Possible Shenmue Reference in The Expanse (TV Show)

Kiba

is a platonic form
Favourite title
Shenmue III
Currently playing
Shenmue III
Steam
softmuseum
I'm posting this in Off Topic till I get confirmation that this happened, but I was just binging The Expanse because it's easily in the top 3 best sci-fi shows I've ever seen, and (no spoilers) there was this red-headed white guy space mechanic named Ren, and the first thing I thought was "Shenmue!", which, of course, would be a ridiculous stretch, except that when the camera panned over to his locker, it read: "Ren Hazuki". I'm watching the show with a friend of mine (who is also a Shenmue fan) who has read the books, and he said the dude was just called 'Ren' in the books, no last name. So, I look up the character on the TV Expanse wiki (don't in order to avoid spoilers, if you care) and it says an artist in the TV show art department bestowed the last name 'Hazuki' upon the character. I figure, he or she has got to be a sneaky Shenmue fan -- there is no way it's a coincidence, and I figure he or she is probably reading this post right now. To you I say thank you very very much, and I furthermore demand that you reveal yourself. :geek:

https://expanse.fandom.com/wiki/Ren_Hazuki_(TV)

Back