PS4

~ ひかり ~

このまま・・・時間が止まるといい
Site Staff
Favourite title
Shenmue
Currently playing
Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy (PS4)
Now is time for PS4, i still remember when i got my PS4 in 2013, was a really exciting time for me.

I like the dual shock 4, i think it was a really good evolution. With PS4 Sony added the "What's new" part where we could share a lot of things, not only about games but other things as well, in this part we can see the trophies that friends earned, things they posted and much more, i remember one person on my friend list that love sharing animes wallpapers and much more, this feature is similar to social media and i think it was a good addition, i miss this feature on PS5, Sony did not add this on PS5 yet, maybe in the future.

In my opinion PS4 have a good library of games, i know that in this generation we had a lot of remasters and remakes but we had a lot of original games as well.

Remasters and Remakes are nice in my opinion, i don't have problems with this.

Overall i think sony did a good job with PS4, it is a nice console in my opinion.

And you? you like PS4? you have favorite games? you have dearest memories because of this console?

Here we can talk everything about PS4, thank you.

1630260433373.png

I always chose Xbox One every time over PS4, but I do respect the PS4 overall. It's one of only two consoles from the first generation of consoles that allowed games to feel like a real deep spiritual artistic experience. A coming of age and maturity for an industry that was previously associated with being made for children only in mind. Now, starting with this amazing machine and it's counterpart XB1 games can actually start to breathe and not all look and feel the same as they did in the previous generations and only focus on trivial aspects of entertainment alone. As with any other console era, I will always choose the Xbox counterpart for 99% of the games over the PS version, but PS4 actually has a few of my favorite titles that I cannot find on an Xbox being Shenmue 3 and Ghost of Tsushima. I've owned/sold/dealt with in business all three versions of the PS4 and I found the PS4 Slim to be really nice for portability, it's light weight and has a decent design. In fact, all 3 models look very nice compared to the PS3 and even more so in comparison to the dumpster fire design of the PS5. The PS4 controller though, it's the most uncomfortable from Sony. When I went from PS3 to PS4 I remembered thinking 'shouldn't this feel better than the PS3 controller?' I couldn't stand using the PS4 dualshock and thankfully have the PS5 currently which is an upgrade in comfort to some degree. The original PS4's always seem to have an issue where they sound like a plane taking off on a runway with their ventilation issues. The first PS4 I owned was the original one when Shenmue 3 came out and I had a hard time hearing the game dialogue over the sound of the console, the Slim and Pro were much quieter and nicer to interact with. As always, I don't see the appeal of PS4 over it's Xbox counterpart due to the usual comparisons each generation: Xbox more powerful, controller more comfortable, overall experience feels better, more reliable, more affordable, etc but taking all of that into consideration, it's the best thing Sony has released yet.

The ps4 was not a bad console. Not of my favourite consoles of all time but still a good one. It was the first american Playstation that lacked the crazy japanese appeal of the last consoles. From a tech point of view it was not as sophiscated as the last playstation. Just low tech PC hardware. Considering the weak tech the games on that plattform really looked amazing.

Games like The Order 1886, Uncharted 4, Until Dawn and the FF7 Remake still look very good today.

ps: I am not blaming Cerny for going the PC route. It made way much more sense than investing in a custom chipset . Because even if the custom chipset is better than the off the shelf parts it is usless if the devs do not want to use it. Sony learned that leason with the PS3.

The ps2 was also very difficult to develop for but due to shere luck they got away with it. The ps2 was the only next gen plattform for quite a while so the devs had to arrange with it. Sega gave up and killed the Dreamcast and MS and Nintendo were not ready in 2000. So Sony was the only option for the devs.

But if the devs have other options as well they are not a fan of custom hardware and tend to ignore it rather quick. Sega realised that fact the hard way with the Saturn.

The ps4 was not a bad console. Not of my favourite consoles of all time but still a good one. It was the first american Playstation that lacked the crazy japanese appeal of the last consoles. From a tech point of view it was not as sophiscated as the last playstation. Just low tech PC hardware. Considering the weak tech the games on that plattform really looked amazing.

