Playing music

Along with videogames, playing music is my hobby (and has in fact been my main hobby for a few years). I was "forced" on to the cello at 9 with a very harsh teacher, which made me hate it and drop it at 17. At 13 I picked up the guitar and it has been a constant companion since. I've tried to dabble in all sorts of music, played a lot of punk in my teens, later a little jazz in my early 20s and later got into acoustic music (particularly as I could play by myself and wouldn't need a band). First the "american primitive" stylings of John Fahey and the like (Peter Lang is another favourite), and later fingerstyle and classical (I love baroque music, especially, and I can thankfully read sheet music).
Electronic music is pretty fun to make too, and I especially enjoy the "noise" and experimental music philosophy, as a sort of the "new punk" thing (good or bad, everyone can do it).

At 32 I feel like I wasted an opportunity not having gone on to become a pro, but it's the sort of thing that's hard to decide as a child/teenager. These days, playing in an orchestra or in a late show band would probably be my dream job.

I also have a load of gear, which has become a bit of a problem due to space constraints (I forgot I picked up the piano a few summers ago, but haven't played it anymore because I don't have a good space to leave it set up).

Any other hobbyist musicians out there? (Or pros of course!)

I have played bass for a number of years.

Gigged in a couple of bands as well for a number of years. One was a female fronted punk rock band (we did alright as well lol) and the other was a more hard rock band.

Enjoyed both but haven't played in such a long time. I miss doing gigs

I played piano in a rhythm and blues band when I was younger.

Occasionally if I need a desperate boost in income I'll find somewhere that wants live piano and offer my services.

Back