Project Update #96: English Voice Recording Report!

English Voice Recording Report!

日本語はこちら
Hello Everyone,

The English voice recording is coming along so we want to report where we are at and get behind the scenes with the cast and crew.

If you have been following Corey Marshall on Twitter you might have seen that English voice recording was also in session from last year. Shenmue III continues the tradition with a huge amount of voiced lines. We are about 70-80% done recording and we are happy to report we are right on track!

Main Cast Introductions

X6pyBAhsc-gJcDQNWQ3V1CQBQwXzNSSNkRELHc7A4MBGKQlAoYKx_JSBGWuqgqjQewYSqPYqmKRSNs7MVxdeG38z4DW0JYQPY-Oyljzx4xPexv_TanmPIOGJWhqB260WIxjqQl8eFiZ7MvN7MAx27IXU2BXhZfGZmBcYRFoDL8FSqK1dWd3VKIp8zU50Liy2EKgAuvYYRC1shajZbkF7-FtZMfIq6yydI8pdBD4LuIRlH3-E4OXsnPjdVigWWsj5w4YwjFQ1hcprqHCoLsHQLg0qknpm=s0-d-e1-ft

Hey! It's Corey Marshall! Without Corey, our English speaking Ryo just would not come to life. Corey was set to play Ryo when the project started back in 2015. It did take a quite a while to get into the studio and start recording the English voices, but Corey was full on ready to give a great performance, so expect the best!

qElH23Jpv85a9FH4bVhZ-GaO7JDak9ONoip48sBXUY1BKVx1xaRytuxfgYIX1vfmM4XxN3FKAqRcppGpkdBrCeiytC0rEf-eZZnDt2kAcDZwksblZD7-oUkqt9qQxTVDyav-2J0z3L6Jw8icNMeYQ8ANIAS5hXK3JnWNt7xSYaSLJ-APYyekaWCo21u1zJp3_G-nGX2N5eVnCUvT6FqCxgTcF4jR_HsS6F9E9JIv2tPgqp94HpFVel2DlEYt78mPKKTt7lenhIaiXr4Fn17gMg3Fx6X8=s0-d-e1-ft

Playing our heroine in Shenmue III is Brianna Knickerbocker! Yu-san selected from a number of candidates through audio auditions only, and Brianna stunned with her great performance reel. Finally meeting at the studio, she stunned us again with her beauty. Brianna has acted in a dizzying array of games and animated features, so we will all be looking forward to her portrayal of Shenhua!

Behind the Scenes at the Studio
Last year Yu Suzuki and Sound Director Takayuki Nakamura went to the studio in L.A. for the English voice recording jump off.

t7_3q9ao_XJmOT_lmmEkUaMiIBvMPeDKJEpBZbLhvVzMQKhcR4R9JkvkxxDx4AA3FiQ8RrgAOwqr0E6XMGA5GAAP08psTqgWTLKpLXBzBekD4guSNR_k04pMSl4TiAr_U2aK6qre-ijQQih-DRztSXzNWqjZ4SV3lUz1rxHj9T7h3DR0VU4DjPm9dlpP5X7u1aIp4FHmYtbRo0qPU8BxDFuqp8dbe-pJXGtWJigvljTEwzBuiriJ2kVjvckW1VMpdW2fwf3mk2xomrxoZ6VhD0pNc8hL=s0-d-e1-ft

English voice recording crew unite! From left: Shenhua actress Brianna-san, English Voice Recording Director Bill-san (Lionbridge Gaming), Yu-san, Sound Director Nakamura-san
DxCnFnlIYPczNYn7kscayGNVobtoaDaNDW4JbPrthet1vPSoYyvH6QtHCzKfOjPJfiMArCAmg3jyk6vm0IY17tZIUhWK-dnpJXthEMY9khBMsDtY6M9Wft1vE1NixHAB4XCIBV8OnRFcFTZTvEzOy3LDXxjNCkJYDBt_fCqLP_I5WA0gra4-rRyVQhTho2IhXyheAPTvrS76M_qoR-XrG_bz4zgou0tClblRCS-sMFqei1nz0Dbd3dAq83b34YdrUSdsRAGqVPbiT4YWAgpTiPUcBOOF=s0-d-e1-ft

