ONE WEEK

I am in count down mode and I will be doing a Shenmue thing until the game is release each day. Today I have watched Shenmue The Movie for the 1st time. 6 to go.
20191112_225248.jpg

Saw someone complain about the fact that pre-loaded/pre-ordered digital Shenmue III doesn't unlock at midnight, but rather 8 in the morning in the US (EDIT: not Europe). He called it indefensible disaster and that you're a "fucking idiot" if you defend it. And that "all of this has been a disaster from the beginning" A bit of an overreaction but...

Well, I don't defend it. It kinda sucks, even. The guy bought the digital deluxe edition just so he could play it on midnight but refunded it when he noticed he had to wait an extra 8 hours.

I do see these things happen quite often with games. This isn't exclusive to Shenmue III. Wish people would understand that this is just how things are with digital gaming. I pre-loaded AI: The Somnium Files for my Switch thinking I could play midnight, but no, I also had to wait until morning. I was like "oh". And that's that. People get upset too easily I feel. People seem extra sensitive to anything minor regarding Shenmue III specifically I have noticed.

I'm thinking that if the game unlocks at 8 in the morning, then why not simply sleep and then play all day whilst rested and refreshed? :unsure:

Last edited:
Saw someone complain about the fact that pre-loaded/pre-ordered digital Shenmue III doesn't unlock at midnight, but rather 8 in the morning in the US. He called it indefensible disaster and that you're a "fucking idiot" if you defend it. And that "all of this has been a disaster from the beginning" A bit of an overreaction but...

Well, I don't defend it. It kinda sucks, even. The guy bought the digital deluxe edition just so he could play it on midnight but refunded it when he noticed he had to wait an extra 8 hours.

I do see these things happen quite often with games. This isn't exclusive to Shenmue III. Wish people would understand that this is just how things are with digital gaming. I pre-loaded AI: The Somnium Files for my Switch thinking I could play midnight, but no, I also had to wait until morning. I was like "oh". And that's that. People get upset too easily I feel. People seem extra sensitive to anything minor regarding Shenmue III specifically I have noticed.

I'm thinking that if the game unlocks at 8 in the morning, then why not simply sleep and then play all day whilst rested and refreshed? :unsure:

Dangit, I've pre-ordered digital precisely to play at midnight. The timer will end bang on midnight as well.

Edit: yeah just checked the timer on my PS4 and it outright says "playable in:" with the countdown to midnight (UK time).

Dangit, I've pre-ordered digital precisely to play at midnight. The timer will end bang on midnight as well.

This just seems to affect the US. Are you from the US? If not, you seem to be good to go at midnight. (Judging from what people have said)

Edit: yeah just checked the timer on my PS4 and it outright says "playable in:" with the countdown to midnight (UK time).

I'm actually wondering whether to go for a digital download (which unlocks at midnight, it seems), or wait until 9am next day to pick-up a physical copy, work 8 hours, then start playing after work... but having two physical copies would look so great.. hm... what a first-world problem this is.

Saw someone complain about the fact that pre-loaded/pre-ordered digital Shenmue III doesn't unlock at midnight, but rather 8 in the morning in the US (EDIT: not Europe). He called it indefensible disaster and that you're a "fucking idiot" if you defend it. And that "all of this has been a disaster from the beginning" A bit of an overreaction but...

Yeah, that's a bit of an overreaction. Not every game unlocks at midnight. Hell - and I know it's a Switch release and this isn't the norm, but - we had to wait until about 7:30pm for the Grandia HD Collection to become available on the Switch eShop.

I'm actually wondering whether to go for a digital download (which unlocks at midnight, it seems), or wait until 9am next day to pick-up a physical copy, work 8 hours, then start playing after work... but having two physical copies would look so great.. hm... what a first-world problem this is.

I have a backer copy on its way and pre-ordered the digital version to make sure no matter what I have S3 at midnight!

Yeah, that's a bit of an overreaction. Not every game unlocks at midnight. Hell - and I know it's a Switch release and this isn't the norm, but - we had to wait until about 7:30pm for the Grandia HD Collection to become available on the Switch eShop.

Exactly. I told him something similar. He claims he has never seen a pre-loaded game NOT unlock at midnight before.

Seems to me like it happens to "smaller" games more often than big ones. And Shenmue is considered an indie so...

Exactly. I told him something similar. He claims he has never seen a pre-loaded game NOT unlock at midnight before.

Seems to me like it happens to "smaller" games more often than big ones. And Shenmue is considered an indie so...
I've legitimately never bought a new game that released at midnight. I think it's because I don't play any big budget stuff like you say.

How dare they increase the length of time I've waited for this game by 0.005%

I expect a full refund.

I think it's way less than that even, haha.

6500-something days x 24 hours = 156700 hours

I guess waiting 156708 hours is just out of the question

They must be on the West Coast USA. It unlocks in my area (Ohio) at 11 a.m. EST.

I'm firmly under the belief that an entire region should be unlocked at the same time, but pick the "first" time zone that hits midnight and use it for the entire region. I mean, for a digital release, is it seriously that hard?

some people are going as far as using vacation days and making a lot of extra preparations to play the game so i could understand being pissed if you had to wait until 8 or possibly even 11 in the morning to get started.

I definitely won't be up for starting an epic journey at 12 midnight so I don't have any real anger about the situation, but I am annoyed that I'm forcibly aligned to the start of the day in some other time zone. Have they not gotten the memo that EST is the center of the universe?

They must be on the West Coast USA. It unlocks in my area (Ohio) at 11 a.m. EST.
Yep. I have the digital version preordered and this is the ONLY game to ever unlock at 11am est. 99.9% of the preloaded games usually unlock at midnight est.

Yep. I have the digital version preordered and this is the ONLY game to ever unlock at 11am est. 99.9% of the preloaded games usually unlock at midnight est.
If I don't receive any of my spare copies early in the mail, I will be able to pick up my Gamestop copy at 9 p.m. Est. I'll be able to play Monday evening at the latest.

I watch the "Spiele mit Bart"-Show (Games with barth) with Simon and Gregor, they are playing through both Shenmue-Games. I have no time to play both again.

If I don't receive any of my spare copies early in the mail, I will be able to pick up my Gamestop copy at 9 p.m. Est. I'll be able to play Monday evening at the latest.
So if "anyone" pre-ordered at gamestop, they could pick up the game on monday 9pm?!?!
Looks like am going to have to make some calls.

On a down note, I dont think my bestbuy preorder went through. Even tho i have a receipt for the game, with the steel book case.
In the past Bestbuy cancelled my preorder. It had something to do with paypal.... i dont want to miss out on that hardcore steel.

Am making some calls tomorrow.

The Paranoia is in full effect.
Double check your shits people.

Back