Games like The Order 1886, Uncharted 4, Until Dawn and the FF7 Remake still look very good today.

ps: I am not blaming Cerny for going the PC route. It made way much more sense than investing in a custom chipset . Because even if the custom chipset is better than the off the shelf parts it is usless if the devs do not want to use it. Sony learned that leason with the PS3.

The ps2 was also very difficult to develop for but due to shere luck they got away with it. The ps2 was the only next gen plattform for quite a while so the devs had to arrange with it. Sega gave up and killed the Dreamcast and MS and Nintendo were not ready in 2000. So Sony was the only option for the devs.

But if the devs have other options as well they are not a fan of custom hardware and tend to ignore it rather quick. Sega realised that fact the hard way with the Saturn.
I strongly agree with your comments on the PS2 and it's quite possibly the reason for all of the unwarranted hype around that console and its legacy. Sega left a gap in the market when they left and since Xbox and even GameCube wasn't ready until 2 years later people took advantage of the PS2s availability and being the only relevant console for a few years there, and it happened right when games finally had graphics that you could recognize what you're looking at without straining your eyes. I wouldn't say turn of the century graphics were realistic like they are now, but there was no confusing a person, a gun, a car, a building much like the more pixelated consoles of the past. It was the first time mouths moved during cutscenes and the first time first steps for characters starting to cross the uncanny valley where emotion could be displayed. It's primitive, but it was there on the Dreamcast in a way that it wasn't for the gen before it, and with Segas exit Sony capitalized. PS2 was way overrated as a console but because it excelled for 2 years during a gap between two better machines (DC and XB) they filled out the library nicely. I think PS2s legacy is in the games that were not showing up elsewhere during that time before the Xbox released. Once XB came out there was very little reason to stick with the PS2 and I know many people at that time that kept the PS2 for exclusives only but wanted the smoother graphics and controls and a console with built in memory, etc.

@9dragons have you played Uncharted Lost Legacy? If you like 4, I think you'd like that one the graphics are nicer, story is better and the main character isn't insufferable like Nathan Drake.

Yes the good luck with Sony is incredible as the undeserved bad luck Sega had with the Dreamcast. It is really fascinating how things turned out. But I have to admit that ps2 hype was the only console hype ever I even fell for. Then after learning that the Ps2 was not even remotely that what Sony promised I gave the hype and since then I am way happy gamer.But it is also a nice case study to see how pointless the Sony hate is. The whole negative videos about the Ps5 for example from Xbox fanatics are worthless. As soon as Sony does something right the masses forget the bad things.

And while not perfect the PS5 has fewer flaws than the Ps2 and the Ps3 for example. It is decent console that has not reached it's final form. The PS2 was a mess in the first 2 years.The tech not as good as promised the games were not looking as good as promised. The Dreamcast could have fought the PS2 unitl 2002 or maybe 2003 at equal terms. Then the technical superiority of the ps2 would haven been visible.

And no unfortuantely I have not played Lost Legacy yet. It is on my to do list though. The footage looks amazing and it is cool to play some other characters in it. I am not the biggest Chloe Fan to be honest but it could still be interesting playing her with Nadine Ross as her sidekick. Looking forward playing

Yes the good luck with Sony is incredible as the undeserved bad luck Sega had with the Dreamcast. It is really fascinating how things turned out. But I have to admit that ps2 hype was the only console hype ever I even fell for. Then after learning that the Ps2 was not even remotely that what Sony promised I gave the hype and since then I am way happy gamer.But it is also a nice case study to see how pointless the Sony hate is. The whole negative videos about the Ps5 for example from Xbox fanatics are worthless. As soon as Sony does something right the masses forget the bad things.

And while not perfect the PS5 has fewer flaws than the Ps2 and the Ps3 for example. It is decent console that has not reached it's final form. The PS2 was a mess in the first 2 years.The tech not as good as promised the games were not looking as good as promised. The Dreamcast could have fought the PS2 unitl 2002 or maybe 2003 at equal terms. Then the technical superiority of the ps2 would haven been visible.

And no unfortuantely I have not played Lost Legacy yet. It is on my to do list though. The footage looks amazing and it is cool to play some other characters in it. I am not the biggest Chloe Fan to be honest but it could still be interesting playing her with Nadine Ross as her sidekick. Looking forward playing
I remember how I found out Dreamcast was dead. Pre-google days where I received the issue of Game Informer which I believe was September of 2000 or 1999 where the cover had a bunch of dynamite sticks with a Dreamcast sitting in the dynamite. It's strange because if you would have told me a month before that Sonic would show up on Mario's GameCube a few years later I would've laughed hard. I liked the Dreamcast, a lot in fact and wish it would have been able to hang in there.

