Origin of Martial Hall music from Shenmue III?

Favourite title
Shenmue II
Currently playing
Remember Me (PC)
Steam
amirmoosavi
@Rakim posted an old behind-the-scenes of the first Shenmue in Random Shenmue Thoughts, and I noticed that from 1:13 to 1:25 you can hear the Martial Hall fighting theme from Shenmue III:

I've never heard the music in any other context, has anyone else? I'm pretty sure now that all the music in Shenmue III is re-used/un-used tracks, especially seeing as there is no one credited for music in the final game. Wonder where that awesome Temple of the Blooming Flower music was originally going to be used...

Yu always stated that Shenmue III was going to use un-used tracks exclusively. If not, it was clearly implicit.

What we didn't expect is the use of so many used tracks while Suzuki kept repeating 80% of the produced music was unused.

Nice find though.

I think that during the original games creation it was said that music was composed before the game itself, somehow like Sergio Leone did back in his day with Morricone, compose the tracks then we adapt the shots to it. So probably it still more unused tracks there. Great find.

More Martial Hall music in the Shenmue Online BGM:

Wonder if Shenmue Online BGM was just Shenmue I & II leftovers as well.

EDIT: Song at 1:27:27 is in Shenmue III as well (was also used in the E3 2019 trailer).

EDIT 2: Song at 2:15:10 is nighttime music in III (think it was Bailu?).

Last edited:
I linked to this in the data mine thread, but since it doesn't really spoil any plot stuff:

Yes, almost of the music except for Panda heaven and maybe some mini-games is reused. All in-game music for the main areas (Bailu, Chobu, Common) is using the same 0000_000 numbering system as Shenmue 2. This doesn't explicitly confirm that it all came from archives, but Shenmue 2 had tracks from 0001_### all the way to 0036_### which a bunch of sub-numbers skipped. (Well, there was a 9999 track too) Shenmue 3 fills in a bunch of holes in the numbering and it would be weird for them to suddenly compose new tracks inside of existing numbers.

All tracks that also existed in Shenmue 2 have the same numbers as that game.

I hope this isn't too off-topic, but I'm fine with 3 using fewer new tracks (esp. if we're getting a 4). I'm more interested in how the reused tracks are implemented (I'd be fine with the darts music for lucky hit, but certainly not a rural Chinese shop). Alas, I'm sure he's still got a goodly amount of tracks stored up; many from Shenmue Online went unused.

Gimme that New Paradise day any day, though: that could be the sole song in S4 and I'd back it with thousands.

A correctton, the music near the New Paradise (day) is an alternative version of loop 6 (from Shenmue 2 jukebox), not the same version.
The exact same file name is used in Shenmue 2 for the same song. While it may sound different, the point is to document what the track was previously used as. In the case with it being the exact same filename, any differences were probably introduced in the process of modifying the song to sequenced music for the DC.
There are several other songs that are the same song but different, like "Chasing the Heavens". Nothing needs to be corrected, it's just for the purpose of identifying previously used songs.

Back