Q&A with Shenmue Composer Ryuji Iuchi (ENG translation) Part 2/2

Switch

Shenmue analysis at www.phantomriverstone.com
This is the second part of the fan Q&A with Ryuji Iuchi from his end-of-year livestream.

Topics include: sources of inspiration for the Shenmue songs; the process of moving them onto the Dreamcast using MIDI data; how he started composing, performances with erhu musician Hiroko Suzuki & more.

Many of these questions were sourced from fans here at the Shenmue Dojo!

https://www.phantomriverstone.com/2021/01/q-with-composer-ryuji-iuchi-fan_14.html

performance.jpg

So which Shenhua track on the Orchestra Version Soundtrack is he talking about that was arranged by Hayato Matsuo?

The talk about FM music, chip music and streaming, how it used to be produced, how the samples were converted, the differences between each was fascinating. I would be lying if I didn't miss the era of chip/sample music for games. Streaming is cool and allows for more things, but I feel it's a bit boring technically and there was just a certain charm and character that's missing today that was present in those old days of chip.

So which Shenhua track on the Orchestra Version Soundtrack is he talking about that was arranged by Hayato Matsuo?
The arrangement attributed to Hayato Matsuo is on the Shenmue Orchestra Version CD.

Interesting, shame these were never more detailed, as in track by track.

Back