Random Gaming Thoughts

I still have my HOTD2 and Confidential Mission. Love both dearly. PS2 has a bundle of great lightgun games as well.

Funnily enough, this leads into something I was experimenting with today. So I got a PSVR headset last Black Friday and between Death Stranding and Shenmue 3 its taken until now to even open it. And I'm blown away by how immersive some of these experiences are. Won't replace me playing games the way I do now, but as an added accessory? Its a really cool thing to have.

And one genre that works really cool with it is lightgun games. There's a heist demo that I tried that had a really impressive shootout onn the roads of London. Its only a short demo but it really pulled me in. There's several other VR lightgun shooters out there I want to try now!

VR has interested me but not really enough to sink so much money into any variation of it so far. Only PS games I can think of I’d want for it are really just small features in bigger games, like the Last Guardian Trico demo thing or the extra mode in Dead or Alive Xtreme 3...so, just not really worth it to me.

I have been curious to look up some other info on what could become of VR in the future, and some stuff turned out to be focused on touch/feel/texture/etc. Probably not feasible for most devs to add yet another layer of detail to their games unless it was built around this idea in the first place, but it’s something I’d find more immersive.

I’ve been curious about making the VR lunge. I keep seeing the PSVR at relatively decent prices around me, but I just haven’t pulled the trigger. I still think it’s too bulky in its setup. You need the camera set up, then you need that seperate processing box, then you need the actual VR unit. To be honest, it’s just a bit of a mess to me and makes me not want to jump in. I’ll wait for PS5 and see if they clean it up with the inevitable PSVR 2. Hopefully they can streamline it and make the overall experience better.

Yeah, wires are the things worst enemy at the moment. The processing box is pretty damn small though, so it wasn't a hassle to install in my setup. The camera is a pain though, definitely the most annoying part of the setup (other than the wires that is). But I got the thing on sale, I wouldn't pay full price for it, mainly due to next gen being next year but so far I've been very happy with my purchase.

I’ve been curious about making the VR lunge. I keep seeing the PSVR at relatively decent prices around me, but I just haven’t pulled the trigger. I still think it’s too bulky in its setup. You need the camera set up, then you need that seperate processing box, then you need the actual VR unit. To be honest, it’s just a bit of a mess to me and makes me not want to jump in. I’ll wait for PS5 and see if they clean it up with the inevitable PSVR 2. Hopefully they can streamline it and make the overall experience better.
This is where I'm at too. I have no doubt VR is probably pretty cool, but the current form factor is too bulky/multifaceted/inconvenient and costly for me.

One of my favourite things to come out of this decade is the small story that’s been playing over the last three to four years of No Man’s Sky quietly re-building its reputation and the developers continuing to work on improving the game (which wasn’t even bad to begin with) when they probably could have just written it off and did something completely new. But yeah, it’s just nice.

One of my favourite things to come out of this decade is the small story that’s been playing over the last three to four years of No Man’s Sky quietly re-building its reputation and the developers continuing to work on improving the game (which wasn’t even bad to begin with) when they probably could have just written it off and did something completely new. But yeah, it’s just nice.

The same could be said about these two games.

Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter is free until I think the 3rd of January if you have twitch prime. I've been wanting to try this game out for a while so I snatched it up. Anyone already play this? Thoughts?

maybe a crap idea but ive always wondered why sony and/or microsoft never took advantage of there rumble feature in their controllers and apply it to movies/dvds when watched using a console? (as in a free download per movie via psn/xbox live)

i mean when i play a game and it switches to a in game video, its pretty immersive to feel a tank, helicopter or explosion & the rumble feature in controllers now can replicate lots of different effects.

- i just had a look and it seems netflix is experimenting with making phones rumble through movies but wouldnt a games controller be better?

I purchased a PSVR for me to watch my Blu-ray 3D-Movies i collected in the last years. I have the most important movies in 3D, like Jurassic Park 3D and Avatar, Hobbit, etc.. Today i was able to try out how it works and i think it's awesome. It's a very good compromiss between having a 3D-TV and watching on big screen. Sure, you don't have the Full-HD but you have the immersion and that's more important for me. It works awesome on the PS4 (normal). But i recignized i changed my position to 180 degrees because the screen seems to wandering. ^^ But the mainpoint is for me i can watch the movies without encoding them on a PC-VR. There are no more BD-Drives for PC. It makes fun to watch the movies with VR. And yes, i'm a very big 3D-Movie-Fan. ;-)

Beat Mighty No 9 for the first time after picking it up on the Steam sale (spent years stubbornly waiting for the Vita version even though I knew it wasn't going to happen). ngl, I thought it was pretty dang fun and even surprisingly well crafted in many areas. Yes it's dog ugly and the KS did a couple things that really ticked me off, but I liked the actual gameplay. Alright you can insult me now.

Summer Sweetheart...an interesting journey bought on a whim that has given more entertainment than I’d expected - mostly in its poor translation than anything else. Maybe not as good as Zone of the Enders 2 but it’s pretty close to being that hilarious at times.

In the meantine, the Sonic fangame based on Doom Engine is still getting updates since 1998:

If there is one thing I am envious of European gamers about, its the fact that you got Shinobido: Way of the Ninja for the PlayStation 2. Basically a shinobi game that surpassed the Tenchu series in terms of gameplay. All we got was its watered down sequel on the Vita.

If there is one thing I am envious of European gamers about, its the fact that you got Shinobido: Way of the Ninja for the PlayStation 2. Basically a shinobi game that surpassed the Tenchu series in terms of gameplay. All we got was its watered down sequel on the Vita.

They also got Deep Fear and Riven Myst on Saturn, although very late and quite rare and ridiculous expensive today. Not to mention, yknow, Headhunter/Shenmue 2/Evil Twin for Dreamcast.

Back