Premiere Date Speculation

When do you think the anime will premiere?

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • First half of 2021

Votes: 24 38.1%
  • Second half of 2021

Votes: 29 46.0%
  • 2022 or later

Votes: 9 14.3%

• Total voters

Jibby

🍇
Administrator
Favourite title
Shenmue II
Currently playing
the waiting game.
I'm quite curious to see the general opinion on when the Shenmue Anime will premiere.

From what we know at the moment, the project was greenlit right after Shenmue III launched, so it's clearly been in production for quite some time. On the other hand though, despite it's announcement we've not yet seen any trailers or promotional material (aside from that one image) and general information is still pretty limited.

I feel a 2020 release is possible for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if we got it early-mid next year either. I think it would be really cool if we got it in November or December to go with Shenmue I's Christmassy vibes!

What do you guys think?

I'm quite curious to see the general opinion on when the Shenmue Anime will premiere.

From what we know at the moment, the project was greenlit right after Shenmue III launched, so it's clearly been in production for quite some time. On the other hand though, despite it's announcement we've not yet seen any trailers or promotional material (aside from that one image) and general information is still pretty limited.

I feel a 2020 release is possible for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if we got it early-mid next year either. I think it would be really cool if we got it in November or December to go with Shenmue I's Christmassy vibes!

What do you guys think?
I think it depends on whether its release schedule is dictated by the Japanese airing or if Adult Swim and Crunchyroll will have greater flexibility as producers. Anime is typically aired in quite distinct seasons (Spring, Summer, Fall and Winter), each typically consisting of 13 episodes, with some spanning across seasons to make 26 episode or longer runs.

All of the new shows for the Fall season will be airing in early October (https://www.livechart.me/fall-2020/tv) and the Winter season kicks off in January 2021, so I think it's unlikely we'll see it this side of the New Year.

I think it's also worth considering the timeline of Adult Swim's other high-profile anime project, a four episode miniseries of Ito Junji's Uzumaki. This was announced in October 2019 with a proposed 2020 release window, but has since been pushed back into 2021 due to delays caused by you-know-what and other factors.

As much as I'd love this to come out as soon as possible, I don't think we'll see it until next Summer personally. God, I hope I'm wrong!

What do you guys think?
Welcome back!

When they mentioned that the project had been greenlit last November, I did wonder whether it might launch simultaneously with the Steam release of Shenmue 3, but as they don’t seem to even be in a position to put out a trailer or give us a rough idea of when we might get to see something, I’m guessing that it’s quite a bit further away.

It’s anybodies guess though. They could drop a trailer and announce a release date at any moment and it wouldn’t really surprise me.

Seems like the first half has taken the lead, so there's still hope!
Now the staff just needs to see this thread so they know when they should deliver it to us by. :D

In all seriousness, though, I was looking into what information I could find on the other two high-profile series being brought to CR and AS with their partnership. Blade Runner: Black Lotus was announced way back in 2017, and is set to air early next year, it seems. Fena: Pirate Princess was announced in July of this year, and according to the interview they showed along with the trailer for that announcement, it had been in production for about a year and a half. That's set for a release next year, as well. I think. Second half of 2021 for Shenmue could be slightly optomistic, but maybe it's possible. I think the beginning of 2022 seems more likely, though.

As much as I would love it to come out during the winter of 2021. I think because of covid-19 taking such a big hit on the industry that we'll probably get a trailer late next year for a 2022 release.

Now the staff just needs to see this thread so they know when they should deliver it to us by. :D

In all seriousness, though, I was looking into what information I could find on the other two high-profile series being brought to CR and AS with their partnership. Blade Runner: Black Lotus was announced way back in 2017, and is set to air early next year, it seems. Fena: Pirate Princess was announced in July of this year, and according to the interview they showed along with the trailer for that announcement, it had been in production for about a year and a half. That's set for a release next year, as well. I think. Second half of 2021 for Shenmue could be slightly optomistic, but maybe it's possible. I think the beginning of 2022 seems more likely, though.

Oh Jesus fucking Christ. Fuck my life.

4eq0ph.jpg

It's probably still in pre-production. Still need time to promote it, etc. Gotta wait for other announcements such as Masaya Matsukaze and Corey Marshall coming back as Ryo or not.

It's probably still in pre-production. Still need time to promote it, etc. Gotta wait for other announcements such as Masaya Matsukaze and Corey Marshall coming back as Ryo or not.
I got a feeling that they may pass on Corey for a professional VO but we shall see

I got a feeling that they may pass on Corey for a professional VO but we shall see
I think I mentioned it in a different thread, but I'd be completely fine with this to be honest. I think the anime could be a really cool oportunity to see a slightly different take on the characters.

Back