now in production!

hey, a man can dream :)

I hope they troll us in the trailer by having a close up of the number 4, and then it zooms out to reveal forklift number 4 during a harbour race.

A little sly hint from yu suzuki to let us know indirectly that something is going on.
Shenmue 4...
...new screenshots of the anime

So excited now that we are just a few days out. Getting hard to keep my mind off of it to be honest lol. Not really sure what to expect overall, but have pretty high hopes as the panel is an hour in length.

When we saw it last at the Crunchyroll event, they showed us a bit of a discussion with Yu & Chikara Sakurai about the beginning process of the Anime, and how it came to be. I think the majority of the panel will be taken up with similar content as this is most like what you would see at a comic con event/panel. Now that the project is further along (and I'd assume, near completion), I'd expect to hear a bit about the process of making it, decisions that were made etc.

However, I also think they have to show something this time. It's hard to talk about the behind the scenes decisions without showing something to the audience, as at this point, all we have as a reference is 1 image (which looks awesome though). I think we will get a trailer, followed by a lot of in-depth discussion while they show us a brief look at various pieces of artwork from the Anime, or storyboarding process etc. This way, they can show us stuff from the Anime, without actually spoiling it :)

What I wish for is the following. I'd love them to open with a brief introduction, play a 3-4 minute trailer, have a discussion showing a lot of artwork/behind the scenes, then end it all with a release date and the announcement of a physical bluray version of the Anime :D

Could also throw in a Shenmue IV announcement at that point if they want, I'd take that too ;)...

I'm expecting a teaser trailer with a 2022 release window. More than likely a English cast announcement as well. I'm so stoked for this. I would love to know what Yu has been up to this year and his plans for next year but I doubt we'll find out here.

I wonder if he'll tease us some ideas that he put in the anime because he couldn't put in the game. Maybe we'll get a Shenmue IV mention at some point. So many possibilities what a awesome time this is. Will it be streamed anywhere?

Will it be streamed anywhere?
It's a paid event behind a $20 paywall, in which the panel is being streamed live. The Dojo can't stream that for legal reasons, but will be streaming their reactions live (no sound/video of the panel itself), just James & Matt with their reactions/opinions etc.

If a trailer was shown off, that would be pushed out to all the usual press sites to garner as much attention as possible. The panel is an hour long though, so we should get some decent info from it :)

Ticket & Panel details here:-

Edit:-
Fuck. Looks like they've stopped selling Digital Tickets!!! Was going to get mine tonight. No idea why they've ended selling them early?
I've emailed them to see if there's another way. Will keep thread updated.

Last edited:
It's a paid event behind a $20 paywall, in which the panel is being streamed live. The Dojo can't stream that for legal reasons, but will be streaming their reactions live (no sound/video of the panel itself), just James & Matt with their reactions/opinions etc.

If a trailer was shown off, that would be pushed out to all the usual press sites to garner as much attention as possible. The panel is an hour long though, so we should get some decent info from it :)

Ticket & Panel details here:-

Edit:-
Fuck. Looks like they've stopped selling Digital Tickets!!! Was going to get mine tonight. No idea why they've ended selling them early?
I've emailed them to see if there's another way. Will keep thread updated.
It works!

https://www.newyorkcomiccon.com/en-us/badges.html

Go to the bottom and you should be able to get a digital ticket.

I'm very, very glad to have been proven so very, very wrong about there being no trailer or release date. This looks great. Just hope they don't retcon the cave and sword and mysticism like Shenmue 3 seemed to.

Back