ONE WEEK

It just struck me that the year Shenmue released was also the last time my team (Nottingham Forest) featured in the Premier League.

It hasn't been a good 20 years.
And that has also struck me with this. I’m a Bristol Rovers supporter, and for the only time in our history we haven’t been competing with Bristol City. As they kindly remind us that we’ve been below them.... for 18 years! Hope this dross run for our football clubs ends soon like the wait for SIII

Very nice bit about fishing there. Looks cool. Nice shots of that bigger town Chobu is it? Has English subtitles if you click.

Last edited:
for the past couple of months i have been asking myself if we got S3 all those years ago would it have been this special or as special with the game coming so soon.

would the series have totally died because of "half assing" the game, or doing a super simple version to finish off the story
because SEGA totally gave up on it. Would the possibility of 4 been totally dead? If S3 released 18... 15 years ago with what I stated above.

I think that the wait, even though it sucked. Has made the release of S3 even more special. From the reactions of E3 to this long 11 day wait. to the night before the release day.

I keep going back and fourth on this mode of thinking. Would the release have been better all those years ago with the possible conclusion of the story....

As a side note I know Yu wouldn't Half ass a game but a budget is a budget. Think if the KS raised just 2 million. It would have been a different game then the one we will have soon enough.
Don't joke like that. 15 years ago on PS2 Shenmue 3 would have been a very popular game. If IT got the same cash Yakuza got, it'd sell more than Yakuza did too. Shenmue 1 sold 1.2 million, Yakuza one sold 500k. It would have just used the existing DC models, and textures.It wouldn't cost much to make either right then, most of the work was done. It would have ruled PS2 adventure games. Shenmue 4 would be on PS3. Some horrible decisions were made by SEGA. I recently heard they had to be shouted at by the fans online non stop to give the IP to Suzuki.

Don't joke like that. 15 years ago on PS2 Shenmue 3 would have been a very popular game. If IT got the same cash Yakuza got, it'd sell more than Yakuza did too. Shenmue 1 sold 1.2 million, Yakuza one sold 500k. It would have just used the existing DC models, and textures.It wouldn't cost much to make either right then, most of the work was done. It would have ruled PS2 adventure games. Shenmue 4 would be on PS3. Some horrible decisions were made by SEGA. I recently heard they had to be shouted at by the fans online non stop to give the IP to Suzuki.

I know the sales numbers and totally get what your saying. Microsoft bought the rights for shenmue 2 and other sega IPs at the time. With IIx sales low, Sega didnt want to put the money into it. So if they did fund S3, it wouldn't be close to the Yakuza budget.
I also view (and am sure some will disagree with me), but Sega was in a wierd transition at that point of time.

But its a land of what if and could be. Thats why I keep going back and forth on it on if the wait for S3 is better today then if it came out years ago. It will never be known
Because of what if.

With it coming out soon. the Graphics are absolutely gorgeous. Keep in mind that I absolutely love the look of 1+2 but am super excited about 3s look.i think That S4 has a better chance of being released now then it did a long time ago.

The biggest thing that all of us Shenmue fans have in common is that we all had the same reaction as the dude in the middle of coward standing up at E3 or any of the other reactions to the announcement of the KS S3.

If it released years ago it would have been big, great news. With the 18 year wait, I think S3 has a more magical feel and Mythos.

I know the sales numbers and totally get what your saying. Microsoft bought the rights for shenmue 2 and other sega IPs at the time. With IIx sales low, Sega didnt want to put the money into it. So if they did fund S3, it wouldn't be close to the Yakuza budget.
I also view (and am sure some will disagree with me), but Sega was in a wierd transition at that point of time.

But its a land of what if and could be. Thats why I keep going back and forth on it on if the wait for S3 is better today then if it came out years ago. It will never be known
Because of what if.

With it coming out soon. the Graphics are absolutely gorgeous. Keep in mind that I absolutely love the look of 1+2 but am super excited about 3s look.i think That S4 has a better chance of being released now then it did a long time ago.

The biggest thing that all of us Shenmue fans have in common is that we all had the same reaction as the dude in the middle of coward standing up at E3 or any of the other reactions to the announcement of the KS S3.

If it released years ago it would have been big, great news. With the 18 year wait, I think S3 has a more magical feel and Mythos.
I'll agree that this version coming now looks decades better than it would have in 2005. On other hand it'd have throws in it, they'd have kept VF engine bit for bit I'm guessing. I think S3's current engine is better, but then there are no throws due to cash. Improved remakes should have come out by now for the entire series, if they understood what they were doing. I'm hoping S3 does well, it can gain a lot of newer fans. The series deserves a proper funding for proper remakes of 1&2, and enhancing 3. Playing the demo cemented it to me. It's better than so many modern games. Instead we have to freaking worry if S4 will even come out. It's crazy. I think in the early 2000s it'd be easier.

Am confident that S4 will be released @Dmitriy1 because like us, people will get the game for what it is.
I totally agree (with you on everything) that the old VF fighting would have been better. In all my years of playing and replying Shenmue is that I never used the throws that much. My biggest hurdle was the inputs to execute them.
If the Heavy-Souls-Detroit-Cage games can do well. So can S3.

As for my last two posts I was speaking Hypothetically.

Oddly enough, I'm really not feeling any hype for S3 right now. The delay in June and the disrespectful way it was communicated to the fans (on the 3rd, with no real apology, no message from Yu, no new footage or anything, just a one-liner message) kind of killed my hype for the game.

It's ironic. After almost 18 years of waiting and hoping, now that S3 is right around the corner, I am feeling anticlimactic.

Anyway, I've just beaten Dou Niu on the rooftop and will finish S2 at some point next week or perhaps even this weekend.

I'm ready and got the week of the 18th booked off work. I guess the hype will kick in once I hold the game in my hands.

You know, maybe it is for the better. If I was hyped for S3 and thinking about it 24/7, I wouldn't have been able to function in my daily life during the last couple of weeks. :p

Last edited:
Honestly I'm not that hyped, but just started playing Shenmue I for "design research".
And honestly I'm getting more hyped.
My biggest fear is that S3 will be too much "game".

Honestly I'm not that hyped, but just started playing Shenmue I for "design research".
And honestly I'm getting more hyped.
My biggest fear is that S3 will be too much "game".
If you played the demo, no. It's not trying to compete with these new ones. It feels like Shenmue which is amazing in 2019. He captured the best parts, and improved on some. It's a shame you didn't play in 2000, but enjoy it now. Keep in mind it was mindblowing those 2 when they came out.

Oddly enough, I'm really not feeling any hype for S3 right now. The delay in June and the disrespectful way it was communicated to the fans (on the 3rd, with no real apology, no message from Yu, no new footage or anything, just a one-liner message) kind of killed my hype for the game.

It's ironic. After almost 18 years of waiting and hoping, now that S3 is right around the corner, I am feeling anticlimactic.

Anyway, I've just beaten Dou Niu on the rooftop and will finish S2 at some point next week or perhaps even this weekend.

I'm ready and got the week of the 18th booked off work. I guess the hype will kick in once I hold the game in my hands.

You know, maybe it is for the better. If I was hyped for S3 and thinking about it 24/7, I wouldn't have been able to function in my daily life during the last couple of weeks. :p

This always happens to me when I anticipate something and it gets really close to that event. The only rationale I can make of it is maybe the future seems promising and exciting but when you’re so close to an event the imminence makes it feel like the present, so commonplace. I heard a quote one time that went something like “The past is romanticized, the future is promising but the present is commonplace.”

I’m super hyped for Shenmue 3 but I’m already prepping myself for a slump a few days before release. So it’s funny you bring that up.

Back