Random Gaming Thoughts

The most average, generic 5/10 JRPG in history. It isn't bad or anything, but it does nothing particularly well.
Awesome, just what I wanted to hear. I'm kind of enjoying the combat, but at the same time am growing (deeply) concerned that it's not expanding much...

Wonder when M2 is going to release Sonic 3 and Knuckles with modern improvements.

would of been better if it had a basic lcd screen to display ingame data like the old dreamcast.
Meh, even on the Dreamcast I hardly used it. All Sony had to do is make it bigger, change/remove the light bar that sucked the battery dry, haptic feedback on the triggers, keep the headphone jack and don't have opposable thumbsticks. They failed on the latter because of a stupid commitment to nostalgia.

I don't get it...

I:

1. Usually play with the controller plugged in.
2. When I do unplug it, it is never for more than 3-5 hours.
3. My controller has like an 8-10 hour lifespan, under these conditions.

Yet, I'm reading that people everywhere have issues with the battery life; I don't get it at all.

IMO, I like the opposable analogue sticks..

Sega seems to be having a "Retro sale" on Steam for today only. Of course, you should already have all these anyways. :p

I don't get it...

I:

Yet, I'm reading that people everywhere have issues with the battery life; I don't get it at all.

I like the stick placement if for no other reason than it gives the d-pad high priority placement. I don't know why, by d-pad just doesn't feel good placed lower down like it is on other controllers, effectively gimping them for 2D games imo (which is a lot of what I play).

As far as the PS5 controller in general goes... It's not bad, but I think I'll stick with my DS4 just because the handles look a little thick for my personal tastes.

Last edited:
I don't get it...

I:

My brother says my PS4 controller battery is messed up because I used unofficial chargers. Sounds like ball but he could be right. I've had multiple controllers and if find my self having to charge them at least once a day.

Can't believe you like the opposable analogue sticks! I understand if you don't mind them, but have you actually tried non-opposable ones and prefer the PS4 design? I don't play many FPS games now but it was especially noticeable switching from Xbox to PS4 when I did. On the PS4, my thumbs will literally touch each other.

I've appreciated the value for money video games give you (cost per year for a console and per hour for a game must be the best value for entertainment there is) so I've decided that I'll buy a stupidly priced PS4 controller with non-opposable sticks when it's released.

That might be the reason; I abhor FPSs and don't play them worth a crap lol.

Yakuza and 'mue III are the only things I've played on the PS4 and the opposable analogues are PERFECT for that, especially since the D-Pad is perfectly untouched as well and is big and beefy, so my muscle memory is like when I play the Genesis and Saturn.

Unofficial cables indeed **** everything up; when my wife and I were renting, the family upstairs had 2 grandkids, who NEVER used official cables.

Well, one of the lads (lol love writing that word!) had his controller die and his PS4 wasn't recognizing the controller, because it was too dead to get a BT connection and the chord being used, was a 3rd-party one (think it was a blackberry chord).

After lamenting and throwing a fit (that we could hear in the basement where we lived <_<), they asked for my help, I used the Sony chord and it worked IMMEDIATELY.

I guess that simply, sometimes, you need the right tools for the right job ;)

Playing Disaster Report 4.
It's incredible how much adds to the game being able to say a bunch of things even if it doesn't affect your game at all.
I also love how Japanese games are able to get away with the suspension of disbelief to just make weird and funny stuff.
Western games tend to take themselves too seriously, even when they're popcorn entertainment at best.

Why is it so hard to find a good multiplayer trivia game? Whether on mobile or console. Knowledge is Power on the PS4 is good but has fundamental flaws and those being you can't play it online nor can you turn off power plays which ruin most of the game but especially the end.

Downloaded to many on the Play Store but none work well. I just want something myself, wife and other family and friends can play together during this lockdown.

My TV is picking up the DC output at 720x480 for my new HDMI/VGA setup. People are saying it should be 640x480. Might have to reconfigure it.

Or is it expected?

When I set TV to 4x3 at 720x480 it seems right? a lot better then 16/9 at 720x480

Last edited:
My TV is picking up the DC output at 720x480 for my new HDMI/VGA setup. People are saying it should be 640x480. Might have to reconfigure it.

Or is it expected?

When I set TV to 4x3 at 720x480 it seems right? a lot better then 16/9 at 720x480

I've heard conflicting reports, but my setup both for scaling and capturing say 640. Heard 720 is a bit of a misnomer and common misconception?

I've heard conflicting reports, but my setup both for scaling and capturing say 640. Heard 720 is a bit of a misnomer and common misconception?

Maybe my TV doesn't support weird resolutions, which is weird cause its a brand new 55 inch Samsung RU7300 from 2019.

The box says it should definitely output at 640 but the TV is reading it at 720. it should be 3x2 at 720 not 4x3, which my TV doesn't support.

Are you looking at the scaler or TV? Better question, are you using a simple signal converter ala Behar Bros/Pound/etc or a scaler box? If you're not upscaling, then the TV--especially 2019--might think 640 is too small and force the internal scaler to output at 720, despite 4:3 boxing/cropping. If you're using a scaler ala OSSC/Framemeister/etc, then the on screen display of the unit itself should show 640 by my theory.

My scaler itself always says SOURCE 640x480 OUTPUT 1920x1080, then my TV will display 1080p. Same goes for my capture box and streaming software.

Last edited:
Back