Random Gaming Thoughts

The Last of Us Part 2 leak was instigated by hackers that found a security exploit in Naughty Dog's older games, according to multiple sources.

Journalist Jason Schreier tweeted to say that a patch in an older Naughty Dog game inadvertently allowed access to the developer's servers, allowing hackers outside of the company to access footage of devs playing a non-final build.

That corroborated a thread from an anonymous game developer, Pixelbutts, who had earlier claimed to know the initial hackers, and went into detail on the process they used to gain access. He also claims that the initial hackers were not responsible for the leak, but that their method of entry to Naughty Dog's servers was likely shared to those that disseminated the footage. Those leakers remain unknown publicly.

Pixelbutts subsequently told Kotaku that the exploit was fixed as of April 30. Neither Sony or Naughty Dog has made further comment on the situation since last week's statement.

Yeah...I don't know how much I buy those hacker claims. Also, Schrier is one to cry about leaks...considering he has done his fair share of leaking for cheap clicks.

A lot of this feels like damage control on Sony and ND's behalf. If I had to guess, I would say it was leaked, but maybe not by a Naughty Dog employee rather a low level QA grunt...or maybe the rumors are true and Naughty Dog staff are pissed. I just don't buy the "we was hacked" claims. Especially when their older PS3 games are no longer running servers. That just screams damage control to me.

I got to be honest, I actually don't know if I'm gonna bother with TLOU 2...I'm sure I'll play it eventually somewhere down the line...but I don't know if I'm all that interested or keen to pick it up day one. I think I'd rather put that money towards Ghost of Tsushima instead.

I was to see a Star Wars Kotor 1 + 2 collection on the Switch.

I've been saying the same! You can play them on Android and iOS (at least the first one is on Android - I don't know about the sequel), so why they haven't ported a collection to modern consoles is beyond me. I'd love a Switch version.

I'd take that rumoured Mass Effect Trilogy remaster too.

Is it worth me getting a HDMI 2.1 cable? I'm getting a new TV on Friday with the port. As I need longer cables, I am wondering if it's worth getting a 2.1 for my PS4 so when PS5 comes out, I can easily swap them over (TV is wall mounted with cables going through the wall). Or is it not worth it as it's only really for 8K setups?

im only doing the main missions but im about half way through death stranding. im liking it much more than i thought i would.. gameplay wise, i imagine its kinda like looking after a tamagotchi ( not that ive owned one lol).

only doing the main missions, i just completed death stranding (36h) its a strange game, story was messy and combat was weak but be honest i quite enjoyed trekking from location to location delivering packages.

one of the bosses (a soldier) could of easily been a metal gear solid boss. i would give the game 7/10

i would love to see kojima apply some these graphics and cinematic effects to a new action game.. something more grounded and traditional.

Last edited:
only doing the main missions, i just completed death stranding (36h) its a strange game, story was messy and combat was weak but be honest i quite enjoyed trekking from location to location delivering packages.

one of the bosses (a soldier) could of easily been a metal gear solid boss. i would give the game 7/10

i would love to see kojima apply some these graphics and cinematic effects to a new action game.. something more grounded and traditional.
I'm still on the fence whether I get it or not but the longer I go without playing it, the less chance I'll get it.

Question - what game have you completed the most times? Football games aside, for me it's probably Metal Gear Solid 2. I remember completing that so many times mainly because I wanted to try and fully understand that last codec conversation with the colonel, Rose and Raiden. Probably finished the game at least 20 times.

I'm still on the fence whether I get it or not but the longer I go without playing it, the less chance I'll get it.

considering you didnt like prometheus or alien covenant, i dont think your like death stranding lol. its a very experimental game.

without spoiling anything, plot wise, kojima tries to create his own world history and type of religion which probably makes sense to him but to the average gamer its just a mess. i couldnt help thinking what was going through the actors heads when they were saying their lines.. it couldnt of made sense to them lol, most of it is gibberish with the goal of helping the gamer try and make sense of the plot, which doesnt really work.. having said that there was one aspect of the story which was pretty cool.
a father / son story with a christopher nolan style twist
..like metal gear, if kojima just simply decided to create a story based on a japanese interpretation of a standard American horror genre (alien invasion etc), he could of made somethig much better.

but by the sounds of it, i dont think sony will be letting him create any more $100mil wacky games any time soon.. sony were pretty disappointed with death stranding sales.

