PC Version Supports Nvidia Ansel - Incredible Screenshots await!

Hey all,

I have been recording parts of my first play through of Shenmue 3 (on PC) with Nvidia Shadowplay just so keep for the future etc. I've seen the Ansel pop-up appear a few times while playing (after taking some normal screenshots), but didn't realise that Shenmue 3 actually supports ansel!

In short Ansel allows you to do a few things (take 3D screenshots, Full 360 surround images etc), but it also allows you to take Super High Resolution Images. You can take anywhere from 2k images all the way up to something silly like 32k lol I just tested it out and made 1 screenshot that was 571mb with a resolution of 38,400 x 21600. What is even more awesome, is that you can detach the camera from the player, and move it where ever you want, change the FOV, add filters, adjust the colour and everything. It really will allow for some amazing looking high quality images.

Obviously, I can't upload a ~600mb image here (and it was a test, so it's pretty crap), but here is a quick screenshot (you can zoom into this image so much and the textures are just as crisp as if you were standing right next to it in game).

Here's an example. The first images is the 32k one, and second and third are me just zooming in, in the windows image preview. Image 4 is just an example of detracting the camera in the village square!

Ansel1.png

Ansel2.png

Ansel3.png

Ansel4.png

I'm not a very artistic person, and am terrible at taking pictures, but this is extremely exciting, as those who are, will be able to create some incredible shorts!!

Cool, I'll have to check this out! Is it possible to do a 3D 360 image for viewing in VR?

That’s exciting I was disappointed to see there wasn’t a photo mode with this game as some of the landscapes and scenes deserve it.
I thought for sure they would implement that based on the first-person view. Perhaps it was a canceled feature.

Yep! That's one of the options in Ansel. I haven't tried it out yet though!

I have tried making stereo 360 captures with Ansel and watching them with a VR headset and can confirm it works wonderfully! I used the free version of Whirligig (http://www.whirligig.xyz/new-page-3) to view them and it worked out of the box.

I'm still in the middle of the game (ending Bailu right now) and I'm making a collection of scenes on the way.

Last edited:
1080p+Boost on PS4 Pro with share-capture are pretty damn amazing, too.

Someone please get one of the Hua Xiao Temple in Niaowu...that place is gorgeous!

S**t off! That is so so fine. Maybe one day... I can but dream. Do we know if gameplay is smoother? Loading faster etc?

S**t off! That is so so fine. Maybe one day... I can but dream. Do we know if gameplay is smoother? Loading faster etc?
On PC? Yes to both. The base PS4 version is around 30 fps, with the pro at ~45ish fps. On PC, the framerate is uncapped, so will go as high as your spec allows. Depends where it is, but mine runs around 110 fps on average. The same applies to loading times. If you have an SSD, Nvme drive etc, it will be much faster than the PS4.

110 FPS?!?!?!?

Does that even exist? lol How would that look?
Honestly. it's kinda hard to explain how it looks. Just super smooth really and it looks amazing if your monitor can display it. I had a 60hz monitor until a few years ago where I jumped up to a 180hz monitor and I'll never go back (180hz is a bit over the top, but I won't go below 144hz). Having something look so smooth and be so responsive is great in the competitive games that I play and I was surprised to see that Shenmue III runs as well as it does!
Depending on the game, I'd rather play at 1080p @ 144+hz than play at 4k 30hz any day (Shenmue III is an exception where I'd rather play at 4k though lol). It's a shame that a lot of PS4 Pro enhanced titles don't allow for the option to go for a higher frame rate at 1080p instead of using the extra gpu power to push the resolution.

Last edited:
The file sizes are too large to post here as an image, but if you want some samples of 360 stereoscopic captures, I've uploaded them to this URL:

https://mega.nz/#F!EEdAyC6I!NUppwk31Kgast1wNeZfiZw

You will need an VR helmet and an app like Virtual Desktop or Whirligig to watch them (maybe there exists some visor for the desktop that I don't know about).

It's really magical to sit down in Shenhua's house in one of the floor mats and witness her nightly conversations with Ryo. Or stand under the Shenmue tree. I would love to be able to get the same screenshots for I & II.

Back