I wasn't crazy about Chloé either though I prefer her to Nadine and certainly Nathan, but if you're looking at fun gameplay with a decent action movie plot, nothing super psychological or deep I think you'll enjoy Lost Legacy.

Last edited:
I remember how I found out Dreamcast was dead. Pre-google days where I received the issue of Game Informer which I believe was September of 2000 or 1999 where the cover had a bunch of dynamite sticks with a dremcat
The sad thing about the Dreamcast is that it never had a chance : (. In Japan it was released to early because people there where more than happy with the Saturn and the west it did much better than expected all things considered.

The day the death of the Dreamcast had been decided was the 2 of march 1999 already. On that day Sony revealed the ps2 specs and the tech demo. 60 Million Polygons sounds way more impressive than the 3 Million the Dreamcast could offer. Soon after that hype machine started it was over for the DC.

The bad marketing capabilities of Sega of Japan and Europe did not help either. With good marketing the negative effects might have been toned down a bit. Only Sega of America had the right marketing. The other branches did a meh job unfortunately.

it would have been rather easy to use the hype of the ps2 against Sony. it was the 90s after all. They chould have shown Sony fanboys waiting while showing Sega kids that are enjoying cutting edge games while the Sony Fraction had just the ps1. Comparing the Ps1 RE games with Code Veronica would have had a great effect I think. Or Tekken 3 vs Soul Calibur.

But even in the States the Sega Marketing at the End of the 90s was not as agressive as the marketing of the Mega Drive/Genesis area. Maybe that Crazy marketing was the brain child of Tom Kalinske. And Tom was was gone for many years when the DC come out.

Bernie the Saturn is not our Future Stolar and Peter Moore where not as agressive as the Toy Man Kalinske that was good with cheesy advertisment to get attention of young male audiance, the main target group of gaming back then.

Lol I hit post too early and it didn't finish.

Well that can happen. With the limited information I had back then the downfall of Sega came unexpected. I would have not have believed anybody if the he told me that Sonic would appear on the gamecube. According to the gaming mags it looked quite good for Sega in 2000. The Sega E3 showcase was voted by some german gaming mag as the best of the year. And even in November of 2000 the PR Lady of Sega Germany sounded quite confident about fighting the PS2 in the Christmas buesines. When i finally learned about the end of Sega as a console company I was shocked. Did not see that coming.

And yes I have seen enough footage of Lost legacy to be rather certain that I am going to enjoy it. It really looks cool.

The sad thing about the Dreamcast is that it never had a chance : (. In Japan it was released to early because people there where more than happy with the Saturn and the west it did much better than expected all things considered.

The day the death of the Dreamcast had been decided was the 2 of march 1999 already. On that day Sony revealed the ps2 specs and the tech demo. 60 Million Polygons sounds way more impressive than the 3 Million the Dreamcast could offer. Soon after that hype machine started it was over for the DC.

The bad marketing capabilities of Sega of Japan and Europe did not help either. With good marketing the negative effects might have been toned down a bit. Only Sega of America had the right marketing. The other branches did a meh job unfortunately.

it would have been rather easy to use the hype of the ps2 against Sony. it was the 90s after all. They chould have shown Sony fanboys waiting while showing Sega kids that are enjoying cutting edge games while the Sony Fraction had just the ps1. Comparing the Ps1 RE games with Code Veronica would have had a great effect I think. Or Tekken 3 vs Soul Calibur.

But even in the States the Sega Marketing at the End of the 90s was not as agressive as the marketing of the Mega Drive/Genesis area. Maybe that Crazy marketing was the brain child of Tom Kalinske. And Tom was was gone for many years when the DC come out.

