Premiering February 5th 2022 + New Trailer

So amazing, will have to rewatch these when I get the time. I think next the community has to galvanize around how we can properly support the anime.

So I am out of the loop here but as a Canadian how do I purchase access? Is there an app where I pay monthly subscription fee? Any information would be appreciated.
It will be on the anime app "Crunchyroll"

It's an anime netflix style app. it should be available in Canada

So amazing, will have to rewatch these when I get the time. I think next the community has to galvanize around how we can properly support the anime.

So I am out of the loop here but as a Canadian how do I purchase access? Is there an app where I pay monthly subscription fee? Any information would be appreciated.
https://www.crunchyroll.com/

You enter here, create an account and choose the subscription.

Also by app, yes.

Episodes of some series can be watched for free too a week after the premiere and with adds.

Last edited:
Will all the episodes be released at once or will it be a weekly thing?

Trailers look cool. That song in the Japanese version doesn't fit at all.

February 5th is amazing news. I thought we'd have to wait until the fall so this is great.

I'm shaking right now, that's look fantastic, I'm a fan of shenmue since 2018 I'm 20 years old and i'm almost in tear i can only imagine how you guy feel those who have been shenmue fan for as long as my entire life. shenmue is back! (sorry for my bad english)

I saw the 2 trailers now, this is amazing. Matsukaze saying "Oyaaaaaaajiiii" is even more intense here than in the game in my opinion, in the game is intense but here i felt even more the pain Ryo was going through this moment, Masaya Matsukaze is amazing, it is sad that Corey is not in the anime but i enjoyed the new voice of Ryo in english.

It looks like Iwao's death scene in the anime will be even more intense.

You Arcade looks bigger and different, we can even see Virtua Fighter cabinet here.

20.png

Suka High?

unknown.png

The song that played in the trailer will probably be the opening theme, the song we will hear in the opening, i like the song. So many details to talk about this trailers, it is beautiful. The anime will add so much things and lore to the story of Shenmue and this is beautiful, beautiful moment to me, i cried a little, Shenmue is super important to me, February will be an awesome month. ♥️

What completely unexpected and exciting news. This looks fantastic and I hope it lives up to the well deserved hype from these trailers. So many nods to little moments in the game. It looks like they might be giving Ryo his scar from the Lan Di encounter which is different, but the close up on the telephone, the double blow, Mad Angels, Mark and the forklift, the path to Heartbeats bar - this might be the best way for Shenmue to conclude its story without compromise. Although, the best case scenario is the anime is successful enough to not only guarantee another season but also push Shenmue 4 into becoming a reality.

Perfect. I knew they would start it off at Ryo's tournament even before the first trailer. Glad its the full intro and not a quick flash back. Really love the music in the Japanese trailer. The english Dub is fine. its your typical slew of "recognizable but where?" voice actors that I expected. And the fact that it is coming much sooner than expected is amazing. Here is to at least 5 seasons of a complete story. Games or no.

I just really wonder where they will end. From the Key visual we will at least make it Hong Kong and encounter Don Niu...but there is a snipet that shows Lan-di in what looks like his Shenmue 3 base. So maybe they will cram Shenmue 1 into 4 episodes and Shenmue 2 into the remaining 8...

I feel sorry for Corey too but i think the recast was kind of necessary
because in comparison to the first two games, you could sometimes really easily hear
that he simply has a older / deeper voice in Shenmue 3.

So now even more time has past and we are going all the way back to the beginning of Shenmue 1 with the anime,
probably even new scenes that take place before the game.
And i think if you want to present this whole project on a professional level to a international audience
outside of the core fan base, you have to change the voice to make it work.

Theres no problem with the japanese version because fortunately the original voice
still almost sounds the same. These are things nobody can predict with a 20 year project pause.
So i hope Corey doesnt take it personal, its not his fault.

And yeah I feel bad for Corey but the new voice is Dead Pan Ryo with actual personality from the little clips we heard so I am fine with this. Also just makes since to get someone you hear in typical funimation/crunchyroll projects with how voice acting works in the states.

Side Note: That opening theme (Japanese lyrics) sounds great. Cant wait for a full one and to see the actually opening animation that goes with it. More fast paced and upbeat than I would expect for Shenmue which this show seems to be going for.

Animation looks good, go zero complaints there.

However, the deal breaker for me is the dub. As someone who prefers dubs not only for Shenmue, but in general, I'm very disappointed by the complete lack of reprisal of roles. Not hearing Corey back is super weird and sucks big time, I've associated his voice with Ryo for so many years, and it won't be easy to shake off. But even looking aside, not even Shenhua's or Ren's Shenmue 3 voices are back? *Sigh* Honestly because of this, I might just watch some key scenes of the show and call it a day. If this ends up becoming the new medium where Shenmue's entire story is told, it's gonna suck not seeing Corey involved.

Is it weird that my nips stiffened when I saw the tobacco shop telephone???

Already set the key art as my phone background. Holy heck, some of that background art is incredible too.

I wonder if it'll be on AnimeLab here in Aus. What do you reckon @danielmann861?

Depends on if Madman acquired it or not. To my knowledge, Anime Labs is Madman owned, right? If not, just check it out on the Crunchyroll app. Can’t see why it wouldn’t be there for us Aussies.

Just give me a nice Blu Ray release when all is said and done. Milk my money.

Back