Random Shenmue Anime Thoughts

One of the most fascinating things to me about the anime is what in-game day will the anime end on?

Will the anime stretch out to Feb 23 1987 as the starting point for his arrival in Hong Kong like it is if you don't have a save file for One.

What weather will the anime use for everything (the free roam, cutscenes etc)

Will it include just the key Nozomi phone calls? Or other miscellaneous conversations.

Little details like that I'm absolutely excited for.

I do hope the anime expands on the story, especially if it is mostly only covering the first game. We've all played the game to death so just a beat for beat version in a different format won't work for me, nor do I think it would take advantage of film as a medium. It would be cool to see how they adapt the story and if they choose to expand upon the characters with new scenes.

Starting to get some serious Shenmue 3 vibes from this project. I know it’s still early days, but the lack of any kind of news again has me wondering why they announced this so soon and whether anybody outside of the fan base will still care when they finally get around to releasing it.

Part of me is wondering whether the early announcement was done to strengthen negotiations with potential publishers for a fourth game, but I can’t imagine the underwhelming response will have had much of an effect in that regard.

Starting to get some serious Shenmue 3 vibes from this project. I know it’s still early days, but the lack of any kind of news again has me wondering why they announced this so soon and whether anybody outside of the fan base will still care when they finally get around to releasing it.

Part of me is wondering whether the early announcement was done to strengthen negotiations with potential publishers for a fourth game, but I can’t imagine the underwhelming response will have had much of an effect in that regard.
It's possible. I wouldn't say the response was that underwhelming. Shenmue was in the top 5 trending terms on Twitter following the initial announcement. I'd agree that there's been some concern expressed over whether the anime will replace the games/what the anime may or may not cover.

I'd agree that news has dried up, though we did have the Famistu interview in October about the anime so there's been tidbits. Hopefully we will get more in the new year.

The interviews around the Anime and the fact it has support from Sega and Yu and is being produced by a capable team assures me it's in safe hands. There are far less questions about the end product than Shenmue III had during the kickstarter so it seems like it has all been sensibly planned out and budgeted for.

Yeah, I get a real solid professional vibe from the interviews we have had which I never really got as much from Shenmue III's development cycle.

Also considering that this project has supposedly been in the works in one form or another since before Shenmue III was even a thing, the announcement could have came so much earlier. I'm pretty confident they know what they're doing here.

The folk behind the animie do this kind of thing on the daily. It's not like Shenmue III where (for the most part) everyone's been out of the game for 14 years.

Though, I will concede that more news is always a welcome thing.

It’s only been 3 months since the announcement and in those 3 months, we’ve gotten 2 interviews going in depth as to how they plan to adapt the first 2 games, different animation techniques they’re using, how they have a bigger budget than typical anime, etc

They just started the production on the anime with 2 episodes already being worked on. I think asking for more news right now is asking a bit much when their isn’t much news to go off on about currently.

Also it’s only been a few months since the announcement. I think we need to chill with the shenmue 3 comparisons.

They just started the production on the anime with 2 episodes already being worked on. I think asking for more news right now is asking a bit much when their isn’t much news to go off on about currently.
My concerns are nothing to do with the quality of the anime. Other than a piece of concept art I’ve really got very little to go on in that respect, but I do get the impression that they’ll probably do a decent job of it from what little we’ve heard (at least from a fan’s perspective - I’m not so sure about a more general audience).

What worries me is their approach to marketing it and their strange decision to announce so early. My comparison to S3 was more to do with the management of hype.

S3’s Kickstarter blew up the internet when it was announced and yet by the time it was ready for release, it did so with in an incredibly low key way. So much so, in fact, that a lot of people didn’t even seem to notice that the game was out. This obviously wasn’t helped by the quality and subsequent reviews - but I do think had the campaign been handled better they could have picked up more day one sales before the negative word of mouth effectively killed any chances of success.

After Shenmue 3’s mediocre showing and due to there having not been a 15 year gap this time around, the anime’s announcement was always likely to garner less attention, but another slow trickle approach will likely lead to another underwhelming release. If it’s absolutely amazing this won’t be a problem, but if it’s merely good or okay it could have a huge impact on viewership.

What worries me is their approach to marketing it and their strange decision to announce so early. My comparison to S3 was more to do with the management of hype.

S3’s Kickstarter blew up the internet when it was announced and yet by the time it was ready for release, it did so with in an incredibly low key way.
Yeah, I get what you're saying here. We'll just have to wait and see if that marketing push comes.

I'm confident that it will though. Yu Kiyozono claims he deliberately picked Shenmue to adapt into an anime as he wanted a strong title to market overseas.
I had been wanting to further strengthen our overseas content delivery, and was looking for a strong title for overseas. I thought that Shenmue would be one contender.
(https://www.phantomriverstone.com/2020/10/part-12-shenmue-animation-famitsu.html)

It would be weird if they just released it without fanfare given the diliberate thought process behind the choice.

wow! I must have missed that one!
Great news tho! Makes me think, things are moving up!
When Yu was shown episodes 1 & 2 they didn't have voices yet. I found the interview it was from October of last year. Famitsu is interviewing Yu Suzuki and Yu Kiyozono the president of the anime company. If you want to read the full interview Phantom River Stone did a excellent translation of it like always.

Part 1: https://www.phantomriverstone.com/2020/10/part-12-shenmue-animation-famitsu.html?m=1

Part 2: https://www.phantomriverstone.com/2020/10/part-22-shenmue-animation-famitsu.html?m=1

I still remember the first time I used to watch Yu Yu Hakusho, it become whilst hits guava & co turned into assigned to actual world as reaction team to tackle the increasing attack presence and attacks. Also, I'm able to consider it actually that ichigo lost his fight against grimmjo, and grimmjo became forced to come back back to las Noches through Tousen, and the episode seemed to show a touch that the Shinigami understand this black, blind, badass dude. At that factor I used to be intrigued a lot, I need to recognize the historical past of this guy, his records, why the Shinigami is aware of him, etc. And my pal advised me that the Shinigami's weapon - the zanpakutou - has three varieties of states, the sealed form, ShiKai and Banka, with the latter being its maximum effective nation; and I used to be only offered through hitsugaya icy Banka, and there were nine different captains with the equal potentials. So I wager the ones were the cause why I idea Yu Yu Hakusho become a terrific anime lengthy, historic stories of factors, and evolving weapons that are precise to every person.
And that I remember I had my jaw dropped over what I believe the finest plot twist in the anime history somewhere in the long run.

It is nevertheless a great anime to me, in spite of all the ones filler arcs. The tale continues to be exciting to me, though no longer as thrilling, deep and intriguing like the sooner arcs. Now, it is good to me because I actually need to know how they might animate the manga - the animation manufacturing is steadily enhancing, and new powers and abilities maintain getting introduced - and how ichigo could defeat yacht (the present day awful man boss) and how the anime might end remains intrigue me, particularly the ability war over the truth that ichigo in some way has some relation to yacht, one among his nice buddy has a few relation to the awful guy as properly, and the complete universe are at stake, now. There are also some Shinigami captains who're but to reveal their Banka, which I eagerly wait to look what they might do and look like, it maintains me questioning how they would be like, understanding their ShiKai states and talents, powers, and the person of the person that possess it.

View:
yu yu hakusho canon episodes

Back