Playing without the patch

Is it okay to start playing without the patch as you download it in the background because for me it will take several hours.

What major difference will it make to the experience playing the first few 6 hours or so without it? I know that they made adjustments to the battle system but what else would be worse in it's unpatched release state?

Last edited:
If you're on PS4 and have a physical copy, just disconnect it from the Internet and it should play as is.

If you're on PS4 and have a physical copy, just disconnect it from the Internet and it should play as is.
I think it'll let me play Shenmue 3 while I download the patch in the background if I select "start application without update" don't get me wrong I do want the patch its just going to take long for me, I'm not gonna have time to play until the next week if I just wait for the patch to finish.

You got a mate or family member close by with better Internet @stillsense? When our kid has to download a game for the Xbox he brings it round mine (max speeds of 1MB/s for a 60GB game is like fighting a dragon with an air guitar)

I know it's not the best solution, but if there are essential changes with this update, I'd defo recommend going out of your way to bring it up to date before playing. Then again I'm the kinda guy who refuses to start a game til I have all the DLC.

Wait the six hours and enjoy the game. Its a no brainer, really 😁

Maybe there is a very very good reason why the game is patched.. If the game starting to glitch and breaks after 6 hours then that will 6 sour hours to repeat when you try to have a consistanse story:)

But thats just my 0.20 NOK

My guess is that the patch will improve performance or possibly visuals to some extent. Not greatly like 1080p 60fps on PC, but enough that it'll be a steady locked 30.

Don't understimate this thing guys.
Playing the base 1.00 game should be mandatory to see if the disc we will have in hand is a complete game, or another Shenmue 1&2 affair...

Was debating whether it is worth switching on my PS4 when I leave for work tomorrow so that the patch is downloaded when I get back. Any idea how large the patch is?

Don't understimate this thing guys.
Playing the base 1.00 game should be mandatory to see if the disc we will have in hand is a complete game, or another Shenmue 1&2 affair...
Taking in account htat 1.02 is fully playable and no big issues has surfaced I really doubt that there is the same case at all.

Was debating whether it is worth switching on my PS4 when I leave for work tomorrow so that the patch is downloaded when I get back. Any idea how large the patch is?
Actually I might consider doing something like this.

The patch is 14gb btw

In the same boat here. Unless I start the game tomorrow without the update, then I won't be playing it until Wednesday. Yay for 1mb connections! : (

I'm gonna bite the bullet and play it while the patch downloads in the background

Actually I might consider doing something like this.

The patch is 14gb btw
After doing a little research yesterday, I discovered that:
A. The PSN preinstall already includes V1.02, which I believe to be the latest version.
B. Putting the PS4 into rest mode allows updates to be downloaded in the background without the need to leave the PS4 powered on.

I did it until it was downloaded, the only thing I noticed "wrong" was that the zoom to open/pick stuff was less responsive than in the patched version

I did it until it was downloaded, the only thing I noticed "wrong" was that the zoom to open/pick stuff was less responsive than in the patched version

I see :)
So you haven't noticed other things like changes in frame rate, graphics or something else?

I see :)
So you haven't noticed other things like changes in frame rate, graphics or something else?
I hadn't play that much to notice, but nothing really significant in plain sight referring to performance. Also I am playing in a base PS4

Back