Rain is a little too transparent?

Is it just me or rain is a little too trasparent.
I only got two days on rain (not heavey rain), and the rain drop effect was barely visible while walking.

What do you think?

I only got two days on rain (not heavey rain), and the rain drop effect was barely visible while walking.

What do you think?

you see it in the puddles but not on the NPC's. Ryo's jackets will get wet, even his shirt and pants (black jeans will be way more noticable as well as the satin jackets) but its no where near the amount of wet visibility of Fighting EX Layer's castle stage (which also uses Unreal Engine 4). I imagine there's less mechanics going on in FEXL using UE4 than Shenmue 3 is which probably has to compromise certain things. Correct me if I'm wrong but I coulda sworn in Shenmue 1, NPC's would pull out umbrellas when it rained?

One other thing I notice which they need to fix:

The barber shop mirrors will reflect Ryo (though its not his actual character model; its a super low res version semi hidden with a foggy mirror) but the reflection is wrong: it actually shows Ryo's back if you're staring into it and if you turn your back to the mirror, it'll show his front.

What do you think?

Yep, I did notice this actually. I could hear it, but I had to pan the camera into a certain angle so I could see the rain against a dark object.

There is a light rain and a heavier rain, for what it's worth. But I agree that the light rain in Shenmue 3 is hard to detect.

It was really hard to notice in Bailu, but it looked much more noticeable in Niaowu. Offhand I didn't notice if there were different levels of rain so I'm not sure if that was a factor.

The rain has several issues i think.

- barely visible (i doubt it's even particle rain)
- no splashes
- very bad outdoor/indoor transition <- this could be the reason they made it so hard to see.
- too many puddles / wet floor - even indoor
- apparently they don't have umbrellas in Guilin?
- sun shines very brightly during daytime rain makes it even harder noticeable.

Whats kind of funny is if you turn the graphic settings to low on PC, the rain stands out a LOT more. The muddy footprints people leave while walking around are also much more noticeable.

I think they are using just two scrolling textures one for foreground and one for background and not particle effects, so making it a lot more opaque would "reveal the trick".

It's serviceable, but not that good, they use the same scrolling normals for everything and it looks ok on certain places / certain angles, but upclose it's not that great and the lack of splashes makes it stand out more.

I confirm it's not a particle effect, too bad because Unreal 4 can handle particles without issues, but maybe frame rate was the problem so they choose a plain effect?

I think it's a problem also with the FOV of the camera, because when you speak with someone, the rain is much more visible, and it's not bad.

I had just one really heavy downpour during my playthrough and it looked and sounded stunning. Rain dripped off the edge of the buildings, when you were indoors you could here it chucking it down inside, just generally really cool

The light rain effect is very hard to see. Shame those heavy downpours are so rare as they add a lot of atmosphere

wheather is also random so it's difficult to check, I tried to play the same day with the same save file, once I got heavy rain (don't think it was heavy downpour since rain was still too transparent, but it was rain sound was loud), when i reloaded the file in another session, the same in-game day had clear sky.

I had a heavy downpour in Niaowu today and it looked and sounded amazing...apart from the rain itself, which I couldn't see at all (base PS4)...maybe it was because I was in the thin alley outside of the dummy cafe, which they may set as "indoor" to avoid rain falling inside the shops, or something.

You can hear it but can't see it unless if you really pay attention. Who ever was in charge of the visual side really fucked it up.

Silly confession: my Ryo wears his white T-shirt alone to get Shenmue Saturn vibes and I put his jacket on when rain falls. My perception of humidity was subtlety boosted.

I don't think anyone mentioned it but I got rain while the sky was perfectly blue... The rain occurred all the day, from waking up to sleep, with different intensities.

Probably just a bug.

When you run along Sunflower Grove when it rains, the muddy road there looks pretty good wet. Quite believable.

Its just that for some reason they went light on the rain effect on the main character models clothes. None at all for NPCs and not wetness on any of their hair or face

Omg the rain does still not want to stop in my game. And again, sky is blue.

Can you confirm it's scripted? I have to meet the
fisherman master
for the first time. My initial plan was to wait a clearer weather before progressing the plot.

Back