spud1897

Administrator
Favourite title
Shenmue II
Currently playing
Destiny 2, Shenmue HD ;)
PSN
spud19870
OK so disclaimer first, I've not got an interview lined up or have even approached the idea yet.

But in the event I do I'm looking for a few questions from the community that I could propose.

Comment below and I will use some (full credits awarded if this gets off the ground) in any proposal that I may send over.

Over to you guys :)

This is really nice, it would be amazing if this happen. I will comment some questions here.

Why Baisha was cut out of the game?

How many games do you need to finish the Shenmue story in a satisfying way for you?

Bailu Village was inspired by a real village?

One time you said... "If i continued to do one chapter per game i would not complete Shenmue in my lifetime." So there was a time that you thought of making one game for each chapter and each location?

You have plans to release The Legend Of Akira novels for the fans someday? it would be nice to see your original ideas, characters and places that you had to cut out of the games, the content of that time looks really beautiful. The character Ming Ming looks really interesting, the places Baisha, Luoyang, Pagoda forest and many more looks amazing.

If i remember other questions i will put here in this thread.

Last edited:
Have you, and everyone at YS Net, been keeping well during this pandemic?

What inspirations (films, novels) were used when creating the Shenmue games?

Could we see any cut ideas for Shenmue 3 (e.g. snail races, Warring Kingdoms siege event) in future games?

Serious question: Was the end of Shenmue II always intended to end in Guilin? I ask, because any other game would have the game finish with the climactic boss battle in Kowloon. Even 20 years later, to have the final hours of a game be among the most calming is a masterstroke.

Bonus question: Is there any additional way we can offer support for Shenmue IV?

Humourous question: WHY WON'T RYO SHARE NOZOMI'S AFFECTIONS?!?! :(

Is there Is there any additional way we can offer support for Shenmue IV?

Why was the look of Ryo changed in the Dreamcast build compared to the Saturn build ( he looked younger there and was not wearing his jacket)?

If is not possible to finish the Shenmue Saga as a game which alternative medium would you prefer to concludethe Story line ? Novel, Manga or Anime)

Why is Ryo still wearing the patch on his face in Shenmue 2 and 3? The wound should have been healed by the time Shenmue 2 and 3 takes place. Is there a Story behind the patch?

Ok that's it for know. That is a great idea by the way @spud1897 Good luck with that and I hope you can make your idea a reality.

I keep this open-ended on purpose, but I'd be interested in his experience of having developed games with modern systems (i.e., post-Shenmue tech vs. the in-house Sega tech/arcade machines, etc.) and how that affected the development of S3-- things he misses, things he prefers, etc. How does an early innovator and near perfectionist react to modern development tools?

Is there any additional way we can offer support for Shenmue IV?

It would be nice to know if we can offer support for Yu Suzuki to complete Shenmue. The Shenmue community is one of the most passionate communities i know, we never give up and this is beautiful, i would like to help.

I think a kickstarter will never happen again but i think there are other ways to help Yu Suzuki with this, we just need to know how.

If is not possible to finish the Shenmue Saga as a game which alternative medium would you prefer to concludethe Story line ? Novel, Manga or Anime)

I would like to know his opinion about this as well.

I tought about more questions...

In my opinion Shenmue is a slow pace story that what is the most important is to see Ryo's journey, to see Ryo travelling, meeting new people, making friends/bonds and learning with them along the way, Ryo developing as a martial artist and as a character, what is the most important is not the destination, what is the most important is the journey, how do you feel about that? for you the Shenmue story is about this things as well?

Imagine for a moment that you have all the opportunities in the world to make all the Shenmue games you want, without having to cut out things and compromising your visions about the story, this way in your mind how many games do you think it would be the entire Shenmue story?

What is your favorite characters in the Shenmue story?

What is your favorite Shenmue game?

Last edited:
Has yu suzuki considered getting into Cryptocurrency Gaming? Its in its early stages and is making millions of dollars everyday. No big publisher has jumped on board yet, so there may be some massive potential for ysnet to jump in and take a good portion of the market

Why the change in Shenhua's looks and personality between S2 and S3?
I saw in a written interview somewhere that he changed the look of Shenhua to make it more realistic instead of having her wear the same clothes from 2 throughout the games just like how you can customize Ryo’s clothes in 3, it was to make the characters more grounded in reality.

I saw in a written interview somewhere that he changed the look of Shenhua to make it more realistic instead of having her wear the same clothes from 2 throughout the games just like how you can customize Ryo’s clothes in 3, it was to make the characters more grounded in reality.
Yeah, it's mentioned here...
“‘And with Shenhua in particular, her home is located nearby; so if her clothes always stay the same, it would imply she only owns one costume – that wouldn’t do!’

Suzuki added that he wants to ‘create some good designs’ for Shenhua’s clothing, and team up with an actual clothes designer for the task.” - (http://seganerds.com/2016/04/24/yu-...acter-perspective-system-soundtrack-and-more/)
Really just because of realism then. Looking at old concept art, I think Shenhua switching outfits was an idea they toyed with even back on Dreamcast.

1633506248017.png1633506296119.png1633506375387.png1633506434710.png

Back