Questions for a Potential Yu Suzuki Written Interview

Yes it would have been really cool if Shenhua could change her outfit. i especially like the old style outfit of her (Ancient Chinese clothing ??).

I saw in a written interview somewhere that he changed the look of Shenhua to make it more realistic instead of having her wear the same clothes from 2 throughout the games just like how you can customize Ryo’s clothes in 3, it was to make the characters more grounded in reality.

Also, I dont think her personality changed...?

1. Are you able to go into more detail about the proposed skill tree system and character perspective system that were proposed for Shenmue 3, but unfortunately were not able to be implemented?
2. Shenmue 4 please.

Can we cool it on the cut content questions? I feel like it's highly unlikely that he would answer them. He could be planning them for S4, he could've already forgotten about them, or he would find it rude to ask him so much about the failures of S3. I think he would prefer to talk about stuff that doesn't remind him of the game's mixed reception.

@Hiki Baisha was cut and repurposed into the castle due to Deep Silver wanting to release Shenmue III as soon as possible. Suzuki has stated that by the end of Shenmue III only forty percent of the story is complete and that it will take two more titles to complete the narrative. And yes, while others can provide a more granular answer; Bailu was inspired by real-life villages.

As for my questions:

I). What will the anime cover?

II). Why were you not be able to incorporate the Virtua Fighter engine for Shenmue III?

III). In future titles, will we learn the meaning of the prophecy, the relationship between Sunming Zhao and Iwao Hazuki, what happened to Ziming Hong, the meaning behind the Shenmue tree, the mirrors, Shenhua's powers, and the Tiger Scroll?

IV). Will the Darts minigame, the Hazuki katana, and tape player make a return?

V). Do you have a contingency plan if you can not finish Shenmue as a video game?

VI). Which Asian philosophies, lore, and martial arts did you draw upon when creating the Shenmue franchise? And of these elements which do plan to incorporate in future iterations of the series?

VII). In what ways do you think that the gaming industry can evolve? Do you have any new ideas for innovation or where the industry can improve?

VIII). What would you say to individuals who aspire to get into the industry? In what ways has gaming changed in your opinion?

IX). Before 2015, how many times did you try to revive Shenmue with different companies or within SEGA?

X). Finally, when will we get Shenmue IV and V?

And this is not a question, but if you could convey that Yu Suzuki is a hero of mine who has my utmost respect. That his games were a huge part of my childhood and that I will always be grateful for that.

Last edited:
Can we cool it on the cut content questions? I feel like it's highly unlikely that he would answer them. He could be planning them for S4, he could've already forgotten about them, or he would find it rude to ask him so much about the failures of S3. I think he would prefer to talk about stuff that doesn't remind him of the game's mixed reception.

First i want to say that i'm not here to fight i just need to say something about this.

Why you trying to dictate how others should ask the questions? this is not nice and i really don't understand this. Of course people should respect Yu Suzuki in the questions, i respect him a lot and i think everyone in this thread are being respectful with the questions so not a problem here so please don't try to dictate how others should make the questions, and i'm sure if some question have a problem the people here of the staff will talk about it.

I was one of the people that did questions about the VF RPG Days and some cut content like why Baisha was cut out of Shenmue III, and if he have plans to release The Legend Of Akira novels someday for the fans, other people did as well, if he say he can't answer it's fine, people are being respectful with this questions but please stop trying to dictate others on how they make the questions, this is really not nice, but again just to be clear i'm not here to fight i just needed to say this.

@Hiki Baisha was cut and repurposed into the castle due to Deep Silver wanting to release Shenmue III as soon as possible. Suzuki has stated that by the end of Shenmue III only forty percent of the story is complete and that it will take two more titles to complete the narrative. And yes, while others can provide a more granular answer; Bailu was inspired by real-life villages.

So it really feels that Yu Suzuki wanted to do more with the game but Deep Silver wanted to release Shenmue III as soon as possible, i think i saw that about two more games and about Bailu i never saw that it was inspired by real-life villages, i never saw Yu Suzuki talking about this.

Thanks Tsukuyomimagi99 😊

EDIT: @Tsukuyomimagi99 Was really nice and emotional the ending of your post about Yu Suzuki being a hero to you, that you have respect for him and much more, i feel similar things about Yu Suzuki and i really hope Yu Suzuki can know how you feel, this is really special. 😊

And now i have an idea for myself about this as well.

@spud1897 if you pick one of my questions can you please say to Yu Suzuki how much i respect him? and that Shenmue helps me dealing with my mother's death and other losses i had in my life, that i will always be grateful for that and for everything he did in the game industry, that i will always support him.