Bernie the Saturn is not our Future Stolar and Peter Moore where not as agressive as the Toy Man Kalinske that was good with cheesy advertisment to get attention of young male audiance, the main target group of gaming back then.
The thing I have the hardest time believing, but it doesn't shock me at the same time cause people tend to like inferior products because they're sold that way in business propaganda is actually people in Japan preferring the Saturn to the Dreamcast....wtf?! Saturn was broken day one with faulty hardware and very few good exclusives and Dreamcast was the best thing Sega had done yet, and sadly ever. Even though Shenmue 1 usually gets blamed for killing Segas being in the hardware business, I think it's fairer to see that Saturn killed Sega from a business standpoint. They were never going to invest in the DC like they did the Saturn cause PS1 mopped the floor with Saturn in sales and popularity to a point where most casual gamers didn't even know Genesis had been replaced yet by a new console yet everyone had N64 and PS1. I still think it's possible that PS2 may have trampled the DC since people buy hype mostly, but I think DC could have been profitable and competed at least against Nintendo. Think about it, if Dreamcast would would kept going it's possible that PS2 may have been the worst seller of that gen once the Xbox came along and crushed it with its specs. Nintendo and Sega would have been alternative brands tailored towards their demographics: Nintendo young kids and Sega teenagers and there wouldn't be need for two brands that focus on adult content and Xbox had the better console bar none from a tech standpoint, but Segas departure allowed PS2 to get a foothold and that had caused the overhype underdeliver effect that Sony has done with every single console except PS1. They took advantage of a good opportunity right when gaming was becoming more than just a child's hobby like it was in the 80s and 90s. Kudos to them, I just wish they'd stop overhyping each console and charging more than Xbox each gen while selling consoles that are technically less powerful and capable than their Xbox counterparts. Also, this current PS5 $70 game thing is the same as what Apple does with the iPhone. The less powerful machine wants you to pay more for the 'privilege' of playing on their console. I could see that being worth it if the console was twice as powerful as Xbox Series X, or even if it was at least just as powerful.

Well that can happen. With the limited information I had back then the downfall of Sega came unexpected. I would have not have believed anybody if the he told me that Sonic would appear on the gamecube. According to the gaming mags it looked quite good for Sega in 2000. The Sega E3 showcase was voted by some german gaming mag as the best of the year. And even in November of 2000 the PR Lady of Sega Germany sounded quite confident about fighting the PS2 in the Christmas buesines. When i finally learned about the end of Sega as a console company I was shocked. Did not see that coming.

And yes I have seen enough footage of Lost legacy to be rather certain that I am going to enjoy it. It really looks cool.
I was just as shocked when Sonic Adventure 2 and Sonic Heroes showed up on GameCube. I was also disappointed because Sega somewhat turned their back on their customers by not giving us at least a full 6 year gen run, although if they were doing bad financially behind closed doors I completely understand it now as an adult, but as a youngster, I did not. I was just as shocked that DC failed too because info didn't travel fast like it does now and there was no reason commercially from what we could see back then that suggested Sega was struggling. If Google Stadia or Amazon Luna disappeared tomorrow I wouldn't be shocked, and in fact I'll bet $5 that both of those services will flop. I'm actually shocked Stadia is still around. Sega though? In 1999? Hell no.

I pretty much got my PS4 for Bloodborne. I may have never finished it but it’s still worth it. :p I guess it’s the same for Sekiro and, to a lesser extent, Metal Wolf Chaos XD.

As a complimentary console to the Switch, it started out pretty good at least. Lots of decent third party games out there for sure and many more remakes or remasters.

All the Yakuza games and spinoffs, EDF games, Nier Automata and Replicant, Last Guardian and Shadow of the Colossus, Disaster Report 4, plenty to enjoy.

However, there is one niche Sony seems to have turned its back on and they have made it quite clear I’m not part of the audience they want, so I won’t be bothering with the PS5. I certainly won’t be getting the Neptunia X Senran Kagura crossover unless it’s released on PC or Switch, and that has been the same with many other adult themed anime style games - especially those that have received retroactive censorship like Estival Versus or Dead or Alive Xtreme 3. There’s really no need and they have no right when rating boards already exist to warn people of what content these games may have. It’s disgusting, especially with the blatant hypocrisy with games such as Last of Us 2 having actual filth on full display.

Amazingly... PS4 became my favorite console of all time.

I know.... I know... I wasn't expecting it either.

