PC Advice (Think I need a new Graphics Card)

Hi,
I recently got a new PC, which I have jsut set up - I say new but it is a refurbished model with:
Processor - intel Core 15-3470 CPU @ 3.GHz
RAM: 8GB

But my Video Card is still the same as my old one:
AMD Radeon hd 5450
(Embarrassed to admit I thought this device was just to use a HDMI port...)

So I gather it is quite weak in the realm of gaming, I don't really game much on my PC anyway but I want a Video Card that can handle HD videos better too. I do want to run the Steam Version of Shenmue HD to its fullest capability (1080p not 4k, but I intend to use Widescreen Mods made by people here :)) if I were to upgrade so the minimum specs of that might be a refference point:

Minimum:
Processor: Intel i3-560 / AMD FX-4300
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti (1GB Vram) / AMD Radeon 6990
DirectX: Version 11
Storage: 30 GB available space

Any advise would be appreciated, I'm in t he UK so if you have any purchase links keep that in mind

An Nvidia GTX 1050ti may be a good shout. It's not massively powerful, but it's decent value for money and should run Shenmue 1 & 2 just fine (plus other more recent games on med-low settings) as well as handle HD video with no problems.

Yeah, different companies manufacture their own versions of the cards, but they're all based on Nvidia's technology and (for the most part) identical under the hood. It shouldn't really matter too much which one you pick.

Oh, also it may be worth checking to see what PCI-E power connectors your powersupply has available before making a purchase. Some cards may need a single 6-pin connector plugged in to the top of them and depending on your PC, that may or may not be available. Have a look inside your case for a connector that looks something like this:
0XXJuyA.jpg
Don't worry if you can't see one, not every card needs it. But just something to keep in mind if/when you make a purchase.

Back