Serious time!
K7T33GbS54ms5dP165c-vf_bwg6DNTn6EslLmt5StW3E4PM5bJEHLtfa2tIfYbwqQFGQYMsJDze3nnAt86qJM7SQQWqCTWeM0WiSR-AhC4WkMIgUhvP1zvPvHRNLH--GDWCRTEANSDDm0n4zsJBU-ot5FfGBwT8VvuRGZHNExH9IeeHN7GdA8HrXe7WY1uFegb8aeqIDSorKKIv0kQzoPVqnkhFhPtFunz_DXbKuJBtSaufxEZVO1zTGmC5SJwUKWXX-vCcRHklbXdEF1YDhUbGguPPU=s0-d-e1-ft

Playing the game to get into the atmosphere.
hiXxcMwl9AYG-wDkzP79zyNv_BzDOyIO5U6SSErx4Z-IMinaqEWnw6zaKoJbvE6fsfMlTw8-diPptT_qr7OGhJ8p31Rdb_cuAFY5k82ZsYuADXtm8arcWMBSP4oR34dtSqEtTv9OjWFcEA8sZBaLQ15lpBnjfs0Dg9HPEWcN1bzEgImNDwvXpnteSti3hz0C9dV6gtYIuSX8kgApbMnmZ7ou9p84H0mWh0iTBpMycBQ2hmhbZ8MSdvuidbUiJcfcxBwQ6vmoapLNRYx9KE-itUoguGqaWg=s0-d-e1-ft

Who's this!? It's Corey's daughter, Katana, making her voice acting debut!
qRPlztbhs5qU6nh3-985oWabX8xqFYr0xur9dEDXMqOKtxCyc4BwxIQjztIjnmMeEzOJl6cJLPimrAdZ4l_IxeCzGLIxlsdngdDRTFQS5D9U84DcWoLNkEpv3_DUtG2pDhF4rV0MbjkXC03IB2P2GqZegZSl-cCeq54tsgBSaZkPPULyG2s4o8S9U7R9RzCDBT-P6ck9sydoA9zjFwGqnNYdEE5syEP-LKZr632EtZMIEkD55opT9y67oaGUqF8KSFlujsFmbW5gCDjOGlfB015_bMEpCw=s0-d-e1-ft

Ready! Go?
th32KwB4Z_e6movkn-MzjjEvDGC6mvLuF-w6FQ4CrARyJi6B_1aX6140FocIb8mRUu9CyrywzBvtZw9mMKiZxgxZuPwloTY0nfQzlZOtk8IQix48x7-T2ZLJvzpW8vDqzJth3TXq9Lw1kPZ0QJZybNSeHGjGnVOCaA3z9ZCmJ6y5OP2cnoB-CDntbOiI2K5HoC5osItZZuthzrXpzp_fRJb5yt71WFANzY_q561xR4dz6CpvH7bbGQzx05aO-3RLrYbEMLbpo6AP_bqyKZBn4lNw3T6O3A=s0-d-e1-ft

Yeah! The English voice crew brings it!
Hope everyone enjoyed that! There was so much great back and forth on the Shenmue concept and technical aspects between Corey, Brianna, all the voice actors and the recording staff from Lionbridge Gaming in charge of the English voicing, making it a truly meaningful chapter in the journey!

Survey Closure Notice
Following the announcement in December, we would like to remind everyone that January 6th was the final day to update survey responses* in order to keep development on schedule. We thank you for your understanding and cooperation.
*Changes to shipping addresses and some reward details can still be made until further notice.
This year we plan to put a big push promoting the game. We have new info scheduled for release upcoming, so we kindly ask for patience until then. Thank you as always for your support!