Now, this isn't because of all the new IPs that cropped up like Ghost of Tsushima, Horizon, A Plague Tale and For Honor. No... it's largely due to how existing IPs were handled. We got reimaginings the likes of God of War. We got spiritual successors like Wreckfest. We got long awaited and shockingly good sequels like Streets of Rage 4, Sonic Mania and even Shenmue 3. We got incredible direct sequels like Uncharted 4, Lost Legacy, and Witcher 3. We got incredible remakes like Final Fantasy 7 Remake and Resident Evil 2 Remake. Then we had tons of great ports like Resident Evil Remake, Uncharted Collection, Shenmue Collection, Tomb Raider DE, and many many more.

Then we had an affordable and well sustained VR headset with great games like Star Trek Bridge Crew, and Moss. The controller was great and the hardware was reliable; my launch (2013) PS4 still works and was gifted to my kid this last Christmas.

PS4... Sony did everything right. From hardware to software. There were very few draughts in gaming. The end users were taken care of on all levels. PS Plus often had some great giveaways as well; especially at the end of the generation.

Now we have PS5 and if it couldn't play my PS4 collection... it would be a dust collector. Sony is now doing a lot of things wrong... chief among them... not communicating.

Is the Phil Spencer way really the better way? Keep Talking and Talking and Talking without having anything in store for the next years?

Sony did the same thing during the ps4, they talked and talked and the games were still years way. They also got bashed for it massively. Now Sony is listening to the critics and just talks about things that will happen in the near future and are stillt get bashed.

Poor Sony cannot win.

I hated the american way the ps4 was marketed. I cannot take 50 year old man seriously wearing a T shirt with video game character and pretend to be hardcore gamer. That it is so weird. But Sony gained many fans in that gen so they want the show master way to continue.

I prefer the old Sony as they were in the ps1 and ps2 era. Not approachable not hip in a teenage way just being electronics company doing their own stuff at their own terms.

That made them big in the first place. During the ps1 era they ignored the back then rules of gaming and made their own . That made them big. Being orginal and not copy cat.

The management is similar to the old one. If they are going to be as successful as the original SCE needs to be determined of course.

And just to make some things clear. I do not want to make fun your opinion @Telekill . Nothing wrong with that . I respect different opinions and there is no need to force my opinion on everybody.

But as a observer of the gaming internet madness it is really funny how often people change their mind totally. During the PS4 days Sony was bad because they showed the same games for years on the events and have nothing new to show. It was said they announce games way too soon.

Now apparently Sony listened to that critic and now all of a sudden the old one was totally fine.:joycat:

I can understand the wish to be informed. I would not be unhappy about a roadmap to tell me if the 499 invested in the Ps5 were worth the money.

So far the ps5 feels like a new pc and not like a next gen console. A necessary purchase because the old pc is not up to the it's tasks anymore. But it does not feel a next gen console at all. It totally lacks the feeling to play games that were not possible before.

But we live in senstive times. The pandemic screwed up everything. Also the games industry. We live in a day and age were games take 5 to 6 years to make. It takes much longer to bring games on the market. So the old news cycle is not valid anymore.

Dry periods with no games announced are going to be more common.

That is the new reality of game development. The only way to bypass is having a pr showmaster that keeps talking and talking without having anything substantial to say. MS is great at that. But it is just show. No new substantial information about the games are released.

It might be good for some fan boys but there is no practical use. The games are not finished faster just because you keep talking about them for many years before you can play them.

Last edited:
Sony did the same thing during the ps4, they talked and talked and the games were still years way. They also got bashed for it massively. Now Sony is listening to the critics and just talks about things that will happen in the near future and are stillt get bashed.
Oh, I fully understand that. I wasn't a fan of the "wait 3 years and only show the same two games every show" way of doing things they did but I didn't really bash them for it. That was me though. I very much saw what you're describing on forums everywhere. I also get that the pandemic has thrown a wrench into everything. That said, the PS5 roadmap right now has a distinct message... don't bother buying a PS5 yet. That's good news for those that have yet to buy one. It's not great news for those of us that bought at launch. It reminds me how the PSV was handled; the worst Playstation ever released. I don't want a repeat of that.

