Polygon: The Voice of Shenmue reflects on 20 years of Ryo Hazuki

The stand-out quote (which you also picked out on ERA, great minds think alike hahaha):

Polygon: I don’t know what you can say, but where are you in the process on Shenmue 3?

CM: Yeah. Um, well, that’s a good question. We are — I think probably most people know, because I’m not too quiet about it, that for sure we are recording right now. Yeah, I can’t tell you [more than that].

Let me put it this way — Yu Suzuki did mention himself that the [game’s scope is very large] this time. It’s not a budget, cut down version of Shenmue. Which I think is great. We have a lot of characters, and we have a lot of really great people. Really great people, who also I can’t mention because we haven’t really gotten permission to really talk about that yet. But we have some really great people working on this project. I mean, people who have been in the business forever, people that you will recognize that are voices, and people that work on other games, animation, films. You know, that’s one thing that I’m really excited about is that we have got all kinds of people. I mean, people who do — like I said — a little bit of everything, right? I mean, people that you hear on Netflix, people that you hear on the movies, that kind of stuff.

Let me just say we are deep in it.

Yes, I noticed that quote as well. I think it clearly states that there are going to be lots of voiced characters. Can we definitively say that every NPC is fully voiced? Not yet... but this certainly seems to lean strongly in that direction.

Edit: It's also good to see some positive coverage from Polygon, after the hatchet jobs by Ben Kuchera that they ran a couple of years ago.

Edit: It's also good to see some positive coverage from Polygon, after the hatchet jobs by Ben Kuchera that they ran a couple of years ago.

I'd be interested to read it, but to get past their cookie permission screen I'm forced to accept their tracking cookies. Unlike other sites which give you methods (of varying complexity) to opt out through their interface, Polygon basically says "Well you're perfectly capable of clearing your browser of cookies you don't want, snowflake. Take it or leave it."

I'm not adamant about declining cookies but the obnoxious route they've taken to be as unhelpful as legally possible, in the hope that people will just wearily submit, turns me away on principle, and their cynically wilful underhandedness in this area is entirely consistent with the clickbait journalism for which we know them best.

Anyway, don't want to derail the thread, just venting. :coffee:

Back