PS4 framerate fix

I have trouble believing that they put all of that money into this game. I honestly had to put the game in Japanese because the English dialogue was so horrible. Some how the managed to make the voice acting worse than the last 2 games lol. I also don't understand why the scenes are so choppy? Why you have to eat food to run in this game is beyond me. I'm truly grateful to have shenmue 3 and I love it but I don't believe they spent all those millions making it. I only have a hour in the game so far so maybe I'll think differently in a couple day's.

lol indeed. Not to mention he has played an hour. Don't you think that's a bit too early to judge? I couldn't disagree with you more, and I can't believe they have managed to pull off a game of this scope with the budget that they had. The more I play, the more I am blown away with how much stuff they have managed to ram into the game lol It's crazy!

Hey thanks for the tip! I was getting nauseous, I thought my sessions were too long. Disabled boost mode and my problems are gone.

Edit: have to add that I have motion sickness so I'm sensitive to unstable framerate in combination with moving the camera.

Last edited:
So the downside of boost mode off is less fps, but more stable?
I don't know, if they have budget left for download content they could at least try to optimise it for pro and for the future (PS5) Like 1080P full details 30fps, 60fps 1080p less details, 4K 30fps but less details.

Not to nitpick but the game wasn't made on $7M. Further funding came from Sony, Deep Silver etc., though no one knows how much. Still a low budget in today's market though, no doubt.

We can't forget this:

9efe610414da85d9f356a5de5addcd12_original.png

So if we are optimistic and only take 30% for fees and rewards, there is just over $5M left for development.
And as far as we know, Sony's involvement had more to do with publishing and marketing, not directly the development.

In every way, it is a miracle that the game is as it is.

About the framerate...
After finishing my second playtrough on PS4 pro I decided to switch off boost mode and try running trough Niaowu. It's really a bit better with less tearing.

Replaced the harddrive recently with an ssd. Apart from mainly shorter initial loading times no noticeable difference.

About the framerate...
After finishing my second playtrough on PS4 pro I decided to switch off boost mode and try running trough Niaowu. It's really a bit better with less tearing.

Replaced the harddrive recently with an ssd. Apart from mainly shorter initial loading times no noticeable difference.

I really hope we get a backwards compatible version on PS5 at 60 FPS. Makes a huge difference in terms of fluidity.

Last edited:
I really hope we get a backwards compatible version on PS5 at 60 FPS. Makes a huge difference in terms of fluidity.

If Shenmue 3 is playable on the PS5, which I think is likely, does the fact that it's uncapped mean that we should see an increase in performance, at least when it comes to frame rate?

If Shenmue 3 is playable on the PS5, which I think is likely, does the fact that it's uncapped mean that we should see an increase in performance, at least when it comes to frame rate?

The folks at Digital Foundry think that’s a possibility-

Excited for the steam release if only for the fact they may have 'gone back to the well' and done some fixes/optimizes that could also be rolled out for the PS4 version.

Lol, I played on both PS4 and PS4 Pro and PS4 on a 1080p tv looks like shit. The environments, the characters faces have less detail, everything looks piss-poor. That's why I can excuse a modicum of the disrespect towards Shen3 on from casuals. Only 10% of the American public have 4K tv's so casuals are not say enough to spring for a PS4 Pro or a 4k Oled.

Lol, I played on both PS4 and PS4 Pro and PS4 on a 1080p tv looks like shit. The environments, the characters faces have less detail, everything looks piss-poor. That's why I can excuse a modicum of the disrespect towards Shen3 on from casuals. Only 10% of the American public have 4K tv's so casuals are not say enough to spring for a PS4 Pro or a 4k Oled.

I am not really following your point. The game didn’t have any enhancements for PS4 Pro owners in terms of higher resolution. The only benefit was 5-8 frames improvement of the base game but still had uncapped framerate.

I am not really following your point. The game didn’t have any enhancements for PS4 Pro owners in terms of higher resolution. The only benefit was 5-8 frames improvement of the base game but still had uncapped framerate.

Yeah, this didn’t quite make sense to me either.

I think the suggestion is that the average person playing on a stock PS4 is probably playing on a 1080p display, and maybe not seeing some of the benefits from upsampling.

I think the suggestion is that the average person playing on a stock PS4 is probably playing on a 1080p display, and maybe not seeing some of the benefits from upsampling.

Would a PS4 and PS4 Pro not look the same on a 1080p tv in the case of S3?

Would a PS4 and PS4 Pro not look the same on a 1080p tv in the case of S3?
Yeah, as far as I know they would (I don't own any PS4 consoles, though). On a 4K display the panel upsamples the console output (or the console probably has an option to do it also) in order to fit it to its natural resolution, though. Since 1080p -> 4K is an integer scale, this would almost certainly result in a "better" picture (essentially line-doubling), but I haven't seen Shenmue III rendered at 1080p on a 4K display, personally.

Back