Ports / HD Remasters -- What do you want to see?

I had a brain cramp and was like, wait, am I totally misremembering the name? Forgot it was Memories everywhere but in the US. :ROFLMAO:

It really is strange how vibes can unite games. I feel silly sometimes trying to explain to people how Shadow of De-er, Memories and Deadly Premonition feel like Shenmue. "Okay, so these two are supernatural semi-comedic stories, one about time travel, another about zombies, and Shenmue is this grounded, real-world martial arts epic, but really, try one if you liked the other!"

I can't think of many cases where I'd do such wildly opposing cross-genre recommendations like that with books or movies and have it still be an accurate comparison!
I hear you and Im with you there. Artworks, being a movie/game/whatever have a soul besides all the elements that forms the final piece. And that soul is made of what has been important even definitory in the author's life (whole life or at the moment of creative process). To my understanding, Twin Peaks was a hit in Japan among many countries specially for the captivating enviroment, weird storytelling, soundtrack and above all the rich, complex while silly at times big casting.
Lets not dismiss the unique classic Sega vibes. I bet most of us here could blind guess a game made by this gang and thats because it shares common grounds or a seal.
Similar with childish and lazy made games, almost for sure its a work of Nintendo 🔥 (Grrr, Miyamoto where are you, cmon show your face)
Shenmue had such exhaustive stage of documentation in development that its lots of things apart of martial arts and adventure: a pond, a karaoke bar, the rain, the log lady in Dobuita...
If you feel silly explaining the undeniable Twin Peaks influence just picture me trying to made a comparison of the saga with the awesome triptic by Jheronimus Bosch, The Garden of Earthly Delights 😅 It really is!

I should refrain of "correcting" titles translations, as the people in charge of it here in Spain are basically deranged. Some succesful achievements like Die Hard being rebaptized to "Cristal Jungle" or The Searchers = Centauros del Desierto... But then lots of disasters like:
- Scorcese 's After Hours, "Jo, Qué Noche" (Woah, what a night!) damned cocaine addicts.
- Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, thats so long and pretentious... Better "Olvídate de Mí" (Forget about Me) and audiences expected yet another Jim Carrey standard comedy.
Thankfully they havent touched videogames titles, I shake thinking Shenmue being retitled here. Probably "Karate to Death in Asia" or similar.
Excuse the chaotic writting, I mean more than usual. I still haven't my coffee. I only have time for coffee.
Oh, what do you think about Sam & Max? To me is totally Twin Peaks. Sam is Dale and Max is Gordon 😊 I hope someone with the skills made a short scene redub of that.

Not sure if any of you have heard, but Rockstar confirmed a port of the first Red Dead Redemption is coming to PS4 and Switch only. No PC, Xbox or PS5. They've confirmed there are no quality of life improvements of any kind and that multiplayer was removed. The one good thing done is the addition of the game's Undead Nightmare DLC.

So for a 13 year old game with the added DLC, no improvements and no multiplayer, they're charging nearly full price... $50.

The package should be no more than $30 for what's offered. If I buy it, it'll be used and in a bargain bin somewhere.

Not sure if any of you have heard, but Rockstar confirmed a port of the first Red Dead Redemption is coming to PS4 and Switch only. No PC, Xbox or PS5. They've confirmed there are no quality of life improvements of any kind and that multiplayer was removed. The one good thing done is the addition of the game's Undead Nightmare DLC.

So for a 13 year old game with the added DLC, no improvements and no multiplayer, they're charging nearly full price... $50.

The package should be no more than $30 for what's offered. If I buy it, it'll be used and in a bargain bin somewhere.

I was hoping for a nice remake like many others, but oh well
Until then, the secret is to buy the Xbox 360 version when it goes on sale and enjoy it via Xbox backwards compat.
It's got a nice 4K patch and shouldn't cost anywhere near $50 (which is just offensive).

Finally worth mentioning... Limited Run Games has announced a 30th anniversary collection of Jurassic Park games. Initially, they stated it would only have the Nintendo games -- NES, SNES and Game Boy. While a hint of fun is there, the collection wasn't worth the admission price of $35 for a Sega kid. Now apparently, they've added the two Genesis games based on the first movie -- Jurassic Park and Jurassic Park Rampage Edition.

The price has gone up to $40, but with the inclusion of those two games, I'd call it a win. The only downside now is that the collection is still missing the Game Gear/Master System, Sega CD and 3DO games. That would have been a complete collection for the first movie. I'm curious if they will add those down the line before release to insentivise others into ordering a copy?

