Patch 7 for PC - Release Notes

Almost another two weeks until the consoles get a patch? Oh man, I want to start playing Shenmue II on Xbox One but want some of the fixes first. Guess there's no point in waiting any longer.

I guess they really want to iron out as much as possible with this patch, so they don't have to distribute so many. I dearly hope that they don't just plan to make this the ONLY patch for consoles ever.
Regardless, this is not really a very pleaseant strategy for anyone. We are going from a day 1 patch to almost a month 1 patch and I feel especially sorry for those who only have the PS4 version.

At least we have a concrete date this time. I plan on replaying Shenmue 1 in Japanese because it was so stable for me the first time around.

Almost another two weeks until the consoles get a patch? Oh man, I want to start playing Shenmue II on Xbox One but want some of the fixes first. Guess there's no point in waiting any longer.

I guess they really want to iron out as much as possible with this patch, so they don't have to distribute so many. I dearly hope that they don't just plan to make this the ONLY patch for consoles ever.
Regardless, this is not really a very pleaseant strategy for anyone. We are going from a day 1 patch to almost a month 1 patch and I feel especially sorry for those who only have the PS4 version.

But there is a good reason to wait. Playing the butchered Shenmue 2 right now would be a mistake considering how a massive patch is due in a couple of weeks. It's just that it freakin' sucks to wait that long, especially when we thought the console patch would drop tomorrow.

The whole thing sucks really, but unless you want to suffer through Shenmue 2, chances are you'd be better off waiting.
As someone else said in another thread, we're most likely guaranteed patches at least until the Japanese release, so it's not exactly hopeless.

Personally, I've decided to just wait as long as it takes them to properly finish these games before I play any of them. It's been 10+ years since I last visited Shenmue, so I refuse to let any of this bullshit ruin my experience.

Don't worry, I'll replay it patched a ton of times anyway down the road. Maybe I'll just make the playthrough not as thorough now.

Seems like more of an optimisation patch than a bugfix patch this time, which isn't a bad thing.

I am curious as to what "Fix for various instances of localisation issues" means though.

People in Steam discussion group are claiming their CPU utilisation is way down with the latest patch. So seems like a good optimisation patch for those with lower end CPUs. .. but I'd really like them to get around to fixing the bloody music in Shenmue 2... It's starting to drive me a little loopy

I personally never had an issue with high CPU load, even though my 2600k is getting very old now.
This patch did cut back on the usage for sure though. Shenmue only sips about 20% with the CPU in energy saving mode, that is only 1600 Mhz clock speed no matter what.

Still only minor work on some of the deeper PC mechanics and yet still no improvement with the framerate and tearing.

If anyone gets to try it before me, can someone check the music in Shenmue 2 to see if it fixes anything.... I know it's not in the patch notes but...
I don't think they improved the music with this patch. Queen St still sounds washed out and weak, with too much reverb and not enough distinction between each instrument.

I don't think they improved the music with this patch. Queen St still sounds washed out and weak, with too much reverb and not enough distinction between each instrument.

It is more noticeable in regards to the music issue in Da Yuan apartments. Something is off with the beat. It is also noticeable to an extent with workers pier at night at queens street by day. I noticed Carmain Qr sounds just slightly off as it sounds like its missing some of the bass and accompanying beats.

It is more noticeable in regards to the music issue in Da Yuan apartments. Something is off with the beat. It is also noticeable to an extent with workers pier at night at queens street by day. I noticed Carmain Qr sounds just slightly off as it sounds like its missing some of the bass and accompanying beats.

stand outside the tomato convenience store in the Golden Quarter and weep... its offensive.

stand outside the tomato convenience store in the Golden Quarter and weep... its offensive.

Weird. That’s the only time the music is off for me. It’s not the music itself though, it’s just distorted as hell.

Does Shenmue 2 still look dark on pc? I'm playing on console but someone else here plays on pc and didn't see an improvement. When leaving the inventory it quickly looks brighter but returns to the darker look within a second or something.

Yeah I have this problem. I just reported this to Sega directly just now. I just find it a bit annoying. Turning off Bloom and upping the contrast a bit does help, but then everything is too bright in other spaces. Night time doesn't seem to have this brightness issue to me for some reason. It is like there are dark shadows patches in places during the day time that causes this.

Update: Sega had asked me to provide them pics of the problem so this is what I uploaded to them for those who don't know what we are talking about. It is a daytime issue of some sort that could be related to how shadows are rendered. Could be related to the sun I guess. At night or when it rains, it doesn't seem to be an issue I think.

7.JPEG8.JPEG9.JPEG10.JPEG11.JPEG12.JPEG

Last edited:
Back