QTE or NO QTE ?

QTE or NO QTE ?

• Total voters
Didn't Shenmue copy QTE from Dragon's Lair ?

I believe Dragon's Lair used a system that was very similar to QTEs but not the same. As far as I know the QTE gameplay mechanic is attributed to Yu Suzuki.

I could be wrong though🤔

Shenmue coined the term, but it's not even the first SEGA game to use them

Yeah, QTEs were around for quite a while before Shenmue. Games like Dragon's Lair, Dragon's Lair 2, and Time Gal didn't have on-screen button prompts, but other FMV games like Space Ace, Road Blaster, and the Power Rangers game on Sega CD did. I feel like the idea to use them in Shenmue came specifically from their use in Dynamite Deka and Dynamite Deka 2, though.

The QTEs can be improved. I liked the idea of giving the player alternative ways to (for example) run either left or right when chasing the bad guys, like in Sh 1. I like the idea or giving the player more choices and perspectives of an action scene.

There's also times when QTEs become pointless, and it can ruin the entire atmosphere of a scene if not done properly.
Sometimes a cutscene is better.

The QTE sound-effect in Shenmue III was one small, but good improvement. A quieter sound compared to the loud blip-sound in 1 & 2.
Maybe they can have fewer QTEs in IV that are really good with more variety in its outcome rather than just pushing buttons as fast as possible. Because that is probably not considered ´fun´ to young newer players.

Sometimes it's the smaller changes to things that makes huge difference in the final product.
There are many ways a new system could be implemented.

They could easily fix the QTE's in S3 with a patch that adds a half second to the timing window. Why don't they do this?

I know I suggested this when the game first was released but they never patched it and now it’s unfortunately too late. This and the large translation errors around pivotal story moments are two outstanding issues I hope the mod community can resolve.

I know I suggested this when the game first was released but they never patched it and now it’s unfortunately too late. This and the large translation errors around pivotal story moments are two outstanding issues I hope the mod community can resolve.

What are the translations errors?

I just want them ever so slightly slower, but mostly I want CQTE back more.

I kinda think that QTEs becoming harder was an idea that Yu Suzuki had for Shenmue sequels.

As the story goes forward, Ryo faces more dangerous situations and enemies so it kinda makes sense that QTEs are much faster than before.
These QTEs kinda show that as a martial artist Ryo's reaction time has become faster. (And if the players have also become faster it also makes them feel more like Ryo)
Shenmue 2 also added a new kind of QTE that was harder than Shenmue 1 QTEs.

Yeah, this is an idea that sounds much better on paper than on action. But I think that's the main reason for getting faster QTEs in Shenmue 3.
In my opinion, the best way to fix that is to add a QTE difficulty setting. (So with that anyone that loves harder QTEs can select the harder difficulty setting)

I kinda think that QTEs becoming harder was an idea that Yu Suzuki had for Shenmue sequels.

It’s complete conjuncture from you but I’m just going to say that’s plain bullshit.

I mean one of the longest QTE segments is chasing a bag thief, with no real martial arts skills. The sad reality is the QTE’s in the game weren’t adequately play tested and are broken.

The one thing I do agree with is if there is a difficulty setting in Shenmue 4 QTE timing should be tied to that.

I was underwhelmed by the implementation of the QTEs in S3. QTEs have become a different beast in time, but I'm focused solely on their Shenmue role.

I do think they continued rightly the idea of QTEs for big fight moments (perhaps even better than the Don Niu fight, as it felt more practiced, thus satisfying), but I disliked three things (I mention all three not to repeat others' posts, but to stress the mix of problems, vs. just one):

a. Timing
They're too unforgiving, regardless of difficulty setting. I disagree in full with the suggestion that gamers "get slower" over time, so it's our fault for being in our 30s.* The Shenmue HD collection was the first game I played on my first Sony console, and the mental switch to their symbols vs. letters. I hardly remembered which button spared me from being slammed with a watermelon in the face in S2, but I had more time to react in S2 than S3, even once Playstation symbols grew familiar. The failures in S2 were stray, and there was no muscle memory at play.

b. Branching paths/options
I'm less concerned about this, esp. as I'd think S4 will likely be smaller, but the sense of "just get it right to move on" feels contrary to the reason they were implemented in the series in the first place. Not bad, but just "not quite Shenmue."

c. Shoehorning
While I didn't mind them in certain sequences, they often (not always, but often) felt like Chai's inclusion: inorganic, and for fan service. Imagine a scene in which you could bump into a Niaowu waitress or a Bailu kid and learn a secret, even if a one time chance. So too, they could be implemented in the side quests in an interesting manner: vs. screwing up one choice and ruining it all, maybe a sidequest could be completed if you manage a QTE.

I also agree with the idea of the CQTE returning, but only if the timing is balanced. I'm not saying Dreamcast perfect (just like some who demand "perfect Sonic physics" unreasonably) but something manageable.

*Edit: Obv. cognitive/motor functions can and do decline in time, but I mean that I'm skeptical of it being the chief excuse for so many of us thinking the S3 QTEs are harder.

Last edited:
Yea the qtes are for sure off in 3 I had hardly any issues in 1&2 hd collection on PS4 in 3 even when I was forced to memorize the button presses they just seamed off or delayed I wish they would patch them

Does anyone think we'll see a new patch when the game finally drops on Steam, etc? Probably not worth it a year out from release, but at the same, maybe worth it now that it'll go in front of a new audience?

Does anyone think we'll see a new patch when the game finally drops on Steam, etc? Probably not worth it a year out from release, but at the same, maybe worth it now that it'll go in front of a new audience?
I've got it on good authority no patches are currently planned.

Shenmue without QTEs would be like...

Initial D without the Eurobeat
Cowboy Bebop without the jazz
Yakuza without Kamurocho
Sonic without rings
Knuckles without showing us de wae
Street Fighter without Hadoukens
Mortal Kombat without fatalities
Pokemon without Pikachu
Final Fantasy without airships (wait, XV did that!)
Jojo without the poses
A shitty Ghostbusters remake

Back