Random Shenmue Anime Thoughts

Do you think Season 2 (if there's going to be one) would expand Niao Sun's role in the story? One of my biggest problems with 3 was that she barely got any scenes despite being one of the most important characters moving forward. She's effectively the main antagonist of the second half of the game yet we didn't even get to fight her, which is a massive shame for a character that's been hyped for a long time.

So I just got done watching episodes 1-4. It's a nice anime. The pacing is fast. I love seeing all the easter eggs and references from the game. Shennue 1 could have easily been 24 episodes but maybe Yu and the creators felt like a faster pace was needed. Or maybe Yu and the others want to get the anime lined up with the games. All in all I'm glad that Shenmue has a anime.

So I just got done watching episodes 1-4. It's a nice anime. The pacing is fast. I love seeing all the easter eggs and references from the game. Shennue 1 could have easily been 24 episodes but maybe Yu and the creators felt like a faster pace was needed. Or maybe Yu and the others want to get the anime lined up with the games. All in all I'm glad that Shenmue has a anime.
Glad you're enjoying it bruce.

I doubt it could go for 24 eps. Unfortunately the budget isn't high enough and you can see it in certain episodes throughout the anime. I reckon 13 episodes was the right call with the limit budget they had.

Ideally, id love a 24 episode run with shenmue 1 being 12 eps and shenmue 2 being 12 eps.

What do you think of the changes they made?

The changes don't bother me. This anime is also about appealing to a new audience so some changes were expected. 98% of the story is intact. The only negative I have is the pacing is to fast. All in all its still a great adaptation of the games. The references and Easter eggs make it worth all on its own. Yu and the creators did a amazing job look forward to watching the next 4 episodes tomorrow.

Just finished watching all 12 episodes. Im grateful that Shenmue has expanded to being more than just a game. I really want to love this anime but for me a like will have to do. The pacing is just to fast. Basically this anime is a recap if the first two games. I do hope we get future seasons and games of course but I don't see myself revisiting this in the future.

Just finished watching all 12 episodes. Im grateful that Shenmue has expanded to being more than just a game. I really want to love this anime but for me a like will have to do. The pacing is just to fast. Basically this anime is a recap if the first two games. I do hope we get future seasons and games of course but I don't see myself revisiting this in the future.

I agree about the fast pacing in some parts, more in the Yokosuka arc, i wished that the Yokosuka arc was longer in the anime, but with just 13 episodes for Shenmue I and II is understandable, to me just the fact that we got a Shenmue anime is amazing.

The ideal in my opinion would have been a Shenmue anime with 24 episodes, or even with 34 episodes like the Virtua Fighter anime, this way with more slow pace in some parts, more scenes, more development for the characters and much more, but it is what it is.

A lot of things were cut out, but i don't agree that the anime is basically just a recap of the first two games.

The anime expanded a lot of characters like Lan Di, Shenhua, Joy, Wong and many others, we even saw Shenmue III characters, we even saw some things before the events of the first game like the martial arts tournament, Ryo relation with Iwao before the first game, how Ryo got his scar in this version, we even saw Nozomi in school, probably in Suka High, with the anime we saw Mark helping Ryo with the forklift, with the anime we even saw more about Joy story with her family, something that don't have in the game, same thing about some things in relation to Wong.

This things and other things to me were a beautiful way to expand the story. Some things i prefer the anime version but other thing i prefer the games version, to me the anime complement the games and the games complement the anime, the anime is like a companion to the games in my opinion.

I agree, i hope we can get more Shenmue anime seasons and more Shenmue games, the Shenmue franchise is more alive now than it was in the past and this is beautiful, LetsGetShenmue4 ❤️

I agree about the fast pacing in some parts, more in the Yokosuka arc, i wished that the Yokosuka arc was longer in the anime, but with just 13 episodes for Shenmue I and II is understandable, to me just the fact that we got a Shenmue anime is amazing.

The ideal in my opinion would have been a Shenmue anime with 24 episodes, or even with 34 episodes like the Virtua Fighter anime, this way with more slow pace in some parts, more scenes, more development for the characters and much more, but it is what it is.

A lot of things were cut out, but i don't agree that the anime is basically just a recap of the first two games.

The anime expanded a lot of characters like Lan Di, Shenhua, Joy, Wong and many others, we even saw Shenmue III characters, we even saw some things before the events of the first game like the martial arts tournament, Ryo relation with Iwao before the first game, how Ryo got his scar in this version, we even saw Nozomi in school, probably in Suka High, with the anime we saw Mark helping Ryo with the forklift, with the anime we even saw more about Joy story with her family, something that don't have in the game, same thing about some things in relation to Wong.

This things and other things to me were a beautiful way to expand the story. Some things i prefer the anime version but other thing i prefer the games version, to me the anime complement the games and the games complement the anime, the anime is like a companion to the games in my opinion.

I agree, i hope we can get more Shenmue anime seasons and more Shenmue games, the Shenmue franchise is more alive now than it was in the past and this is beautiful, LetsGetShenmue4 ❤️

I call it recaps because their was alot of meat left on the bone as far as fleshing out the story of Shenmue. Shenmue 1 episode wise was incredibly short. There was some expansion with the story and some characters but we actually don't know if its cannon to the Shenmue universe. There were also some obvious changes that we know are incorrect.

I 100% agree with you on being happy and satisfied that Shenmue even had a anime to begin with. Being a devout Shenmue fanatic there no way I could dislike it but also being a anime fanatic I don't see myself recommending this as a much watch anime. I could only recommend it solely for increasing Shenmue profile to the masses.

Just a thought: would it be worth adding #LetsGetShenmueSeason2 (sorry, I'm terrible at hashtags - there must be a snappier version to go with) to our #LetsGetShenmue4 monthly tweetathons and include Crunchyroll in our usual tags?

A monthly tweetathon should be enough to communicate our interest, and it sounds like they wouldn't need that much convincing if Season 1 has done well and they're already thinking about a Season 2.

Just a thought: would it be worth adding #LetsGetShenmueSeason2 (sorry, I'm terrible at hashtags - there must be a snappier version to go with) to our #LetsGetShenmue4 monthly tweetathons and include Crunchyroll in our usual tags?

A monthly tweetathon should be enough to communicate our interest, and it sounds like they wouldn't need that much convincing if Season 1 has done well and they're already thinking about a Season 2.

Tbh that's not a bad hashtag at all. But we've added Crunchyroll etc into the tweets where we can and will combine game and anime tweets to make the point.

Open to other suggestions as well but we're starting this on May 4th!

Also in our tweets make sure we're going after the accounts @Crunchyroll @SEGA etc to make sure we flood their timelines.

Decided to redo my review on MAL since the anime ended. My opinions are still mostly the same as the OG review, but I gave more detail.

For those who are canceling their Crunchyroll Memberships now that the anime is over, fill out the survey that gets brought up when your canceling the membership. Hopefully enough feedback will convince Crunchyroll to fund another season.
View attachment 15337
I did the same thing last night :D

Sidenote - Can anyone find me a decent res shot of Lan Di stting in the chair like in Shenmue 3? Want to make a new image for the 4th May Tweetathon and can't find it:
1651476360150.png
(This frame but in the Amine)

I've been offline since the 5th episode been super busy with traveling. So I have a ton of catching up to do with the anime. So how did everybody feel about it? Did it exceed your expectations? How has it been doing viewership wise? Are you pumped for a season 2?

Back