PS4 framerate fix

Yeah, as far as I know they would (I don't own any PS4 consoles, though). On a 4K display the panel upsamples the console output (or the console probably has an option to do it also) in order to fit it to its natural resolution, though. Since 1080p -> 4K is an integer scale, this would almost certainly result in a "better" picture (essentially line-doubling), but I haven't seen Shenmue III rendered at 1080p on a 4K display, personally.

That’s why I was also confused as to what his point was because as far as I’m aware, the only difference would be the frame rate, not the graphics when played on a PS4 or PS4 Pro on a 1080p screen.

I’ve only ever played S3 on a PS4 Pro and a 55” 4K tv and it looked pretty glorious. Especially the environments. NPC pop in still left a lot to be desired though.

Yeah, as far as I know they would (I don't own any PS4 consoles, though). On a 4K display the panel upsamples the console output (or the console probably has an option to do it also) in order to fit it to its natural resolution, though. Since 1080p -> 4K is an integer scale, this would almost certainly result in a "better" picture (essentially line-doubling), but I haven't seen Shenmue III rendered at 1080p on a 4K display, personally.

PS4 does allow supersampling on 2K screens

supersampling-01-ps4-en-09mar18

However this isn’t applicable for Shenmue 3 as the console version doesn’t exceeded 1080p in terms of resolution. I played the game on my 4K OLED Sony TV and think the environments and lighting during sunset and evenings in particular look really nice.

hZBdhci.jpg

The framerate isnt the only difference according to DigitalFoundry, Eurogamer and VGTech.
The Ps4 Pro runs this game in normal 1080p,
the normal PS4 runs this game in 1536 x 864 and then upscales it to 1080p output.
So its not that the Pro is running this in 1440p or some special mode,
the normal PS4 doesnt render in 1080p.

The framerate isnt the only difference according to DigitalFoundry, Eurogamer and VGTech.
The Ps4 Pro runs this game in normal 1080p,
the normal PS4 runs this game in 1536 x 864 and then upscales it to 1080p output.
So its not that the Pro is running this in 1440p or some special mode,
the normal PS4 doesnt render in 1080p.

Hmm, I wonder if the difference between the 2 would be enough to describe one as “piss poor”. I genuinely do not know as I’ve never played it on a base PS4/1080p panel.

I'm playing on pro on a 4k television. So in theory since the picture has to be upscaled I'm getting a softer picture. By comparison, I can't see a huge difference though in terms of detail when playing a 4k video of the pc version on the TV.

Hmm, I wonder if the difference between the 2 would be enough to describe one as “piss poor”. I genuinely do not know as I’ve never played it on a base PS4/1080p panel.
I' mean its not a huge difference between these two resolutions, textures and everything are the same,
but it explains why the early leaked PS4 gameplay footage looked so fuzzy in direct comparison with the PC trailer footage
and why the later review footage on the PS4 Pro looked cleaner.
They didnt upgrade the Pro version, they downgraded the normal version.

Which makes it even weirder why they didnt cap the framerate at 30.
I mean they clearly chose the lower resolution because of performance
then why are they downgrading the resolution but still let the framerate do whatever it wants,
makes no sense in my opinion. Even with the lower resolution the game is miles away from reaching the 60 fps target.

PS4 does allow supersampling on 2K screens
Supersampling would be slightly different. Without getting into Nyquist rates and cutoff frequencies, I'll just say that if the console is rendering the game at a higher resolution internally, and mapping it to a lower resolution to fit the screen, this helps with reducing artifacts from aliasing. There's a whole class of anti-aliasing "filters" that are based on supersampling. As you say, though, this wouldn't apply to Shenmue III.

What I was talking about in my last post was essentially the opposite. The console is rendering the game at a lower resolution than the TV, so either the console, or the TV will have to upsample that internal resolution in order to fit the screen. In general, this is trying to reclaim data above one-half the Nyquist frequency, often requiring fancy DSP algorithms, with varying levels of precision. 1080p to 4K is a special case, though, because it's an integer scale. This doesn't really add new data (improve detail), or reduce aliasing artifacts; Hypothetically speaking, it mainly improves image clarity.

I played the game on my 4K OLED Sony TV and think the environments and lighting during sunset and evenings in particular look really nice.
It sounds like you're at least partly agreeing with what he was saying, then. It looked to me like he was saying that the game looks really nice on a 4K OLED TV, played from a PS4 Pro, but most people probably played on a base PS4 console with a 1080p display, which doesn't look as good (I'm hearing).

Super fresh setup you've got there, by the way. I dig the artwork. (y)

What I was talking about in my last post was essentially the opposite. The console is rendering the game at a lower resolution than the TV, so either the console, or the TV will have to upsample that internal resolution in order to fit the screen. In general, this is trying to reclaim data above one-half the Nyquist frequency, often requiring fancy DSP algorithms, with varying levels of precision. 1080p to 4K is a special case, though, because it's an integer scale. This doesn't really add new data (improve detail), or reduce aliasing artifacts; Hypothetically speaking, it mainly improves image clarity.

Yes, I understand your point now. I heard the newer Samsung models are rather adept at this but hopefully as more content is shot and distributed natively at 4K the need for this is reduced.

Somewhat related but I’m super impressed by AI algorithms that are able to upscale old content into much higher resolutions.

Super fresh setup you've got there, by the way. I dig the artwork. (y)

Thank you. You can find more pictures in my gaming setup thread. Hopefully encourage others to post their setups.

Back