Question about Tony, Smith, and the other sailors

Favourite title
Shenmue II
Hey everyone,
There's something about Shenmue I, that I'm kind of confused about. You know Tony, Smith and the other sailors that were at Heartbeats and were in disc 1 a lot? And they had some fights and there was a chase with Tony and Smith at the harbor? Were they part of the Mad Angels or were they part of their own gang?

Their character bios in the Passport and the strategy guides say that they're part of their own gang and that Harry Thompson is the leader. But they seem to know a lot about the Mad Angels and even Tony knew Pedro Warren during the chase with him. And of course both Tony and Smith know the leader is Terry.

So its really confusing due to the bios, I always assumed they were part of their own gang, but they seem to know a lot about the Mad Angels? Unless their gang is somehow connected with the Mad Angels like how the Mad Angels and Yellow Heads are connected with the Chi You Men?

I'm assuming they're part of their own gang due to the official information that was given, but if anyone knows for sure what their affiliation is that'd be great.

Moved for you :)

Mad Angels are a local gang based at the harbour. Tony, Smith, etc are sailors. It's likely the latter enable the former to operate, but the MAs work with several other groups of sailors for their smuggling operations. Both can be gangs that work together.

Tony, Smith et al are all pretty unsavoury characters, so it is no surprise their paths have crossed with the Mad Angels and the relationship has deepened beyond mere knowledge of existence. That the Mad Angels are based in the Harbour means the sailors would inevitably run into them at some point - just ask anyone at the Harbour about the Mad Angels and they shit their pants. Practically everyone in the area has either had a run-in with them or is at least aware of their existence. Combine the unsavoury personalities of the sailors, a violent gang looking to gain power and influence, and numerous articles of cargo that "fell off the back of a ship" that the sailors have access to and you have yourself a beneficial relationship.

TL;DR: The sailors are not Mad Angels; they are merely acquaintances.

Yeah, in the S1 Prima and Versus guidebooks they are not listed under the ‘Mad Angels’ section of character profiles, so they are not members per say but seem to be associated with them to some degree

They just help facilitate their smuggling as they have access to the ship. When Ryo questions Tony and Smith towards the end, they say the "boss of the mad Angels knows" and not "our boss" knows suggesting that they aren't actually apart of the gang

Last edited:
^Sailors. Boys for rent. Somebody else make the joke, I'm gettin too old for the banhammer.

Back