They've stated what... 20+ games in development? We know of 3 which are also coming to PS4; great news for PS4 owners. It simply continues to make the last gen system great and continues its lifespan. I find it odd that Sony has nothing to show for PS5 specifically releasing within a year (perfectly acceptable time frame of waiting) that we don't know about. That tells me that aside from the games we know (Horizon 2, God of War 2, and GT7), those 20+ games in development... we won't see them until at least 2023 and even those may be on PS4 as well; making PS5 essentially a PS4 Pro Pro.

I think what Sony need to do at this point is state that they decided there will be no more generations and only the ecosystem. This is essentially what they've adopted already... a PC-like non-generational ecosystem where almost every game is available on every Playstation but there are iterations of power increases for better framerates and resolution. The only barrier that they will have to worry about crossing is when UE5 becomes used regularly as I don't believe PS4 is set to handle it yet. That could merely be a patch in the future. We'll see.

I was talking in more general way. It was not my intention to that you bashed Sony for that but many people in the internet do. I really love the gaming internet always gives a good laugh. Better than any comidy show. it i good though that we have forums like this were real discusions are still possible even when there are different opinons.

and I think you are right with that no more generation stuff. The ps5 is already pointless at that point. I somehow regret buying it. Not a bad machine but not worth 500 Euro in a gaming sense. I regret wasting money on it from a gaming perspective because it is pointless but from the perspective of a mulimedia device it is worth the money. The old ps4 from 2013 won't live forever and I do not have another dvd or 4k Blu Rayer player so it is fine. But as a gaming machine the ps5 is a disappointment yet. No real next gen games, no next gen feelings. It just feels plane boring. See the new PC analogy I used few times already.

Sony needs to be more honest. I would not say the really screwed the customers (nothing can be Sega on that unfortutuantely with killing of their consoles way to soon) but many people including myself bought the Ps5 with the premise to get another classic next gen console. And so far the ps5 is nothing like that. It is more like getting another graphics card. Nothing really changes concerning the games. It smells like the ps2 again. That console was also not the tech that Sony promised.

The ps5 could get some good games but no breath taking next gen tech. Just features like resolution and Framerate. I care the the least about that thing in gaming so I am not gonna be impressed. But I am still hopping for some good game. A good game is good game even when it just uses low tech hardware from the past. As retro gamer I am fine with that.

Last edited:
and I think you are right with that no more generation stuff. The ps5 is already pointless at that point. I somehow regret buying it. Not a bad machine but not worth 500 Euro in a gaming sense. I regret wasting money on it form a gaming perspective because it is pointless but from the perspective of a mulimedia device it is worth money. The old ps4 from 2013 won't live forever and I do not have another dvd or 4k Blu Rayer player so it is fine. But as a gaming machine the ps5 is a disappointment yet. No real next gen games, no next gen feelings. It just feels plane boring. See the new PC analogy I used few times already.

The ps5 could get some good games but no breath taking next gen tech. Just features like resolution and Framerate. I care the the least about that thing in gaming so I am not gonna be impressed. But I am still hopping for some good game. A good game is good game even when it just uses low tech hardware from the past. As retro gamer I am fine with that
Agreed... and it is good to be able to have civil discussions. I think humanity is long overdue for coming back to being civil to one another; even when not face to face. That's another discussion entirely though.

PS5 will eventually have great games and the purchase of one will eventually be worth it. Right now though... it's as you say... a mere upgrade instead of a true next gen system.

@Hiki Since you like role-playing video games given your threads about Final Fantasy and the Tales of series, I would recommend you try out the mini-sub franchise created by Tokyo RPG Factory, a subsidiary of Square Enix. I think you might like I am Setsuna as I surely did.

@Hiki Since you like role-playing video games given your threads about Final Fantasy and the Tales of series, I would recommend you try out the mini-sub franchise created by Tokyo RPG Factory, a subsidiary of Square Enix. I think you might like I am Setsuna as I surely did.

I remember seeing this game somewhere, looks really good, thanks for the recommendation.

One of my favorite consoles ever, beaten only by the Dreamcast and maybe the Mega Drive. Such a massive amount of great Games.
Persona 5
Trails of Cold Steel 3 and 4
Yakuza 0 and 6
The Shenmue 1 & 2 remasters
The Last Guardian
(New) Sakura Wars
and a lot more.

Also the PS4 had Shenmue 3, which is not a good game imho, but still my most anticipated game ever.

Back