.. one big complaint i have with kojima is that since mgs5, is that his games are now very disjointed.. i mean mgs1 to peacewalker, everything flowed, ie you would have a boss fight and it wouldnt feel out of place, you would even build upto it.. but with mgs5 & death stranding you get gameplay which just feels out of place and feels chucked in to keep fans happy.. one example..i mean take the fight against the metal gear in mgs3 ( which is amazing) and vs that against the metal gear in mgs5... the one in mgs5 is horrifically bad and wouldnt be out of place in Transformers. ... i still cant get my head around the fact the guy who created all the previous mgs games is making games like this now.:crying:

Last edited:
considering you didnt like prometheus or alien covenant, i dont think your like death stranding lol. its a very experimental game.

without spoiling anything, plot wise, kojima tries to create his own world history and type of religion which probably makes sense to him but to the average gamer its just a mess. i couldnt help thinking what was going through the actors heads when they were saying their lines.. it couldnt of made sense to them lol, most of it is gibberish with the goal of helping the gamer try and make sense of the plot, which doesnt really work.. having said that there was one aspect of the story which was pretty cool.
a father / son story with a christopher nolan style twist
..like metal gear, if kojima just simply decided to create a story based on a japanese interpretation of a standard American horror genre (alien invasion etc), he could of made somethig much better.

but by the sounds of it, i dont think sony will be letting him create any more $100mil wacky games any time soon.. sony were pretty disappointed with death stranding sales.

.. one big complaint i have with kojima is that since mgs5, is that his games are now very disjointed.. i mean mgs1 to peacewalker, everything flowed, ie you would have a boss fight and it wouldnt feel out of place, you would even build upto it.. but with mgs5 & death stranding you get gameplay which just feels out of place and feels chucked in to keep fans happy.. one example..i mean take the fight against the metal gear in mgs3 ( which is amazing) and vs that against the metal gear in mgs5... the one in mgs5 is horrifically bad and wouldnt be out of place in Transformers. ... i still cant get my head around the fact the guy who created all the previous mgs games is making games like this now.:crying:
Didn't Lindsay Wagner say straight up in an interview that she had no idea what the game was about?

On your other points I agree. The Metal Gear in 5 was more advanced than anything we've seen in the other games. The whole thing just didn't make sense from a time period perspective within his own universe. That's not even taking in account the iDroid (which I can live with) and those zombie soldiers that can create weapons out of thin air.

The other Metal Gear games have glaring plot holes when I look back on them. Liquid Snake hating Solid Snake because he got all the recessive genes is stupid and Solid got all the dominant ones. A small penis and dementia can be a dominant trait so don't know what Liquid is so angry about.

With that said, the better technology the more ambitious Kojima got and things just went a sudden left with the ending of MGSV. Kojima would be perfect if he had another writer to reign him in at times.

Reactions: red
Question - what game have you completed the most times? Football games aside, for me it's probably Metal Gear Solid 2. I remember completing that so many times mainly because I wanted to try and fully understand that last codec conversation with the colonel, Rose and Raiden. Probably finished the game at least 20 times.

This is a good question; it's hard to answer. (I don't know if you meant it in general, but I'm going for it anyway).

On the Genesis, I'd think either The Adventures of Batman and Robin, Golden Axe, or Sonic 3 and Knuckles (I'd often emulate it and try to get the highest score possible, though the fun died once I learned you can just infinitely spam enemies in Launch Base).

In the Dreamcast/Xbox era, Power Stone and Ready 2 Rumble Boxing come to mind (they were quick in that sense). As to a longer game, PSO or Toy Commander probably takes the cake. I loved those games more than a human should love an non-human creature.

Excellent, Nigel; GA and S3&K are LITERALLY 2 and 3 for me lol... but Final Fight CD is first!

I believe I am up to 217 completions of the game and I've been really close to 1 CCing it on Mania, the past 7 times I've played it (and I would definitely 1CC it if I got an extra life at every 200,000 points, which can be enabled in the options, but I only ever toggle 1 extra life at 100,000 points and that's it).

Also, it took me 11 years to beat it for the first time, but once I did, I just went to town lol

I think, just for the sake of saying that I have, I will toggle the multiple extra lives option and capture it, to show off ;)

Back