I really wish that i can say this things for Yu Suzuki someday, this means a lot to me but if is not possible to do this in this interview i will understand, thank you.

Last edited:
Can we cool it on the cut content questions?
giphy.gif

Don't think it's unreasonable to say the cut content questions are a little pointless, if only because Suzuki-san is probably unlikely to be able to answer them directly. If people want to probe on those topics some rephrasing might be necessary to make them less pointed to goad an answer of some kind.

On that note what I'd like to ask is:

a.) Besides the wooden dummy cafe, what was the craziest idea you had for Shenmue III that had the team staring at you in disbelief?

b.) In a March 2021 interview you said YsNet were in the process of performing technology research, have you been trying out the UE5 preview build, and if so what do you make of it so far?

Ultimately I think it's up to the discretion of the mods whether they choose to ask such questions. People were merely asked to offer up their suggestions, and the mods will surely choose which ones they feel are most appropriate to ask if the interview goes ahead, instead of asking every single one.

Yu-san has been asked about cut material before (Saturn version, Boat chapter) and we weren't concerned about offending his unrealised visions then, so I don't understand why people's ideas here (Baisha etc) are being called unreasonable. Feels a bit unfair.

Anyway, I think we've exhausted the cut content topic, so up to the mods if they decide to touch on that subject.

People are being respectful here with this questions so i don't know why dictate like this on how people should ask the questions, this is really not nice, is up to the staff here if they will choose the questions or not.

I will show now what is disrespectful, this is disrespectful, this person commented this on the official Shenmue III channel, this comment is disgusting and no one is talking about Yu Suzuki like this here, people are being respectful with the questions here.

1633608418394.png

Let me give an example, look at this question...

Yu Suzuki-san, Luoyang looks a beautiful and interesting city, do you have plans to put Luoyang in the next games?

If he say he can't awnser it's fine but the questions about cut content are not disrespectul at all, if the staff decide to not choose this questions it's okay but please let people create the questions here, don't try to dictate that please, thank you.

Last edited:
People are being respectful here with these questions so I don't know why to dictate like this how people should ask the questions, this is not nice, is up to the staff here if they will choose the questions or not.

I will show now what is disrespectful, this is disrespectful, this person commented this on the official Shenmue III channel, this comment is disgusting and no one is talking about Yu Suzuki like this here, people are being respectful with the questions here.

View attachment 13014

Let me give an example, look at this question...

Yu Suzuki-san, Luoyang looks like a beautiful and interesting city, do you have plans to put Luoyang in the next games?

If he says he can't answer it's fine but the questions about cut content are not disrespectful at all, if the staff decide to not choose these questions it's okay but please let people create the questions here, don't try to dictate that please, thank you.
I would not let it bother you so much as you can not control people. If this person is genuine in their short-sighted views and not a troll then just let them be. You can show someone all the evidence to the contrary and they will still cling to their beliefs. After all, one can not reason with emotion.

I would not let it bother you so much as you can not control people. If this person is genuine in their short-sighted views and not a troll then just let them be. You can show someone all the evidence to the contrary and they will still cling to their beliefs. After all, one can not reason with emotion.

I agree with you but this is not bothering me at all, i just needed to say that, to let the people create the questions without someone trying to dictate them but now this subject is over to me. Thank you for your words and advice. 😊

My two questions (for now):
  • Technically speaking, do you think it would have been feasible to port Shenmue I and II to the Playstation 2? Would you have liked to try it as a technical challenge?
  • After Shenmue III was released, is there still a big amount of unused music from the original days as a Sega project?
Edit: (a third one)
  • When you conceived the whole storyline for the games, did you already envision specific types of gameplay attached to every story beat? (for example the dense open world for chapter one, the maze-like building traversing of Kowloon, or the strategic battle that had to be in the Baisha chapter for Shenmue III) Or were they conceived afterwards?.

Last edited:
Does Suzuki have a martial arts background, if so, what does or has he practiced?
What is his favorite technique from Shenmue?
How would Ryo do in K-1 or MMA today?
If Shenmue were to become a movie, who does he think would make a good Ryo?
How often does he visit Yokosuka? What does he like to do there? What's his favorite place there?
What's his favorite place in China?
Will he attempt to make PSY-PHI again?
If he could make Shenmue all over again, what changes would he make?
If Shenmue were to be released on Saturn, would it have been a Japan only game or would it have had a worldwide release?

Back