Last edited:
Super awesome update. One of the best they've done. Great behind the scenes look here. And also news that the game's on track with a mega promotional push for this year planned? Fucking amazing. Thanks for posting this. Enjoyed seeing it.

Last edited:
Holy Shit! Look at the 37 second mark in the video the game looks amazing! Ten times better than the teaser trailer or even the prophecy trailer! I knew Yu-sama was keeping his real cards hidden up his sleeve. It's gonna be weird to hear competent English voice acting for Shenmue but I'll adapt lol. Now just need some combat footage and maybe an announcement for dual audio and I am good! Can't wait for August!

Just look at this!

Attachments

• ezgif-2-2084774a93ef.gif
    ezgif-2-2084774a93ef.gif
    6.7 MB · Views: 103
Last edited:
Holy Shit! Look at the 37 second mark in the video the game looks amazing! Ten times better than the teaser trailer or even the prophecy trailer! I knew Yu-sama was keeping his real cards hidden up his sleeve. It's gonna be weird to hear competent English voice acting for Shenmue but I'll adapt lol. Now just need some combat footage and maybe an announcement for dual audio and I am good! Can't wait for August!

Just look at this!

Fucking woah at this. Yeah it's the scene from that famous Ryo and Shenhua screenshot come to life? As in the latest version of the actual scene in-motion and yeah it looks incredible. Orders of magnitude beyond anything we've seen thus far.

Also is it me or is Shenhua's voice actress absolutely adorable. She's supposed to have quite the expansive voice over career too so bet she knocks it out of the park. Sounds like our two leads are going to nail it with both her and Corey.

It's the best update they've done in forever. With the marketing kicking in to high gear can't wait for MAGIC now.

EDIT: This update's particularly awesome because it makes Shenmue 3 feel real. Feels as real as it could ever be.

Last edited:
This is an amazing update! That snippet of video showing Ryo and Shenhua walking together is fantastic. This game is going to be so awesome. I can tell that there is so much hard work and LOVE going into Shenmue III (the way it should be).

Yu Suzuki and crew, we all thank you from the depths of our heart for putting so much into our dream-come-true Shenmue III! I am absolutely ecstatic. :D

75d0e6dd52.gif

:love:

I honestly cannot stop watching that video. This is possibly one of my favourite updates ever. It really drives in the fact that Shenmue III is real and we'll be playing it soon.

It's so weird that only a few years ago, Shenmue was considered entirely dead, but now it's as active as it's ever been with the originals re-released and the third on the way. Despite lasting 14 years, those times feel like a distant memory now. We are so, so lucky.

Last edited:
A nice update! Feels so real, so near... I like the first part where we see a beautiful background with Shenhua just sitting near a tree and all the plants moving with the wind, etc. It has that art style, that care for even the smallest details that you can only see it in few game nowadays...

I'm very looking forward to see some fucking gameplay, once for all!

Great update and really getting the hype going now.

The snippets they've shown look great, lovely art style and I think we will be blown away once the final release is here.

From what I can see Ryo is looking very much like himself now. Can't wait!

75d0e6dd52.gif

:love:

I honestly cannot stop watching that video. This is possibly one of my favourite updates ever. It really drives in the fact that Shenmue III is real and we'll be playing it soon.

It's so weird that only a few years ago, Shenmue was considered entirely dead, but now it's as active as it's ever been with the originals re-released and the third on the way. Despite lasting 14 years, those times feel like a distant memory now. We are so, so lucky.
Woooowowowowowooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The movements look so NATURAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Although I am going to use the Japanese Dub if possible it is still a great update to see for me. Really nice to see that they voice recording is going smooth and the People involved are very motiviated doing a great Performance.

Can't wait for the subtitles in that scene to be translated :D

I am so unbelievably hyped! Although this update didn't provide us with a whole lot we didn't already know, it felt so real having it all officially confirmed. I can't wait to hear the English dub in action soon.

And the laptop footage looks fantastic!

Back