Patch 7 for PC - Release Notes

Yeah I have this problem. I just reported this to Sega directly just now. I just find it a bit annoying. Turning off Bloom and upping the contrast a bit does help, but then everything is too bright in other spaces. Night time doesn't seem to have this brightness issue to me for some reason. It is like there are dark shadows patches in places during the day time that causes this.

Update: Sega had asked me to provide them pics of the problem so this is what I uploaded to them for those who don't know what we are talking about. It is a daytime issue of some sort that could be related to how shadows are rendered. Could be related to the sun I guess. At night or when it rains, it doesn't seem to be an issue I think.

View attachment 1194View attachment 1195View attachment 1196View attachment 1197View attachment 1198View attachment 1199
The "shadow patches" during the day that you mention are actually an intended effect. It's the stencil shadows from the Xbox version of Shenmue II. The buildings are casting shadows on the ground when it's light out. The problem is that this version of the game is just too dark, way darker than the original Xbox version, and D3T for some reason refuses to add a simple brightness or gamma slider to the options.

Sheesh I never knew that because pretty much it is trying to simulate shade.. I guess the overall darkness in the game made it look worse. Well it was worth reporting because something may come out of it in the next beta patch, but who knows?

I just remembered that someone reported this a few weeks back, but I'm not sure if it was in the bugs thread.

Sheesh I never knew that because pretty much it is trying to simulate shade.. I guess the overall darkness in the game made it look worse. Well it was worth reporting because something may come out of it in the next beta patch, but who knows?

I just remembered that someone reported this a few weeks back, but I'm not sure if it was in the bugs thread.
Oh, it's definitely been reported and discussed plenty. Shenmue I has severely crushed blacks in the Old Warehouse District while you're trying to sneak into Warehouse #8 and Shenmue II is just too dark all over the place (probably having a lot to do with all of the aforementioned environmental shadows, making it a darker overall game to begin with).

EDIT: You can watch this for a better explanation about the stencil shadows that were added to the original Xbox version of the game:

Last edited:
Thanks. Well I guess I learnt something new today, but the PC version does have improved brightness at least due to the new patches. I know this since I did play through Warehouse 8 and it was more visible as in it wasn't pitch black. Still was darker than normal though. As you said, a brightness adjuster would fix this. Contrast can only do so much to a point or else you'll wash everything out, but yeah, that is it.

Thanks. Well I guess I learnt something new today, but the PC version does have improved brightness at least due to the new patches. I know this since I did play through Warehouse 8 and it was more visible as in it wasn't pitch black. Still was darker than normal though. As you said, a brightness adjuster would fix this. Contrast can only do so much to a point or else you'll wash everything out, but yeah, that is it.
Well, it's good to hear that the new patch has at least improved the situation somewhat. I really don't know why they won't just add a brightness adjustment option though.

Had a clipping issue with Ryos jacket upon loading a save on v3. However i made a new save and now loading that save it fixed itself. Weird.

Not really a steam user so perhaps a dumb question but once you are on the beta program do all the patches happen automatically? I did the first one and selected beta but couldn't really figure out how to do the second? Also couldn't figure out how to find the version number on steam.

Not really a steam user so perhaps a dumb question but once you are on the beta program do all the patches happen automatically? I did the first one and selected beta but couldn't really figure out how to do the second? Also couldn't figure out how to find the version number on steam.
I think you have to unsubscribe to the beta and then it'll download the current stable patch automatically.

I've activated the beta and the patches have auto-downloaded upon starting Steam. You might not notice because the downloads are so small.

So, after downloading the beta for v3, Shenmue 2 will CTD on launch a bunch. It works maybe 1 out of 10 times. Shenmue 1 has no issues. I opted out of beta and it fixed it.

I noticed that the stickied bug reporting thread on the Steam forums is gone. Going to assume that they removed it so that they can open a new one to gather more reports for patch 4, though it's strange that they'd delete the old one and not immediately replace it. I really hope d3t's not done patching the game.

I noticed that the stickied bug reporting thread on the Steam forums is gone. Going to assume that they removed it so that they can open a new one to gather more reports for patch 4, though it's strange that they'd delete the old one and not immediately replace it. I really hope d3t's not done patching the game.

They explained that further bug reports should be done in the "patch 3 is now live" thread. Its the only now sticked right now.

Oh I see now. The old bug reporting thread actually still exists it's just not stickied anymore. I got confused since they originally used the separate bug reporting thread alongside threads for each new patch. I should have read the patch 3 thread more closely.

Last edited:
Is there a way to stretch the new UI? I have upped the resolution to 3840x2160 on the options screen, but the UI stays centred. What's the point, or am I missing something.

20180918_173021.jpg

Is there a way to stretch the new UI? I have upped the resolution to 3840x2160 on the options screen, but the UI stays centred. What's the point, or am I missing something.

I'm surprised that it's even displaying the option for 2160p considering SEGA said themselves that the game wouldn't have any 4k support.

Have you got any Windows desktop scaling turned on (I think it's enabled by default at 4k resolutions)? That could potentially be causing the problems with the UI.

How is the music in shenmue 2 patch 3? My Japanese ps4 is having trouble with shenmue 2 and I’m opting to buy the steam ver, I just want to know if the third patch fixed most of the music like on console? Cheers

How is the music in shenmue 2 patch 3? My Japanese ps4 is having trouble with shenmue 2 and I’m opting to buy the steam ver, I just want to know if the third patch fixed most of the music like on console? Cheers
It was the second patch on PC that fixed up a lot of the music. Sounds like the latest PS4 patch matched the fixes of the PC version.

Back