Next, I wonder if they have plans in a few years to give JP: Lost World the same treatment. I believe there were a handful of games, not only spanning 8 and 16 bit Sega systems, but also Nintendo and PS1/Saturn. The PS1 game would be the reason to buy this collection as you could play not only as a human, but as a compy, raptor and even T-Rex. I won't hold my breath as these should have all been added into the one collection given how old they are, but I understand the problems with getting the licensing to do these compilations.

Next up, the first three Tomb Raider games from the PS1 are now in developement as remasters for current and last gen systems.

https://blog.playstation.com/2023/09/14/tomb-raider-i-iii-remastered-launches-feb-14-on-ps4-ps5/

The graphics are being slightly upgraded. They look essentially like PS2 era now and of course, HD. The nice part is that they've added in expansions for the three games.

The odd part, is that this isn't the collection many fans expected. Specifically, it's missing the 4th and 5th games that were also on the PS1. Now, the 4th was good, and the 5th was pretty bad. That begs the question... are other remaster sets planned? As it stands, they could do the following:

Second Remaster Trilogy: Remainder of Core developed games.
- TR Last Revelation (good game)
- TR Chronicles (mediocre to bad game)
- TR Angel of Darkness (Glitchy as hell)

Third Remaster Trilogy: Crystal Dynamics originals.
- TR Legends (good game)
- TR Anniversary (good game)
- TR Underworld (good game)

I'm wondering if they leave the rest of the Core games in the dirt and move on to the Crystal Dynamics set? :hmm:

I hear you and Im with you there. Artworks, being a movie/game/whatever have a soul besides all the elements that forms the final piece. And that soul is made of what has been important even definitory in the author's life (whole life or at the moment of creative process). To my understanding, Twin Peaks was a hit in Japan among many countries specially for the captivating enviroment, weird storytelling, soundtrack and above all the rich, complex while silly at times big casting.
Lets not dismiss the unique classic Sega vibes. I bet most of us here could blind guess a game made by this gang and thats because it shares common grounds or a seal.
Similar with childish and lazy made games, almost for sure its a work of Nintendo 🔥 (Grrr, Miyamoto where are you, cmon show your face)
Shenmue had such exhaustive stage of documentation in development that its lots of things apart of martial arts and adventure: a pond, a karaoke bar, the rain, the log lady in Dobuita...
If you feel silly explaining the undeniable Twin Peaks influence just picture me trying to made a comparison of the saga with the awesome triptic by Jheronimus Bosch, The Garden of Earthly Delights 😅 It really is!

I should refrain of "correcting" titles translations, as the people in charge of it here in Spain are basically deranged. Some succesful achievements like Die Hard being rebaptized to "Cristal Jungle" or The Searchers = Centauros del Desierto... But then lots of disasters like:
- Scorcese 's After Hours, "Jo, Qué Noche" (Woah, what a night!) damned cocaine addicts.
- Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, thats so long and pretentious... Better "Olvídate de Mí" (Forget about Me) and audiences expected yet another Jim Carrey standard comedy.
Thankfully they havent touched videogames titles, I shake thinking Shenmue being retitled here. Probably "Karate to Death in Asia" or similar.
Excuse the chaotic writting, I mean more than usual. I still haven't my coffee. I only have time for coffee.
Oh, what do you think about Sam & Max? To me is totally Twin Peaks. Sam is Dale and Max is Gordon 😊 I hope someone with the skills made a short scene redub of that.
Oh shoot, I'm sorry! I totally missed this response.

Yep, I think that "soul" can be an incredibly unifying feature. Some games just have a vibe that's hard to describe but often connects them with other games.

Sega definitely had a feel, especially in the late 90s/early 00s. Some games by others get close to it. Lifeline sticks in my head as something that coulda been on the Dreamcast, maybe something to play when you got tired of Seaman.

It's always interesting to hear about the names in different places! Sometimes they're pretty inventive.

I have yet to play Sam & Max but I've only heard good things! My backlog is painfully huge, but I really should get to it someday!

Well they seem like they may be more remakes than remasters but the Another Code collection has been announced for early next year which I’m excited for. Hoping maybe if it sells well they can give the same treatment to Hotel Dusk and it’s sequel.

Then there’s Paper Mario 2, kind of a surprise after SMRPG is already being made. Closer to a remaster I’d think but the more faithful it is, the better. The game has held up well so it’s only even more surprising how clean all the assets look now.

After the success of the Metroid Prime remake I’m left wondering whether the other two titles will just be straight ports or not. I’d imagine Retro mostly still wants to get 4 ready and rumors were saying if 2 and 3 did come, it wouldn’t be as much of an upgrade, but I’m thinking maybe plans have changed. Would love to see 2 at least get overhauled with it being my favorite of the trilogy.

Back